Sign in to follow this  
Vixente

Ati Catalyst 10.8 out (great news)

Did not work for me...i did not try the driver (very bad reviews on amd forum) just the 10.8 profiles...got 30fps using arma2oa shortcut where was lock on 60fps solid using renamed shortcut to arma2! 10.3 profiles and 10.4 ati driver.

.i did not try the driver (very bad reviews on amd forum)

You should try to base your opinions on your own experience. I have already installed 10.8, i'm hoping to get the other 5850 today and test it with this drivers. Will post here the results.

Some people at Guru3D are saying good things about 10.8: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=327756

Of course there are people who have problems, but there are also peope who don't. I think maybe there are more factors to take into account. (different graphic card, maybe other hardware, etc.) But what i try do always is to test things on my own and get my own conclusions, not base them on others comments.

You should try to base your opinions on your own experience. I have already installed 10.8, i'm hoping to get the other 5850 today and test it with this drivers. Will post here the results.

Some people at Guru3D are saying good things about 10.8: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=327756

Of course there are people who have problems, but there are also peope who don't. I think maybe there are more factors to take into account. (different graphic card, maybe other hardware, etc.) But what i try do always is to test things on my own and get my own conclusions, not base them on others comments.

bad reviews on guru3d forum, i'm sick and tired of updating drivers with no results! or having problems updating their shit, time to f* AMD and go green.

"and go green"

Yea but not everyone live on the south-pole and got a nuclear power plant in the backyard you know :(

InFireBaptize, I hear you would get a good performance boost just switching out your Core 2 Duo to a four core... like say an Intel Core 2 Quad (q6950). I'll be going to this route myself soon.

Nat;1730494']"and go green"

Yea but not everyone live on the south-pole and got a nuclear power plant in the backyard you know :(

ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB --- 352 watts

Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 1' date='792MB --- 382 watts

Power Consumption (load)

3DMark06 Canyon Flight test, 1,280 x 1,024 0xAA 16xAF, Peak Temperature.

I don't know how much you pay per kWh and how many hours you play a day!

I don't play everyday and if i do it's usually 1-2 hours a day maybe 3 if the wife is in good mood. We pay 8cent per kWh so you can do the math.

1 watt = 0.001 kilowatts

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

InFireBaptize, I hear you would get a good performance boost just switching out your Core 2 Duo to a four core... like say an Intel Core 2 Quad (q6950). I'll be going to this route myself soon.

i don't think i really need that many cores, i can play other games perfectly, Black Shark, LOMAC plus i OC my CPU to 3.8Ghz.

Not too many games/applications are optimized for quad.

arma2 IS though. called "exThreads".

It splits the tasks on all avaible cores.

AI

World loading

Texture loading

Sound

Other Data

I dont know how many "tasks" are out there, however, after getting this enabled my quad bumped up in performance, 3.2 GHz Q6600 (which is 2.4 GHz at stock, its an OC wonderkind!)

Vixente

i guess YOU did not read the guru3d forum!Some people are saying good things about 10.8 but 75% are saying bad things in every forum including guru3d!So why am i going to try this driver if i have 60 solid everywhere in arma 2 or OA (and all the other games i have mafia II, kane and lynch 2, bc2 and etc...) runing on very high 1600x1200 AA and AF on. using 10.4! Just got tired from trying new drivers...when lots but not just some people say the driver is good i will try! ;)

i7 920@ 4.0 ati 5970 win7 64 intel ssd 80gb.

I have a feeling that 10.8 broke my Track IR. I'm having trouble rolling back to 10.7 now. Everything is broken.

I was an idiot to give ATI my business for the first time in 15 years. I'm going back to nVidia and selling this stupid 5850, or putting it in a HTPC. ATI is too much bloody trouble for high end gaming.

I have a feeling that 10.8 broke my Track IR. I'm having trouble rolling back to 10.7 now. Everything is broken.

I was an idiot to give ATI my business for the first time in 15 years. I'm going back to nVidia and selling this stupid 5850, or putting it in a HTPC. ATI is too much bloody trouble for high end gaming.

i couldn't agree more, we got what we paid for and ATI support sucks big time and their catalyst shit a 5 year old can do. I'm already saving for GTX 400 and a nuclear plant to dig in my back yard, may god help me with my struggle.

This is how 10.8 worked for me, yes both gpus are now working but not as well as they do when the change exe trick is used !

it seems the first gpu is hit quite hard, then when it reaches around 85 88 % use then you see the other one start to load up.

using the exe change both gpus load evenly throughout and performance is much better

edit :- just seen these profile updates and tried them,

http://www.kylebennett.com/files/kyle/10-8a_ATICatalyst_AppProfiles.zip

all sorted back to arma2oa and all is well, very well actually :-)

Edited by fmsam

i couldn't agree more, we got what we paid for and ATI support sucks big time and their catalyst shit a 5 year old can do. I'm already saving for GTX 400 and a nuclear plant to dig in my back yard, may god help me with my struggle.

These days driver support from the hardware manufacturer is more important than ever. I don't know what made me think that ATI would be up to the task now, since it's never been any good in the past. It's a shame because it's capable of building some respectable hardware.

It really sucks that Crossfire is such a poor option.