Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Beta naming suggestion

Can I make the suggestion that betas, as well as their build number, include their base build number also? So if I'm patched to 1.54 and I'm looking for a new beta I can identify from the name that 1.54 is the base build, with the beta build number being appended.

154_1234 for example.

Just a small thing.

I guess that makes some level of sense, but as long as you know what the 1.54 build number is (72967 I believe) you can just figure out if the latest betas are newer by the larger build number.

you mean in server browser list or where ?

Shouldn't beta patch always be the latest build and therefore the latest base build anyway ?

Shouldn't beta patch always be the latest build and therefore the latest base build anyway ?

I note that the last official patch and the last beta were released at around the same time, but I don't know which is the latest build. Not by the version numbers anyway.

In-game, in the lower right corner, you can see what the build number is. It shows up as x.xx.xxxxx. For instance, the latest build is 1.54.72967.

He probably means on the beta patch page and in the file name, where it only says "build so-and-so".

Personally, I got used to saving the patch installers in folders called e.g. "1.54.72888" for a release patch or "1.54.72967_beta" for a beta, that helps keeping track (I keep a few patches just in case I want to roll back for some reason).

Also it would be nice to have a timestamp (including timezone of course) on the beta page to see when each version was released.

He probably means on the beta patch page and in the file name, where it only says "build so-and-so".

Personally, I got used to saving the patch installers in folders called e.g. "1.54.72888" for a release patch or "1.54.72967_beta" for a beta, that helps keeping track (I keep a few patches just in case I want to roll back for some reason).

Also it would be nice to have a timestamp (including timezone of course) on the beta page to see when each version was released.

Yep that's exactly it :)

Even if it's only the zip file that has the name, that'd be good.

Really I don't see any benefit changing such a futile thing now.

From my experience I can say these kind of changes just give more room for errors.

I'm not against something like this, but probably addonsync and other tools would need changes to correctly pick up the new beta's...

Not really an argument not to do it though.

What does count as an argument is that time spent for this would be better spent elsewhere.

If its not broke, why fix it?

-k