Sign in to follow this  
pogoman979

CO16 Insurgency

Hey Pogoman,

Weve done a bit testing with 0.68 and came across a few issues:

- no minigrenades to choose in the loadout (quite important to clear houses, imo)

- after slotswap player model stayed ingame (could even kill my previous self)

- vanished from my team (was in slot 2, no teammates shown and they could no longer see me,happened also in .67)

maybe connected to the lines in rpt:

Unit slot not found (lots of this one...)

Wrong unit index 0 (unit is not in the slot)

- under certain conditions a player is not able to capture sectors that are free. Either related to bugged slots (?) or the previous problem. We couldnt reproduce it yet.

- no biggy, but empty enemy vehicles prevent a sector to become green.

Theres also a problem with the spawning of patrols and the inf groups where you can easily produce a "lockup".

- Patrol lockup: it seems that patrols dont respawn, cos their vehicles dont get deleted/removed (I guess max patrols are limited?)

- Group lockup: its easy to lockup the inf-groups cos their spawn isnt balanced enough. E.g. a single player can get all enemy group spawns around his location, so the rest of the map is empty and stays empty. (We had this problem with a player who was afk.)

- this lockup is also a problem, when a squad/group/player decides to break out of the base and gets a foothold in zargaband. All enemy groups can still be bound around the base so the rest of the map stays empty. No spawns.

Beside the problem of the lockup of enemies the mission plays great. Surrendering became much better. I wish we still had a better option to rearm. E.g. theres not enough ammo in the humvees, so it would be great if you could up this to at least 20-30 rifle mags, more grenades, 5 satchels etc. Especially grenades are important to clear houses. A few M136s wouldnt hurt to. Love the one-shot mod for M136s.

If you get the enemy respawns balanced the mission will play like charm! thanks alot!

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

ai do not spawn in destroyed buildings however when a building gets destroyed for some reason the ai inside dont really get hurt, even when they're mostly buried by the rubble :/. idk its something for BI to fix. i've been thinking about adding civilians however adding noncombatants to the mission seems like too much of a waste of server resources.

That would bring up the question if a cache gets destroyed when a house gets destroyed?

I understand your concern about civs and serverload. I would suggest to make civilians optional via parameters?!

Edited by Zothen

Would you consider making AI team mates optional? Hard to believe, but not all of us can get together at least 4 friends to play ARMA all the time. :D

Pogoman,

A real innovative mission, something new at last !

I was thinking along the same lines recently (but have none of your smarts to make it !) but wanted to be more strategic in outlook. ie, similar COIN operation but over a larger scale.

Would it be possible to produce a Takistan version with large red grid squares, and the insurgents spawning in the villages. This would allow patrolling of a hostile area, where you know where the bad guys are operating but never quite sure exactly where they are. To anyone who knows anything about Afghanistan this would be very familiar; insurgency indeed.

In addition for this version, once an area is captured maybe it would be possible to use construction to build a base and recruit AI to hold that area. If the enemy subsequently attack to recapture the AI call for help. Bringing about frantic moves to defend.

Good stuff pogoman - keep it coming :)

ok im off to bed now but heres a few responses in no particular order:

@Zothen

firstly cheers for the detailed feedback!

unfortunately the humv's cant hold much ammo (they're at full capacity already), so i may add a deployable ammo crate system ala domo.

i havent experienced any of the slot issues you are talking about in any version of insurgency ever, so am not sure whats going on there.

patrol lockups do not happen, a new patrol spawns only when the crew from the vehicle of the old patrol is all dead, and when the new patrol spawns the old vehicle isn't deleted. i like it this way because abandoned vehicles/vehicle wrecks add to the atmosphere and dont appear to harm server performance.

wrt group lockup:

ai spawn on a per player basis, ie each player gets his own group of 5 ai. so if one player runs into the middle of a city, only 5 ai will spawn, if 2 run in, 10 will spawn.

group lockup can be achieved for example if lots of players ran into an area, and so lots of ai spawned but then everyone except one player ran off again without killing any ai. now obviously the ai wont despawn because theres a player nearby. I will have a look at fixing this for the next version also, however i dont believe its too critical an issue atm as you really shouldnt be charging off into other areas when the current area you're in is still hostile.

@BF2_Trooper

I may add blufor ai in future yes

@UGLY58

a takistan port is planned once zargabad insurgency is perfected

i'm generally against adding in additional ai for purposes that dont invlove shooting at players, as it means less enemies for blufor and so less fun.

Edited by pogoman979

wrt group lockup:

group lockup can be achieved for example if lots of players ran into an area, and so lots of ai spawned but then everyone except one player ran off again without killing any ai. now obviously the ai wont despawn because theres a player nearby. I will have a look at fixing this for the next version also, however i dont believe its too critical an issue atm as you really shouldnt be charging off into other areas when the current area you're in is still hostile.

Seems thats exactly what happened. We were 3 players on the server and one was AFK. We cleared the settlement n-w of the base and wanted to move on towards the city, but obviously the groups have been hold locked by the afk player that we had to kick after we noticed the problem.

just playing 0.68 since some minutes and it runs much better than 0.67

i can confirm no HEs are available in gear selection,also no ammo for the M136 and my hummer floats in the air on respawn

Apart from that i rly like it,finally capped a Insurgent and recieved some vital info on a cache location (with Zeus_AI running) - its kinda fun running for a few seconds chasing the Insurgent till he decides to surrender

Unluckly that the dialog to surrender comes mostly to late,means i shot 4 Insurgents that wanted to surrender but i was in the Full Combat mode so .... :D

just playing 0.68 since some minutes and it runs much better than 0.67

i can confirm no HEs are available in gear selection

M203 HE rounds are "1rd HE M" in the list. (I think that is what Zothen means by "mini-grenades.") Maybe "203" was cutoff of "M203" at the end.

also no ammo for the M136

Doesn't need ammo. It is one shot disposable.

Edited by akd42

when i want to have 8 HE´s i usually drop my gun @ weapon crate and pick it up again,in that case i get full mags,but no more HE´s

Read the thing with the M136 just a few minutes ago :rolleyes: still,if i pick up the tube i expected to see at least 1 shot in the gear

Well,minor things - ignore me,i´m no sane person :yay:

when i want to have 8 HE´s i usually drop my gun @ weapon crate and pick it up again,in that case i get full mags,but no more HE´s

Read the thing with the M136 just a few minutes ago :rolleyes: still,if i pick up the tube i expected to see at least 1 shot in the gear

Well,minor things - ignore me,i´m no sane person :yay:

You want it to take up 6 magazine slots for no reason?

Unluckly that the dialog to surrender comes mostly to late,means i shot 4 Insurgents that wanted to surrender but i was in the Full Combat mode so .... :D

Actually I find this the best part of the surrendering system... the famous "oops" effect! :D

M203 HE rounds are "1rd HE M" in the list. (I think that is what Zothen means by "mini-grenades.") Maybe "203" was cutoff of "M203" at the end.

Have to check that! Thanks for the clue, cos I would never have guessed the M203s behind that.... strange acronym...

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

Oh, and I really would love to see Bon's IED-script from the takistan force mission, too!

Edited by Zothen

Hmm, we had a litttle problem:

We arrested a lot of insurgents but did not found any weapon depot after the first one:

arma2oa2010090221073749.jpg

We did comb through nearly the whole city without any success

How accurate are the cache intel markers? Just playing around on my own starting at the west base and gathered intel from two surrendered insurgents that led to markers in the oil producing area to the east/north east, one out around the pump jacks and another in the compounds just to the east. I searched both grids thoroughly and most of the adjacent grids but never found a cache.

well,i would say the markers give a hint on the estimated location,not the exact one

captured 6 guys,got 6 time different intel on the same cache,spread around the location from 50-250m - found the caches inside of houses/on balconys

Hope that helps ya out

Oh yea,when i leave the game having as example 2 caches done and come back a few hours later - even noone played on my server in the meantime - it gets reported that 5 caches are done

I dont know,maybe some sloppy talib dropped a smoke in the crate or its a error in the report/update task

Edited by TheScar

After a solid 5 hour session with our server full last night, some more feedback for Pogoman (thanks for joining us last night!) on v681.

1/. Optimisation? Is it OA or this mission?; our server sat on about an average of 5417 kbit/sec last night, which over 5 hours equates to almost 10GB of data server side...... Someone from AEF (Floydii?) was also suggesting the client side load was also very severe compared with say Domination (on OA), but I don't pretend to understand these things... He had to disconnect because it was chewing up too much of his bandwidth.

2/. AI surrender and Interrogation worked well in this latest version, nice work!

3/. Still struggling with the one AT per team loadout restriction implementation: after initially loading out with it, I never got the ability to grab an M136 or Jav again (after respawning), nor did anyone else in the team. Which ain't fun when you respawn at base to find a tank hammering the base... :p Personally I'd always prefer 2 M136s/AT in a 5 man fireteam, in case the first one misses, is dead, or fails to destroy the target..

4/. From Victim:

One suggestion I had was that after a crate blows up you get a few minutes breathing space where the OpFor spend some time regrouping and momentarily cease fire. This gives you some time to regroup, and provides a window for people to leave teams, allowing them to be re-structured.

Had a ball, so many "OMG" moments (entering a building to be surprised by insurgent coming down the stairs, or the number of times insurgents surrendered, but got shot in the heat of the moment)

Played on a server tonight and had endless problems. Never could use AT since "someone in your squad has it already", but there was only two of us, neither with AT. Picked up a SAW with a Scope, but couldn't save it to Loadout since it assigned it to the MG guy. I logged in as the MG guy and couldn't select anything since the menu kept refreshing several times a second. For some reason we got flooded with messages that our HMMWV was driving to fast, really??

But worst of all, my RPT filled up with 8 GIGS of divide by zero error messages with some player setname stuff. Crashed my client like 5 times before I figured out what was wrong.

Real fun mission, but 0.68 seems like trouble.

Oh, and yeah, the surrendering thing got me quite a few times. I'd turn a corner, shoot a guy, he'd start to stand up and raise his hands, but by that time I'd panicked and swiss cheesed him ;)

just a little fix release (0.69): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DHJS7JZZ

sorry it doesnt have more content but im really swamped with uni work atm.

changelog:

added percentage of accuracy to intel markers

added atv's at main for players stranded at main base.

fixed numerous bugs with 5th hitman unit in each squad (which was causing all the errors in the rpt file. i didnt give the new hitman units a capital letter which broke everything lol).

fixed squad weapon checkers to work correctly (this wasnt really broken the script was just far too strict and checked for weapons on the ground near the player).

reduced required kill streak for a10 to 12

reduced enemies near radius when spawning on players to 75m from 100m.

and many other forgotten tweaks.

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:38 PM ----------

BAF version of Insurgency (0.69):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=27KEWCLS

Not sure if youve already fixed it in .69 but in .67-.68 Ive encounted the problem that the respawn dialog wont show up sometimes so you cant respawn any longer. Needed to relog to fix that.

awesome awesome awesome. Me and my friends played the .68 version for a good 4 hours last night and had a blast. I added a few favorite BAF and OA weapons, and will probably add the entire vanilla/oa/baf weapon list in time (just for fun).

Its especially fun at dusk/night seeing tracers and muzzle flares.

A quick note for finding caches (although this seems to be fixed with .69): interrogate a ton of people and they will keep giving you locations. None of them are perfectly accurate, but you can triangulate the position based on where the suggested locations are clustered.

Great mission man.

On veteran or expert the AI rarely give up.

We had one out of 50 give up.

Makes finding the crates a bit hard :)

A few quick observations:

1. If you call an air support mission while in a vehicle, when you return the vehicle will be gone. I understand this may be by design, but might want to warn the player.

2. If a vehicle is "despawned" back to base at a moment when its engine is running, the engine will still be running in the empty vehicle in the base. (Not really a problem, but it is possible the vehicle could run out of gas and then be unable to move to the refueling point in base.)

3. For BAF version, it would be nice to add the BAF static weapons (GMG, GPMG, L111A1 minitripods).

1. should only occur if you were the only person within 300m of the vehicle which is hardly ever the case.

2. yeah i'll switch off the engine.

3. will add them in.

I've been playing a few matches on pub servers and i've noticed lately the intensity of the ai hasnt been very high, especially in the city. i have just made a few changes that should make the intensity much higher in terms of the number of engagements whilst maintaining the same number of ai. should have a version out sometime in a few days once im done with all my uni work :)

I've been playing a few matches on pub servers and i've noticed lately the intensity of the ai hasnt been very high, especially in the city. i have just made a few changes that should make the intensity much higher in terms of the number of engagements whilst maintaining the same number of ai. should have a version out sometime in a few days once im done with all my uni work :)

Agreed, its been 'relatively' do-able as a solo player in many instances in the last few versions. Especially with the armoured hummers (if used properly). So looking forward to an increase in intensity!