Sign in to follow this  
The.Yield

ATI 10.8 Drivers with 10.8a CAPs (Good news and bad news)

If anyone out there is running Crossfire ATI cards like me (and you keep up with driver news) then you were no doubt excited to read about the new Catalyst 10.8s and the associated hotfix 10.8a crossfire app profiles.

Long story short is they claim to have added OA crossfire support without the need to change the name of the EXE to Arma2.

Good news is that it works for me. Crossfire activates and I get greatly improved framerates for sure.

Bad news is that this results in flickering color and corrupt LOD's (things not drawing at the right detail levels).

Has anyone tried these new drivers and gotten similar results?

Well I noticed this, if I ran it on a single core the game would look like it used to on Arma 2, that is everything is the right detail and the LOD's loaded. However if I ran it on crossfire the LOD's refused to load, everything looked horrid and the graphics just seemed worse than they used to be, I have no idea what the issue is.

I *Think* crossfire activates for me with the new drivers, because I seem to be able to really turn up the graphics settings and still get an improved frame rate, but I don't know how to see for sure what's being unloaded to what GPU. I was able to go from normal to high shadows, low to normal object detail, normal to very high textures, none to normal post-processing, and max anistropic filtering with an improvement in frames per second. It feels pretty smooth now, in fact, and looks great (Especially the soft shadows on vegetation). Before the driver update, these settings would have been a slide show, so I assume it's working.

Haven't had any LOD issues, but I've only messed around with the editor in Chernarus, and the 2nd BAF campaign mission, so it might be different in a more intense mission.

I'm running CO on an Alienware M17 with 2 Mobility Radeon 4850's.

I am running crossfire as well and am happy about 10.8s finally working without exe swapping but I have the same issue with the LOD. I'll be right in front of a bush and it is a big blob. It completely ruins the game. I just fired up the BAF missions and it is bad.

I may go back to the 10.4's with updated crossfire profiles. They seem to be the best. Also you can send info to the catalyst maker at twitter here:

http://twitter.com/catalystmaker

If enough of us post he may look into it.

I have to say 10.8's are working wonders for me.

Iv set my catalyst ai to advanced and my 4870x2 is now running the game very well, all detail levels could be bumped up one notch.

Might be a combo of 10.8 & the new 1.54 patch but it's definitely slot smoother now :-)

Good news was that finally there would be some use for Crossfired ATI's for ArmA2, but..

Bad news went this way, after installing Catalyst 10.8 AND newest patch 1.54 for OA, I've been getting strange graphical bug in start menu (lightning shaped gap from side to side through the screen moving up and down) and in-game when moving around with mouse picture is warping.. of that can't think of anything else but it seems like that game is trying to display 3D (overlapped pictures), uhm.. shame that I ain't got no 3D glasses on me.

So yes, not working here as should.

But I can confirm that both ATI 5770's are working in Crossfire-mode when playing. Regret to say, but as it is now, it's unplayable :/

With no help from these:

-Tried to put everything in-game on LOW settings

-Tried enabling Catalyst A.I. to Advanced (as rory_pamphilon had, though with different cards)

I have to say 10.8's are working wonders for me.

Iv set my catalyst ai to advanced and my 4870x2 is now running the game very well, all detail levels could be bumped up one notch.

Might be a combo of 10.8 & the new 1.54 patch but it's definitely slot smoother now :-)

Well thats good to hear, but you should check your "3Dspeed" of your extra GPU it is in 2D mode, on all drivers after 10.5, for 4870X2s...

The 10.3 and 10.4a are good, the only thing i can see is that the 10.8s gave you actual CF with out renaming the arma2oa.exe. Which you had to do to get any CF CFX with OA installed. The rename was just removing "oa" from the .exe

arma2.exe.

Yeah basically five months of drivers with no 3D speed on your other gpu...

don't forget to use new ARMA 2:OA public beta (from today) ...

Well, 1.54 plus the 10.8 drivers started off really nice, but after several minutes of play, it starts stuttering really badly to the point where it's unplayable. I've adjusted all the Catalyst Control Center settings, and dropped all the ingame graphics settings down, but it still went from being really smooth to unplayable in about 5-10 minutes.

I've rolled back to the 10.4 ATI Drivers, and renamed arma2oa.exe to arma2.exe, and the combination of the two fixed Crossfire for me, and it stays smooth the whole time. I've literally gone from 20fps to a steady 50-60 fps, and that's after turning a LOT of graphics options up (Post-processing on Normal, very high textures, high object detail, normal terrain, normal shadows).

The beta patch is working in crossfire, but only when I rename the .exe file to force Crossfire.

Ditto to the above post. Rolled back to 10.4 and the problems I experienced with textures not loading quickly or fully enough disappeared.

Took the same step of renaming the exe and viola 47 fps in the benchmark (slightly more eye-candy than Gabe....lol)

Using the latest 10.8b hotfix, with the latest ARMA2 OA beta, I still get flashing world-light and corrupt LODs with crossfire enabled. When I turn crossfire off, all is well.

Sad :(

works good/fine with 3115(waiting for Acre and Jay), Fixed my 4870x2's and I am now using arma2oa.exe, instead of the rename. There is a few odd issues, but maybe do to beta, will test more. They happen when using PP.

Installed right over the 10.4a

It is best to use the beta patches with this set.