Sign in to follow this  
pogoman979

CO16 Insurgency

th_arma2oa2010-09-0418-55-26-71.jpg

W0mVLmzqtUg

Current nonbeta version: 0.72

http://www.file-upload.net/download-2874396/Insurgency0.72.rar.html

Armaholic (v0.72): http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11934

For beta versions go here: http://www.ausarma.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=419

This is a rewrite of my old insurgency mission from arma1. It has been in beta testing for almost a month and i'm finally happy with the stability and gameplay so am releasing it to the world. The mission only requires Operation arrowhead.

Since i dont have any media to accompany this post i will simply give you my guarantee that this mission is very good, and hopefully others who have played the beta can endorse it for me :P.

original ausarma thread for the mission is here:

http://www.ausarma.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=419

mission objectives (from briefing):

"The objective of the game is to find and destroy 9 ammo cache's.

You can find out intel on the location of these ammo caches by interrogating surrendered insurgents."

thanks to the VMA and ZSU clans for helping test with special mentions to A6-intruder, Ordeal, gnarly and kju for providing continuous feedback and servers to run the mission on.

Credits:

Insurgency is based off the gamemode created by the Project Reality team.

The ai vehicles use Kronzy's UPS.

The loadout dialog is a modified version of the one from benny's warfare.

all other scripts are written by me (pogoman).

you may modify the mission if you want but please make it obvious that it was you that modified it and not me, so i don't have to deal with people telling me i ruined the mission and to fix things i didnt break.

Edited by pogoman979

Thoroughly endorsed, great mission that keep us coming back!

Edited by gnarly_rider

I've tested this mission for some 5 minutes in SP all alone.

THIS MISSION KICKS ASS.

plays on.

-k

ps: isn't it only 12 player?

Edited by NkEnNy

Is this compatible with ACE and ZeusAI?

We killed several bad guys today and none of them wanted to surrender, how is it supposed to look? We just could not find a cache for about 40min.

just started playing this on me dedicated but i spotted 2 enemy UAZ/4x4s but after i opend fire on them and as soon as the crew bailed,they both disappeared and no kill on my list

Is this ment to be like this?

*edit*

seems to effect only patrols,all (stationary) defenders on houses do works still

The patrols seem to engage/open fire just fine,but as soon as you open fire on em they "disappear"

I dont get the point of the "loadout" option too,why add something that is already in the game? (no offense,just never played warfare,so i dont have a clue what should be better on this)

And even the server runs the mission on 45 FPS/client side 26 FPS the gameplay feels "laggy",at least on the start - strange :/

Edited by TheScar
addition

Absolutely fabulous mission Pogoman!!!!

I'm sure you remember me and A6 saying if you drive too fast it foxes the AI real bad,

As to your question about what else you could be looking for besides ammo caches, maybe add some key insurgent captains or persons of special interest that have a small group protecting him.

Or a IED that has to be destroyed like the ammo...radio tower....scud launcher ect.

Anyway very nice mission..my favourite so far for OA. well done!

sorry the vehicle patrols despawning is something i added in 5 seconds without thinking about it in the latest version. i'll also relax the ai's surrendering conditions.

i've never tested the mission with ace or zeus ai but if those mods are compatible with stock oa then it should be fine.

the point of the loadout script is to allow players to choose the weapons they spawn with, so you dont have to go back to main base to change your weapons. also it allows me to limit certain weapons. when i get home today i'll release 0.68 and fix some of the issues, so if anyone has some more not too major requests post in the next couple of hours.

cheers.

1. As a server side option -- possibly make a pair of respawning littlebird helicopters available at base? Littlebird helicopters would be extremely beneficial for both recon and reinforcement while being well kept in line by the many potent static defences.

It’d be best if loosing one of the littlebirds (or hummers) could have some sort of consequence. Perhaps an extra build up of troops at some location – or even enemy forces attempting to attack the base. (or stalking the area around the base)

Ie: For each littlebird you squander and the next enemy patrol gets a BMP/BRDM…

2. While the lack of addons is an advantage – adding the possiblity of BAF weapons/soldiers would be hot.

3. The M14 CCO could fill a notable gap in the inventory. Not as horrifyingly potent as the Mk17’s – but still very capable 7.62 killing power. A cool way of adding colour and not overwhelming firepower to the game. ïŠ

For the future:

It would be faithfully accurate if there was a chance dead enemy patrols dropped some sort of intel that could help soldiers track down the enemy weapons caches. It would mean sorting through the inventory of each killed enemy, but the rewards might be tremendous.

The mission runs very smooth and I must say the concept is awesome.

-k

Wow, this mission is really... intense! We gave 0.67 a go for a few hours and with Zeus AI it was a really brutal experience! =)

We had a few problems with respawns. Seems a slot (think it was slot 3 or 4) is somehow bugged.

Also the mission is lacking a proper supply system, imho. There seems to be no easy way to get some ammo to your buddies at the front. So its quite annoying to get back to base to get ammo for your weapon of choice. At least ammo crates in the base would be very helpful!

Also, as mentioned, it seems that enemies surrender too rarely.

Keep up the good work. Was a blast this evening. (and I can only recommend to use Zeus!)

PS: Nasty surprise when our fellow killed the first crate with his MG, hehe!

Edited by Zothen

Had a go at this for the first time today. Really great concept. I have a few questions:

1. Would it be possible to have enemies only spawn in enclosed structures, then move to roofs/outside? We were trying to clear a village and enemies kept respawning out of thin air on top of open oil platforms on our flank. Just a little too ridiculous to stomach.

2. Now I'm pretty sure this is impossible, but worth asking: would it be possible to prevent enemies spawning in structures that have already been cleared by your team?

If there are still spawning then that means you didnt clear that site!!

Also if it's not too much trouble I feel there could be more enemy jeeps with MG's ect.

Plus bikes or quads at base :)

If there are still spawning then that means you didnt clear that site!!

Are you sure? By site do you mean building or grid? I cleared one building and move on to the next in the compound and got shot in back by a guy in the building I had just cleared. Exactly how does the AI spawning work?

Also the mission is lacking a proper supply system, imho. There seems to be no easy way to get some ammo to your buddies at the front. So its quite annoying to get back to base to get ammo for your weapon of choice. At least ammo crates in the base would be very helpful!

the humv's come with a fair bit of ammo and at main base you can use the loadout script to update your weapons instantly (ie after you save your weapons if you are at main base they will be added to you right away so you dont have to wait for respawn).

Here is exactly how the ai spawning works:

AI will only spawn in grid squares that a red and even then they will only spawn in buildings.

the ai spawn for each player (currently there are 5 ai per player), and they will spawn in buildings directly in front of the player 400-500m away, they will despawn if there are no players within 500m of their position.

the ai will also spawn at a minimum distance of 50m from a player as long as no players within 500m of the spawn position are looking at that position.

Now the shortcoming with this script is it uses a bit of math to calculate where each player is looking depending on the direction they are facing, and in arma you cannot tell where people are looking when they use freelook or are in vehicles (as getDir only returns the direction the soldiers body is facing), so obviously the system isn't failsafe and people do occasionally see the ai spawning.

Now i know of a way to get where each player is looking but it requires screentoWorld which only works for the player, so i'd have to grab this data from each player which requires constant broadcasting of traffic and im not sure how much network lag this would create.

Now to partially combat this problem i've made the ai only spawn indoors if they are using the secondary spawn script which spawns them quite close to the player, however the ai spawning at 400m+ still spawn on roofs as well as otherwise there would be no ai on roofs except for the stationary guns.

i'm constantly refining the system so it will get better over time, the whole point of it however is to simulate the entire map being hostile without actually having units everywhere.

the humv's come with a fair bit of ammo and at main base you can use the loadout script to update your weapons instantly (ie after you save your weapons if you are at main base they will be added to you right away so you dont have to wait for respawn).

Here is exactly how the ai spawning works:

AI will only spawn in grid squares that a red and even then they will only spawn in buildings.

the ai spawn for each player (currently there are 5 ai per player), and they will spawn in buildings directly in front of the player 400-500m away, they will despawn if there are no players within 500m of their position.

the ai will also spawn at a minimum distance of 50m from a player as long as no players within 500m of the spawn position are looking at that position.

Now the shortcoming with this script is it uses a bit of math to calculate where each player is looking depending on the direction they are facing, and in arma you cannot tell where people are looking when they use freelook or are in vehicles (as getDir only returns the direction the soldiers body is facing), so obviously the system isn't failsafe and people do occasionally see the ai spawning.

Now i know of a way to get where each player is looking but it requires screentoWorld which only works for the player, so i'd have to grab this data from each player which requires constant broadcasting of traffic and im not sure how much network lag this would create.

Now to partially combat this problem i've made the ai only spawn indoors if they are using the secondary spawn script which spawns them quite close to the player, however the ai spawning at 400m+ still spawn on roofs as well as otherwise there would be no ai on roofs except for the stationary guns.

i'm constantly refining the system so it will get better over time, the whole point of it however is to simulate the entire map being hostile without actually having units everywhere.

Ah, I see. When I was shooting AI spawning on the oil derrick platforms over and over again, I was indeed in a humvee turret.

This really is a brilliant system. To hone in my question: would it be possible that if a player actually physically clears (as in enters and clears, not just kills) a spawn point building of occupants, that spawn point could be deactivated for a set period of time after players have exited the building or until all players have moved a set distance away from the location? The challenge of having to deal with infiltration and move quickly to clear the grid is great, but being shot in the back from a building you just cleared is frustrating and feels artificial. Seems there should be at least some distance or time for re-infiltration to occur.

i just added some code which tells me where the humv gunner is looking, it still doesnt help if you're in freelook but it means if you actively point your weapon in that direction the ai wont spawn hehe.

irt ai spawning in buildings just cleared, i can actually easily fix that. new ai only spawn for the player once the bodies of the killed ai have been cleared, and they will not spawn in buildings with dead ai bodies. currently however i just have body deleting conditions too lax (ie if theres no players and noones looking within 50m of a dead body it will clear, thus freeing up the house for spawning again). therefore i'll just make the min conditions for bodies to clear a bit higher.

Edited by pogoman979

LOVING this mission. Much better than dom or warfare.

PS: turned AI to 0.4, it was like playing against real people... i know i know they are as tactics as zombie geese but it feels like they are using them, cover becomes actually important, it was like a huge pvp between squads.

probably the best mission i have ever played online, thanks.

cheers mate ^^

New version 0.68: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=14Z0LTIH

changelog:

relaxed ai surrendering conditions

made a few tweaks to the ai spawning system.

added 1 extra unit to each squad (ie now 4 squads of 5 units).

fixed ai vehicles despawning instantly after being destroyed.

fixed occasional gear dialog flickering spaz out.

other forgotten changes.

updated first post.

LOVING this mission. Much better than dom or warfare.

PS: turned AI to 0.4, it was like playing against real people... i know i know they are as tactics as zombie geese but it feels like they are using them, cover becomes actually important, it was like a huge pvp between squads.

probably the best mission i have ever played online, thanks.

Amen!!! :yay::yay::bounce3::bounce3:

Awesome fun when played properly with a number of fireteams under the auspices of an overall commander (eg fireteam 1 leader is also overall commander, and his team holds back as primary heavy weapons group doing overwatch support, so he can keep overall perspective of the battlefield). We've been running this publicly as an organized event, with much success and enjoyment.

We tried out your mission for the first time yesterday, and it was pretty awesome. Our server uses the latest zeus_ai for a better ai.

Combined with your mission, using upsmon, and this new gameplay, we got a new experience playing arma. Thanks pogo.

We noticed just two issues, we were not able to get just one insurgent surrender. Even crawling on the ground with smashed knees, they tried to kill us.

The other issue was the machine gunner slot of the first group.

This Soldier was not able to select another loadout without clearing the whole equipment first. Otherwise the equipment selection was flickering like hell (it seems that the selection window was reloading again and again and again).

Last thing: please keep up pogo, this was one of the best missions ive played in the last 12 months!

Edited by [LB] boggler

So, what is this mission about? What I mean is, what is the objective / plot / etc? I don't mean to be a prick, but I just like to know what I'm downloading before I do (I'm on a limited download / month, lol..)

boggler;1737781']...we were not able to get just one insurgent surrender. Even crawling on the ground with smashed knees' date=' they tried to kill us...[/quote']

Agreed, they're pretty resistant to surrendering now which makes finding those crates a much slower process.

0.68 fixes the surrendering issues (see previous page).

So, what is this mission about? What I mean is, what is the objective / plot / etc? I don't mean to be a prick, but I just like to know what I'm downloading before I do (I'm on a limited download / month, lol..)

"The objective of the game is to find and destroy 9 ammo cache's.

You can find out intel on the location of these ammo caches by interrogating surrendered insurgents."

i just added some code which tells me where the humv gunner is looking, it still doesnt help if you're in freelook but it means if you actively point your weapon in that direction the ai wont spawn hehe.

irt ai spawning in buildings just cleared, i can actually easily fix that. new ai only spawn for the player once the bodies of the killed ai have been cleared, and they will not spawn in buildings with dead ai bodies. currently however i just have body deleting conditions too lax (ie if theres no players and noones looking within 50m of a dead body it will clear, thus freeing up the house for spawning again). therefore i'll just make the min conditions for bodies to clear a bit higher.

Awesome. This is truly my dream game mode come true. Do AI currently spawn in buildings that have been destroyed but not cleared? I ran into a number of enemies that were invisible in collapsed building rubble. Not sure if they were already there before the building was destroyed or if they spawned into the rubble. That might be another situation in which there should be some restrictions on AI spawning if there isn't already, but would need to be balanced by a plausible reason to not destroy every building you come across. Perhaps a chance of civilian presence inside a building or a chance to gain intel by searching an intact building?

ai do not spawn in destroyed buildings however when a building gets destroyed for some reason the ai inside dont really get hurt, even when they're mostly buried by the rubble :/. idk its something for BI to fix. i've been thinking about adding civilians however adding noncombatants to the mission seems like too much of a waste of server resources.