Sign in to follow this  
Narcosis

Field Artillery munitions

Is there a mod that enables us to pick different types of Artillery munitions besides HE, such as Area Denial Artillery Munitions (ADAM), Smoke, Star shells?

you have HE, WP, SMOKE, SADARM in the artillery module in the game ;)

also you got "flares" though i cant remember the english name right now :P

HE, WP, smoke, SADARM, Laser (copperhead'ish), and illumination. Only ground bursts for HE and WP, and 120mm mortar seems to only have HE (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Problem areas:

HE - Only ground impacts. Would have loved proximity fuzing with different explosive damage to match.

WP - Only ground impacts. Weird damage system, no incendiary capabilities.

Smoke - Highly limited in actually blocking AIs view when they already have a fix.

SADARM - No real problems, just the weird sound caused by doppler effect.

Laser - Not easy to get a hit from always, also weird sound caused by doppler effect.

Illumination - Doesn't illuminate much at all and AI seems blind to it. Need to put additional #lightobject and particle effects to make it look good, but even then it has problems.

Also there are no weather restrictions on the munitions. And typically we're not having any denied fire zones with non precision destructive munitions (HE/WP).

Adding logic to avoid blue-on-blue is not hard. Have that in my addon already.

What weather restrictions are you referring to, CG? Arty tends to be more all-weather than close-air support.

yeah, artillery usually dont care what weather it is (unless it´s something like a hurricane or something other unpredictable)

and i know this since i have spent some time in the artillery myself.

Smoke in rain, unwanted incendiary effects (and maybe wind) problems with flares, copperheads through clouds etc.

If you have rain heavy enough to effect smoke, you don't need smoke.

Agree there should be more incendiary side-effects, but that is not arty-specific.

Laser and SADARM vs haze - yeah that should be simmed. But again that is general issue.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I read something about smoke and rain, but now I can only find the opposite, lol. But there are other denials as well; DPICM in rain (causes duds) or in slopy terrain. Or HE not to be used in forests. Or certain fuses in certain conditions etc. The "rule list" was long and complex. I want to impose some of these, basically to reflect an FDC telling you the rules - you can't always get what you want where you want it. I'm a bit tired of the Domination tendency to level every target area to the ground. I don't even see the fun in doing it myself. For Copperhead, I just deny the round if the cloud cover is more than 50%. And forget about HE/WP in rural areas as well... :p We're there to gain the trust of the civilian population, not level every village they have to the ground :D

So to get the different ammo types in the game do you need to do scripting in the mission editor? I've found that D-30's I've bought in warfare just have HE-FRAG...

Yes - you need at least a little scripting to specify the ammo type in the fire mission. It's not hard at all.