Sign in to follow this  
SPC.Spets

What Sound Addon is the best and more realistic?

I believe the orginal sounds are the best representation of the real thing, but thats not to say it's the most immersive for playing the game.

I believe the orginal sounds are the best representation of the real thing, but thats not to say it's the most immersive for playing the game.

Perhaps more importantly, recordings of the real thing often don't sound like the real thing, or might sound like the real thing at one distance, but totally wrong at another.

Personally, I prefer Elias' sound mod.

Chammy's sound mod is also good, although his sounds are a little "low-res" for me.

It's all really a matter of personal taste. ;)

Can someone post up a guide on making your own sound mod from existing ones? That would be very helpful! Thanks!

You simply download the mods you like.

Create a mod folder in your root Arma2 directory (this is an example any name you can use)

@soundmix/addons
Then one by one you copy and paste from the soundmod you downloaded the pbo's that you want to use going by the name. This means if you want guns you copy all the guns or specific ones per mod into the above "addons" folder and mix them together.

You then reference you newly created mod folder in the mod line ONLY (when I say only I mean the only soundmod) :

-mod=@soundmix
Put this high priority (nearest first in the list after expansion/beta/CBA)

So mine is like this:

-mod=BAF;@CBA;@soundmix .... @other mods etc etc
I have done so and you can check my current list (my pref and only an example) in my sig link. This is a combination of CSMOA, CSMBAF, VOP2, JSRS, TRSM Tracked, Wheeled / Rotary and a sprinkling of HIFI.

Also note you will see duplicate names in some mods .. first is the sounds the second is the config to reference it (normally as "_C" within it) make sure when you copy you copy and paste BOTH of them when you see duplicates.

Edited by mrcash2009

Ahh gotcha, easy enough then! How does it work with some such as Vop (which has all the guns in the one pbo and some weapon sounds from HiFi..?

Well in a situation where guns are in one pbo .. you effectively have less control and its less "modular" whereas you can mix "some" of the guns like say JSRS (each gun has its own pbo) ... so you have to use all guns from that soundmod and not use guns from another, or you can try putting them in separate soundmod folders and switching its priority over another, but it can have odd results like putting sounds back to vanilla and odd things like that.

You can only test and try really.

Bottom line if its all or nothing with a less modular soundmod then your stuck with all realy unless it well broken down (JSRS is a good example).

I wonder what the diffrences are between jsrs and csm2oa, both mods are very good, but for you guys that have been testing them both alot, can you explain for me the benefits and diffrences with the two?

I've been asking around in the other threads, is it enough if I use csm2oa when playing Arma2 Operation Arrowhead, or do I need the csm2 files aswell?

Edited by Modin84

The difference is, they are made by 2 different people with two different outlooks on how they want the game to sound from thier point of view. So .. to work out which point of view you most prefer, grab them and try them :)

AS regards your question I see that you might be confused ... CSM2 = All Arma2 sounds only. CSM2OA - Sounds for Operation Arrowhead expansion ... CMS2 BAF ... sounds for BAF DLC.

So if you have only arma2 game you just use CSM2 ... if you have just Arrowhead you use just CSM2OA ... if you have combined ops (ARMA2+Arrowhead as one install) you then use CSM2 "and" CSM2OA ... and then the same if you added the DLC for with CSM BAF ontop.

Couple of ways to hear what the sound mods sound like is, well the long manuel way,

download them all and compare, or the easiest, is to go on utube and look up the sound mods you interested in.

Either the modder of the sound mod, or a player has recorded a vid demonstrating a single sound mod

or a combination comparing a few, you can get a rough idea of how they all sound.

Sound is a personal taste, realism is a plus, and I'm all for it, making your game believable and

immersive is definatley something to strive for, but then you have some sounds that do sound realistic,

like thats how the gun actually sounds, and in game its boring, it doesn't really grab you as fun,

In a real war situation that gun is being used you obviously would have your realism as theres alot of other factors involved.

The immersion factor cannot just come from the gun alone, it has to have cracks, and booms ect.,

which all reflect the environment and so forth your in.

It really comes down to what sounds good to you, if its realistic and you really love it then

thats what counts, if its not realistic, but its sounds good to you and you really enjoy the game,

be it realistic or not then thats what counts.

There is no competition here where someone will say your game isn't realistic,

or that gun your useing dont have the correct sound. Does it really matter?

I say no, your playing a game.

If however you were in the military and you were using the game to simulate scenerios,

like in VBS2 then possible I can see a realism factor being important to what your doing,

otherwise it would break what your doing if you got this rediculous extrordinary sound.

I love JSRS Soundmod.

Heres an example of some of the sounds:

q1cdLf_WmR0

They're crisp, clean, and really sound great.

Here's a little something for you guys who think I have dissapeared heh. It's in the cleanup process now

The sound quality sucks in this youtube clip so don't worry, the finished project won't sound like that

Edited by Chammy

Mods I use are combination of Hifi, and Acesm, more Hifi though.

I looked into JSRS, but it dont do nothing for me, I find the infantry weapons sound weak,

and come across as like typwriters going off.

Chammy's sounds have a nice punch to them, gives the guns some guts.

Acesm had this weak airsoft sound to it, and I know they are pretty realistic sounding,

as you can hear similer sounds in Afghanistan war vids of the Allied side, but what baked the cake

for me was the cracks and the echos of Acesm, and the brunt, monster sounds of the guns.

Heres one vid i found of Hifi alone that a guy is doing demonstrations of some guns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBiSgSkHlI4

Like i said in my previous post Sounds are personal taste, I personally don care for the low, air,

pursed sounds in guns, I like them with a crack, or something that makes it sound like a bullet its being shot,

I dont quite understand how a gun would make a weak airy sound like orignal acesm has for

some guns and JSRS, can anyone explain how a gun would make a more softer sound versusa larger crack,

or bang, I can see caliber of bullet, not silenced of course.

Is it the shape, or length of the barrel?

Hi Chammy,

No i knew your were back again and working hard, looking forward to checking yours out when it lands :)

I cant answer your tech question Gunter but I do know the latest JSRS toned down the muzzle crack on guns so now its not so loud over the gun sound itself (It really was rather too loud before).

The thing about the supersonic cracks is they ARE loud; anyone ever spent any time on a two way range will tell you that as will anyone who's ever spent an afternoon in the butts will too. Ear defence is a must.

We also have to remember that that supersonic crack starts at the muzzle and so adds to the overall sound of a weapon's report.

Im not a soldier and I dont know how real weapons sounds, but I saw many videos of real weapons and explosion... anyway...

What is the best, I mean the most real, the most close to the real sound Fx for weapons, explosion, vehicles, etc?

I tried many, I like them all, maybe some more than others, but can not deside which one to use

Vopsound - CMS - EliasSound - J.S.R.S. - ACEX_SM - HiFi

CSM (Chammy's) for weapons, TR sound for vehicles, JSRS for environment, movements and explosion.

Edited by gulag

The thing about the supersonic cracks is they ARE loud; anyone ever spent any time on a two way range will tell you that as will anyone who's ever spent an afternoon in the butts will too. Ear defence is a must.

We also have to remember that that supersonic crack starts at the muzzle and so adds to the overall sound of a weapon's report.

No disagreement there, but as regards the mod reference, the crack at direct muzzle was considerably louder than the gun, as opposed to past your ear, so it was balanced better, its still loud and very loud at bullet fly by head stage too.

As said before i use a combo of Hi FI and Acesm, but I dont use the Acesm explosion sounds for like big bombs,

and tank round explosions, so my game is giving me default sounds which rather ruin the game to a degree,

anyone reccomend pars of sound mods you feel sound ausome for like explosions?

Acesm has a weird explosion sound for GBu12's so i took it out, I have the Warfx in there

which is I think giving me the sound but not sure, and Im assuming the Hi fi is giving me the sound for it,

but not sure, id like to try something else.

I want something thunderous, and epic like,

makes only sense big bomb=big explosion and sound, anyone?

JSRS .. and explosions are modular :) So far JSRS explosions are one of its major plus points, they will blow your ears off.

Sorry for the bump, but I downloaded both JSRS and CSM, and how do you guys mix them? Wouldn't they conflict?

I typically take guns and impacts from JSRS (although some guns are currently misconfigured, I expect next version to fix these), wheeled vehicles and gear from VOP (less config problems), and my own ambient (and own vehicles that are not yet covered).

JSRS have very loud sounds, often I find them too loud, to the point where missions feel off when using it before you start hearing things long time before you should (as per mission design). I.e. I may have running choppers in the distance on standby ready to aid the player. With JSRS it becomes impossible to place them since their sound travel too far (imho). With vanilla I do not run out of map space and can place legal waypoints. Stuff like that. It (and other sound mods with realistic sound levels) also tend to make intergame voice direct comms completely impossible, because of their volume. In real life there are ways to get heard, in game there are few (screaming just causes clipping). But the hit and snap sounds of JSRS, I simply cannot live without -scariest sounds ever :D

JSRS is designed with modularity in mind, so it's fairly easy to mix and match with that. I'm not sure about CSM, I guess you have to look on its structure.

I will typically advice against mixing too much, especially the same kinds of sounds. I.e. mixing M16 sounds from one sound mod and M240 sounds from another can get really wacky, as the designers follow different design criteria (how far should a sound go etc). So you may find out you can hear the M16 for twice the distance of the M240, which is wrong naturally.

Ambiance is probably the easiest to grab from wherever you feel like, since it doesn't interfere with fighting at all, and tends to be moderately volumed.

JSRS has blow my mind in a way other soundmods haven't. The guns are convincing and the sounds are complex so you don't get used to hearing the same thing over and over again. And the list of sounds is lavish and exhaustive. I can't wait until the mod is finished and the rough edges smoothed over.

Switching from ACE_SM has made me realize how incredibly brilliant some of their sounds were. I could chuck HEAT warheads at tanks for hours and just listen with a smile.

Does anyone know of s soundmod which enhances the various vehicles in OA and BAF in particular? It's always a bit disappointing to jump into a BAF landrover...

does anyone know of s soundmod which enhances the various vehicles in oa and baf in particular? It's always a bit disappointing to jump into a baf landrover...

csm2oa/baf