Sign in to follow this  
w0w00t

Computer shuts off after x min/hours of playing.

I've had this problem for a few months now. At first, I thought it was my PSU, and I got a new one. Didn't help at all. I could hardly play for 10 minutes on Normal textures + video memory, no anti aliasing, anistropic filter, no post processing, very low terrain, low objects detail, and high shadows.

For awhile now, I've been trying to play the game, on the lowest settings, 800 x 600 windowed, with the processor power set way down. Unfortunately, that doesn't help much at all. Recently, with the release of 1.54 and the BAF, I decided screw it, and tried the game at my normal settings, full screen 1440x900 resolution- and I was able to play for 6-7 hours STRAIGHT.

After I stopped playing, I decided to update ACE, but it was being dumb and screwing stuff up so I decided not to bother with it, and continued to play vanilla. Problem is right after that, my comp shut off after about 15 minutes. Right before I decided to post this, I tried one more time, and the game shut off after being at the main menu for not even 10 seconds.

What do? I get this feeling its my processor, because it's shut off while browsing the internet and playing TF2.

k thx

Definitely sounds like a hardware issue; but random shut-downs can be hard to track. Could be RAM, mobo, CPU...pretty much anything.

But, it could also be heat, and it's shutting down to keep from overheating; so check your temps and fans/heatsinks to make sure they're all turning. Get some software that monitors temps and see what they are at idle and load.

Also system specs would help!

I've already checked the temps, it runs normally.

I get this feeling its my processor though, seeing as when I set it's power down I can play longer before exploding.

oh and specs away:

Windows Vista

Processor: AMD 64 x2 dual core 4000+ 2.1ghz

2GB of RAM

Geforce 9500 GT

PSU: uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Something thats better than my old one :v

Agree with NUFAN, definately sounds like a overheating problem. Check all your heatsinks and fans if they're clean and working.

A good tool (besides several others) to quickly monitor your temps is Speedfan.

Also as NUFAN said, system specs would also be helpful to track the problem.

:EDITH:

Instead of saying it runs "normally", please be more specific. What temps are you reading @ idle and @load?

Everything runs around 50-60 degrees celcius when in-game, and like 10-20 less when idling.

can u post ur system specs:

cpu : ( if OCed specify)

MB:

RAM: what type

VGA: if OCed also specify

PSU : u said u changed ur PSU . what brand of PSU did u get and what is wattage .

operating system u running

. and get this softwares and install it and cpu-z & core temp and check the reading on the cpu .

wtf no its not my pesos????

i'm seriously leaning towards it being my processor cos its being a jackass and my comps been freezing alot for no reason and my processor goes like.... silence

Indeed, these temps are quite good. What about chipset and Mosfet's temps? Any way to read them out aswell?

Do you have a friend that has similar hardware (at least compatible Sockets) with which you could exchange your parts for testing?

Besides this, not really much we can do through a forum. Last thing you could try is a complete new install of Windows and everything but this is drastical.

ok w/e thx for the slight bit of help.

i'll just wait like 20 years for that one bluemoon that my dad decides ok son do u need a new processor

Mate, we really try to help, it's just not easy "on the distance", you know. Make sure all cooling relevant parts are clean and working (fans), not only those on CPU and GPU, also on the Motherboard.

Try to change parts with a friend if possible to track down the problematic part.

:EDITH:

Also check your BIOS if it's not set to shut down your PC when CPU reaches 60 degrees. Probably you didn't changed that, i know...but i've already seen stranger things in life...trust me

Sounds like a problem I had several years ago with an old Athlon, it eventually died after 3 months of starting the shut downs.

If it is just the cpu fan, you may have a setting in bios to "up" the temp that it shuts down from overheat. BEWARE, changing it to high, could fry it.

As a fan degrades over time, it may not turn enough rpm's when needed.

oOPSS...Myke beat me to it.

Before you do anything else: what operating system are you running?

I recently had lots of BSOD crashes after a stock install of ARMA OA. My CPU is overclocked a lot but have never had any issues until installing OA.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and got around the problem by running ARMA with Administrative rights AND running it without "Visual themes" - both in the App info panel.

This may just help. If not, no harm done.

Try running this in its "torture test" mode overnight on your computer:

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

There is pretty much nothing that you can run on a computer that will make your CPU hotter than that will, so if that doesn't crash your machine odds are it is not your CPU. Could be GPU or memory or something else but at least you could be fairly confident it was not the CPU overheating. On the other hand if it does crash, well then you have your smoking gun.

Edited by Polar Bear

Hopefully before twenty years go by you will have a job so your dad doesn't have to buy a new one. heat issue.