Sign in to follow this  
MavericK96

ArmA 2: OA Beta Build 72967

This needs to become a hotfix imo... having to run a beta 1 day after a stable patch is not amusing.

QFT

I would like to see an official hotfix, this is becoming a pain to get this sorted out with our server provider.

Ok, so after trying this beta out briefly on my zargabad test mission(sort of a benchmark for performance at least) I'm noticing a bit of a drop in performance from the main patch. I think I'm going to pass on this beta. no immediate crashes with it, but I have some really good performance with the 1.54 patch and this beta kills that. I don't know what was changed, but for my system, it likes it the other way ;)

EDIT: I guess I should explain my test mission, I use this to test out performance in the city and outside the city looking in, to determine the most taxing part of this sim. Within the city I have 3 taki squads randomly generating within the city perimeter with 1 vehicle support each. Outside of the city on a hill peak to the east I have a US army outpost with a moderate amount of sandbags, H-barriers, tents, 4 supports vehicles, 3 tanks, and 2 helis with about 50 soldiers stationed with high/sub command links to defend it. Approaching the outpost from the city are another 3 squads of taki rebels with 3 support armors. Ambient modules include vehicles, civ (OA), animals, and combat. This mission should have a reasonable amount of AI computation going on to help me determine if gameplay is feasible. I just move my player character with his small 4 man squad around for starting points to test various areas of taxation as well as combat bog.

Edited by NeoHazard

This needs to become a hotfix imo... having to run a beta 1 day after a stable patch is not amusing.

Yes +1

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

I have some really good performance with the 1.54 patch and this beta kills that.

Possible explanation:

In the 1.54 release you get good performance because the AI do nothing. In the previous release and in the beta you have to spend CPU on the AI.

I was very pleased to read this

[72947] New: Explosive shells penetrate bushes;

HE rounds still explode on bushes and trees

40mm grenades work better now, for this thumbs up, it would be nice to fix the HE rounds as well.

Ok, so after trying this beta out briefly on my zargabad test mission(sort of a benchmark for performance at least) I'm noticing a bit of a drop in performance from the main patch. I think I'm going to pass on this beta. no immediate crashes with it, but I have some really good performance with the 1.54 patch and this beta kills that. I don't know what was changed, but for my system, it likes it the other way ;)

EDIT: I guess I should explain my test mission, I use this to test out performance in the city and outside the city looking in, to determine the most taxing part of this sim. Within the city I have 3 taki squads randomly generating within the city perimeter with 1 vehicle support each. Outside of the city on a hill peak to the east I have a US army outpost with a moderate amount of sandbags, H-barriers, tents, 4 supports vehicles, 3 tanks, and 2 helis with about 50 soldiers stationed with high/sub command links to defend it. Approaching the outpost from the city are another 3 squads of taki rebels with 3 support armors. Ambient modules include vehicles, civ (OA), animals, and combat. This mission should have a reasonable amount of AI computation going on to help me determine if gameplay is feasible. I just move my player character with his small 4 man squad around for starting points to test various areas of taxation as well as combat bog.

Ambient Civilians is what is killing your performance. I doubt it would be any different in 1.54 with that same mission

The inability to throw a granade while walking was intruduced in 1.54?

Sorry, Im unable to view CIT or use the beta ATM.

Thanks for fixing the bugged AI so fast.

Maybe it will be best to find a way to encourage those who never use beta patches to get this fix before too long, though...

@Smurfbr, hasn't it played a double-animation and only allowed you to throw the grenade once you're stationary since the release of Op Arrowhead, if not earlier?

@Smurfbr, hasn't it played a double-animation and only allowed you to throw the grenade once you're stationary since the release of Op Arrowhead, if not earlier?

Might be.... So, is a know problem...

Ambient Civilians is what is killing your performance. I doubt it would be any different in 1.54 with that same mission

no, what I'm saying is that IT IS different, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time posting. see, I used the exact same mission as a testbed on 1.54 release as well as the last 4 betas prior to it. I saw nothing but improvement from all those betas and the 1.54 patch up until now.

@Polar Bear.... My AI are definitely fighting/operating just the same during my little battle scenario on this mission on the bare 1.54 build without beta. I don't see what you're talking about. It must be an isolated instance. I could even command my own squad to move to areas and they hop to it.

In conclusion, neither of these explanations appear to be the culprit verifiably. HOWEVER that isnt to say that whatever change to the AI that was made didn't have some adverse affect to cause this. The problem is that I had better performance with the beta patch prior to the 1.54 patch than I am having with this current beta. SO if the problem people have described as "AI not doing anything" was still in the beta prior to 1.54 than maybe that adds more evidence against it.

I agree.

I will say I love that BI continue to support their product... kudos

But to have to release a beta patch to fix errors from a full patch released 1 day ago indicates there is a problem at BI

[72947] New: Explosive shells penetrate bushes...

shoulda been fixed months ago (its been a ticket at dev heaven for f*&^&% ages)

[72924] Fixed: Multiplayer on LAN was crashing when GameSpy server was unavailable...

Who tested this prior to the 1.54 launch? to now have it beta patch it 1 day later.

[72966] Fixed: AI stuck while in combat/stealth mode...

again, who tested this prior to release.

rexehuk is right, this should be a hotfix.

You are still King BI, but I'm a OFP/ArmA user... its my job to whine :)

Edited by 76

These fixes are still quite nice though.

And leaves not stoping grenades is something that had to be done a long time ago - firing 203s in the forest isn't a suicide anymore which is cool.

Haven't yet tested whether the flashing white texture problem occurs in Zargabad still.

Although I'm no expert at this beta testing stuff, I was able to play for a couple of hours tonight with no problems at all.

How long did it take you all to install this beta? Going on 20 minutes here!!

Roush

How long did it take you all to install this beta? Going on 20 minutes here!!

Roush

2 seconds but I get this when I run the game i get an error...

'No entry '.profilePathDefault'.

Stupid f^%$#@! forums, can't upload picture from local drive....

Anyway beta is fucked for me... I load up and get a bunch unnamed buttons that do nothing.

http://s766.photobucket.com/albums/xx308/lockie76/?action=view&current=arma2oa2010-08-2811-26-15-82.jpg

Edited by 76

2 seconds but I get this when loading

?action=view&current=arma2oa2010-08-2811-26-15-82.jpg

Cant see your attachment! Mines been running for a half an hour now!!

Roush

Cant see your attachment! Mines been running for a half an hour now!!

Roush

At the bottom of the little patch window with the other text does it say...

'ArmA2 OA patch 1.54 has been applied successfully.'?

At the bottom of the little patch window with the other text does it say...

'ArmA2 OA patch 1.54 has been applied successfully.'?

Yes it does but its still running!

Roush

Im getting peeved, we have not been able to use our combined ops server since the patch came out!

Roush

Im getting peeved, we have not been able to use our combined ops server since the patch came out!

:) ya all good bro, she's updated.... just BI's bad bad design

Check all your windows, you might have some other patch window open (e.g. from patch 1.07 for A2, which installs at the same time). You might have to confirm one or the other with OK before the original installer continues.

Check all your windows, you might have some other patch window open (e.g. from patch 1.07 for A2, which installs at the same time). You might have to confirm one or the other with OK before the original installer continues.

Nope, this is the only window open. Thanks for help though!!

Roush

Nope, this is the only window open. Thanks for help though!!

Roush

Mate, its updated... just click 'OK' and play the beta :)

:) ya all good bro, she's updated.... just BI's bad bad design

Ty you sir!! You were correct, still didnt fix our server problem.

Roush

still didnt fix our server problem.

Roush

maybe v1.60 ;)

maybe v1.60 ;)

LOL to that! Maybe version 2.183654995943838459607050406060!:rolleyes::D

Roush

to the complainers and whiners... don't use the patches if you don't like them. Stop whining about getting a beta patch 1 day after and asking for a hotfix... it doesn't work like that. Before they release a full patch there's a large process with QA and the sorts. With beta patches they have more freedom... evidentally they didn't have time to add these fixes in the patch. Move on and enjoy the support from the company!