Sign in to follow this  
SPC.Spets

What Sound Addon is the best and more realistic?

Im not a soldier and I dont know how real weapons sounds, but I saw many videos of real weapons and explosion... anyway...

What is the best, I mean the most real, the most close to the real sound Fx for weapons, explosion, vehicles, etc?

I tried many, I like them all, maybe some more than others, but can not deside which one to use

Vopsound - CMS - EliasSound - J.S.R.S. - ACEX_SM - HiFi

You wont get a definitive answer, its an open book and personal views no one will say directly, if I had to go out on a limb, many say J.S.R.S explosions ambiance and many guns are very close & also CSM2 ... CSM2 seems to be the one that is lesser "hollywood sound" and closer to the raw guns, this is why you get many differences of opinion because they say the guns are not "punchy" enough etc etc.

Im sure a post after this will say the complete opposite, becuase to be honest they all have pluses and minuses in certain areas.

AS regards which one to use, that's really only up to you mate.

Right now for me at the current time, J.S.R.S for most (far sounds, explosions, AT fire, heavy gun, Armour transport guns fire ... are very nice), VOP2 for its walking/gear/surface sounds, CSM2 for bullet cracks/supersonic cracks (although not modular enough to mix them from what ive tested I might be wrong), >> TRSM tracked/wheeled/Fixed Wing & rotary vehicles <<< never found any better vehicle sounds personally.

Every so often i change things around, ive never settled on one mod, but im a really fussy sound person :)

Edited by mrcash2009

As mrcash2009 says, there is no definitive answer to this.

I know that MarkXIII, jebus of HiFi, is trying to get the real "feel" of shooting a gun. The sound itself is not realistic itself (well, the basis of it is very close) but he also adds low bass and other fancy stuff to simulate the experience of shooting.

A gun sound is very short and "cracky", but when you shoot it the dB makes it into another experience. So one could say that the sound is tweaked unrealistic to make it more realistic..

What I know from testing hifi on different systems the sound differs alot depending on your hardware (and software settings and drivers). So a soundmod that one hears as realistic can sound totally different for another player. The difference using HiFi from my laptop to my game rig is very big. What I mean is what sound "as realistic as possible" for one player might be hollywood for another player due to hardware.

The reason for me to use HiFi as example is that I'm part of the mod-team so I have more insight in that mod (and lack experience from other soundmods..) So I cant even give a subjective opinion what soundmod is most realistic..

To conclude, you have to try and see (hear) whats right for you. If you like it use it. If you really want to find out the most realistic soundmod you should try to get to a firing range and listen and experience the sound (not to recommend but if you try without ear protection you will have another experience then with). Then you can go back to arma2 and try the soundmods again.

Offtopic: HiFi is not up to spec for arma2 when it comes to configs, but soon I will start to produce code..

Edited by andersson

That is the problem, the mods have good sound in some weapons and weak sounds in others, and I like for example a particular weapon sound from one mod, and another from other mod :s

Most if not all soundmods are modular that means you can pick the sound file you like and "create" your own customized soundmod. Like mrcash2009 and andersson said - you have to find those sounds which fits your needs by yourself. There is no magic spell that does this job for you. ;)

How easy is it to combine individual weapon sounds within the existing sound mods?

If they are made to be modular, then its usually pretty easy to mix and match. With the previous HiFi, we had each weapon in an individual pbo. Others haven't really went that far, so it would get tricky if you like certain rifles from one and some from another I guess.

But as far as which is the best, etc? It's up to you personally to decide which is best for you. Every individual has their own personal tastes. Part of the fun really, trying out the different ones and seeing what each mod offers the user. :)

@Andersson: Brother have you been out of the HiFi loop, hehe. ;)

What are modular soundmods good for if 99% of server admins dont allow the keys for the modules?

I love soundmods but stay away mostly because i cant play online with them. And constantly switching between a soundmodded SP and MP with vanilla sound is getting on me nerves. :P

I too use a mix, Chammy for weapon sounds, JSRS for environment, movement and vehicle weapons sounds and finally TR's vehicle sounds, which are the best I've heard.

Currently, JSRS is my lass,VOP is my wife,CSM2 is my secretary, HiFi is my old lover,Eliassound2 is the next door girl.

Currently, JSRS is my lass,VOP is my wife,CSM2 is my secretary, HiFi is my old lover,Eliassound2 is the next door girl.

JSRS is my quirky girlfriend and I visit all the others in their windows from time to time. :j:

Hi,

Sounds are an individual choice.

Also depends on your hardware.

Need a good surround sound system if you have a room to play in like the logitech systems.

or if you like headsets Logitech G35 Surround with mic. USB and a long cord.

JSRS is the sound mod for the day I think.

it is hard area

why ?

cause "real" sounds recorded or taken from Youtube, do not make good applause from people

for example in my packs i had some real life recorded or youtube sounds and ... people not like it and said to replace by gaming sounds (which are boosted in wav editor)

real-life sounds do not sound too good when not recorded by professional 3 microphones in open place... but noone of addonmakers will do it, cause it cost too much

sounds are always big problem for mod makers and sometimes real effect is criticized by players cause it sounds not good (poor recording equipment, poor microphones etc.)

i have some real sounds in my pack, but they were also boosted in wav editor , many sounds from Youtube are recorded with... mobile phones

so they are real, but horrible ;)

As you can tel Spet from this thread, asking which is the most realistic, or which is best to use is like asking the age old infinite question "how long is a piece of string".

Take your pick :)

How long is a piece of string BTW?

As you can tel Spet from this thread, asking which is the most realistic, or which is best to use is like asking the age old infinite question "how long is a piece of string".

Yup. If you'd want to try the impossible and plz everyone with your soundmod you'd need at least 6 versions imo:

1. Short cracks, short echo

2. Short cracks & big punches, sim shock effect when firing, short echo

3. Long shots, movie style, short echo

5. ... same with long echos

Good luck :)

Is there any soundmod that have good sounds for the BAF weapons

I use a mix of JSRS, CSM2, CSM2BAF, HiFi, Eliassound2, TRSM :D

who are you, Don Draper?

but, i was on the HIFI boat For a long time... now i just use jsrs.

I thought it was only me with a hard decision :s

Im using now ACEX_SM + HiFi for A10 and weapon system

Thanks!

New here.

Read this yesterday on http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=107043

"I find using CSM2 (+BAF) gun sounds, TRSM vehicle sounds and JSRS explosions, bullet snaps and impacts, movement, environment and vehicle weapon sounds makes for a very immersive experience." Devil Dogs SF

Its got me tempted watched vids but waiting as Jarhead is going the release a new version sortly that suggests a OA only pack. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=104514&page=70&highlight=CSM2

But TRSM http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=93872&page=10&highlight=TRSM maybe pointless has people are begging in this thread for OA. I'm assuming although AA2 vehicle is in OA its a desert version with different name so sound is not applied.

So my qestion in prepartion is with Devil Dogs SF setup what problems/option are there if I only have OA and BAF. e.g. CSM supports AA2 and OA. Will it work on OA only?

Ta

Most realistic?

Yay, shame on You guys.

Of course it's HARCP - only "sound addon" that change how the weapon sounds, based on the shooters surrounding.

It'd be so badass if it would support other soundpacks and OA...

So my qestion in prepartion is with Devil Dogs SF setup what problems/option are there if I only have OA and BAF. e.g. CSM supports AA2 and OA. Will it work on OA only?

I'm not quite sure about CSM2OA working with OA standalone, as it changes Arma 2 weapon sounds, you'd have to ask in the CSM2 thread. CSM2 BAF, however, should work seeing as from what I can tell it only edits the new BAF things and nothing from A2/OA.