Sign in to follow this  
polar bear

Three dimensional waypoint

Hi all,

I have a long series of waypoints and in the middle of the chain there are a couple that require a vertical element to the waypoint position. Basically I want the unit to climb some stairs and get up on a roof.

Just wondering if there is an easy way to do this. Other than the 3d point there is nothing else unusual or scripted about this chain of waypoints.

I know the hard way to do this: Manually create the whole chain of waypoints in a script after painstakingly looking up the position of each one. I'm reluctant to go do that because there's a lot of waypoints in the chain and the others are all simple MOVE waypoints.

Seems like there should be an easy way where I can just set the position of the few 3d waypoints but I can't figure out how to do that: There is no "init" block on a waypoint in the visual editor, and a waypoint does not have a "name" that I can refer to later.

I'm probably overlooking something stupid--how to do this?

Or is it the hard way or no way?

You can't (as far as I know) use waypoints to tell a unit to move up stairs and such, even if you manually add the waypoint with their coordinates. Maybe, but idk.

Only way off the top of my head I can think of is scripting the unit to travel to positions in the building after reaching a certain waypoint (just outside the building perhaps). You might have to research/play around to discover what each position is called/numbered. This test mission Big Dawg KS made comes to mind, I'm sure you could open it and find some useful information:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=100737

if you place the waypoint over a building there is a "postion in house tab" just above the timeout conditions which is above condition and it allows you to select a building position. I havn't used it myself but should work, you'll just have to try it untill you find the right building position I guess

Edited by Pele93

You can't (as far as I know) use waypoints to tell a unit to move up stairs and such, even if you manually add the waypoint with their coordinates. Maybe, but idk.

Hmm that sucks. I was hoping to be able to put a waypoint at the bottom of the stairs at ground level, and then another one at the top of the stairs, and I figured they would go up as the stairs would be the shortest path. Without elevating the position of the waypoint though they search around at ground level trying to figure out how to get to it.

I'm still curious whether there's an easy way to attach script to the creation of a waypoint similar to what an "init" block on a unit would give you so that you can lay it down using the editor and then modify it as appropriate.