Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

ArmA2:Oa Patch 1.54 released!

I think releasing a patch which includes the light version of BAF is a good solution for everyone. How would you prevent not to separate the MP-community in another way?!

Besides, one question for the correct install-order, when I come home from work later:

1. Patch 1.54

2. BAF-DLC

or vice versa ?

BTW, I could swear we will see some new threads in the troubleshooting-section in near future ("...All graphics are good-only the BAFs are so low-textured...").;)

Edited by WillaCHilla

Hahahaha yeah thanks for the pic great idea BIS I am happy you did it.

I agree with post above whice is what I said in my last post the people who moaned this DLC would split MP comuniity will still moan (about what I think is a bloody good idea realy) the low testures.

Great idea BIS and thanks for keeping us together.

got the same error as larsiano did, the missions_e.pbo update error

scratch that, i get an errora couple of errors:

Update 1.52-1.53\EXPANSION\ADDONS\AIR_E.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.52-1.53\EXPANSION\ADDONS\ANIMALS_E.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.52-1.53\EXPANSION\ADDONS\CA_E.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.52-1.53\EXPANSION\ADDONS\DUBBINGRADIO_E.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.52-1.53\EXPANSION\ADDONS\MISC_E.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.52-1.53\EXPANSION\ADDONS\MISSIONS_E.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Edited by Spork

It's a very good solution, but I think maybe BIS should have announced it earlier and shown some comparison screenshots, just so people have an idea how bad the low quality versions actually look. The units are really just placeholders, nothing more

Yes, I agree that should definitely have been done. But do the low-quality ones *actually* look that bad? It'd be a bit weird for them to be like that when everything around them will have higher-res textures...

The update thats available and it comes with low res textures, but essentially, it comes with the BAF, Im confused

Essentially, patch 1.54 offers a preview version of British Armed Forces, alongside fixes, improvements and extensions detailed in the release documentation.

The patch adds BAF objects at placeholder-resolution quality - capped at 64px. For reference: the original Operation Flashpoint commonly uses 256px; Arma 2 textures are capped at 2048px. Audio is sampled to 22KHz; compression quality is minimal.

Fundamentally, this means they can act as proxies during multiplayer sessions, enabling a workable degree of compatibility across the community.

The official DLC provides top-spec quality textures, audio, Crimson Lance, nine standalone missions, and a showcase scenario. Furthermore, Shapur's satellite texture is provided in high-resolution quality.

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile
[I]Updated link; audio details added[/I]

I think it's ok :

DLC are meant to finance further patches and developments, so it's also a deal BIS makes with the community.

If you're a commited player, you get the quality pack + campaign and missions + you know you are contributing to the cause and the future of the series.

If you're cheap, you get a cheap model (not as a reward, but rather as an appetizer)

Could we get some more screen shots please I am unable to test.

Thanks

Still cant wait to get the funds to puirchase the BIS high res stuff and map etc :)

Just to clarify - is it okay to use this patch and then install the BAF DLC in an hour and we won't get duplicates or conflicts? Or should those of us buying the DLC wait for it to come out?

Still cant wait to get the funds to puirchase the BIS high res stuff and map etc :)

10EUs...tons of funds...2packs of smokes :)

According to RoyaltyInExile in the BAF DLC thread, the textures on the "Lite" BAF units are capped at 64px, whereas normal units in Arma2/OA have a 2048px cap. That's <0.01% quality.

pitty no one knows anything about the fucking steam version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahh this allways makes me mad, thought i would have been used to it by now

I know exactly what you're going through, if you can spare the cash you should buy the disc versions.

According to RoyaltyInExile in the BAF DLC thread, the textures on the "Lite" BAF units are capped at 64px, whereas normal units in Arma2/OA have a 2048px cap. That's <0.01% quality.

Yeah, Rellikki just sent me this:

arma2OA2010-08-2612-47-14-77.jpg

They really are quite bad. :p

got the same error as larsiano did, the missions_e.pbo update error

scratch that, i get an errora couple of errors:

Update 1.52-1.53\EXPANSION\ADDONS\AIR_E.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.52-1.53\EXPANSION\ADDONS\ANIMALS_E.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.52-1.53\EXPANSION\ADDONS\CA_E.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.52-1.53\EXPANSION\ADDONS\DUBBINGRADIO_E.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.52-1.53\EXPANSION\ADDONS\MISC_E.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.52-1.53\EXPANSION\ADDONS\MISSIONS_E.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

same for me...

Damn 0.01% hahahahaha oh well...hey just a thought though as the textures are so bad for the lite peeps would they get and advantage or disadvanteg in MP? ummmm theres a thought hahahaha some thing else for some of you ungreatfull muppets to think about :P

I'm uploading a short video to youtube now, if you think the textures are awful wait till you here the vocals :D

I'm uploading a short video to youtube now, if you think the textures are awful wait till you here the vocals :D

Ohhh great idea thanks.

despite the multiple errors, im up and running. you can actually have team mate in a artillery piece and tell them to fire at a position using the space bar command

It'd be a bit weird for them to be like that when everything around them will have higher-res textures...

Just a bit:

arma2OA2010-08-2613-12-41-92.jpg

...and the voice comms fx for BAF Lite sounds like someone speaking through a tube underwater with a lot of static added.

So the errors did you fix it or ignore it? and it still works?.

Ah, actually it's ~0.09% quality so <0.1%. Not like it makes much of a difference. ;)