Sign in to follow this  
striker(PANDA)

Chrome Texture

Hey guys, im just wondering, how do i get a nice grey chrome texture?

Ive been fiddleing around with the rvmats but its not working how i want it to work...

Thanks

I only now a very cheap way: Use a simple grey colour und use the "reflective_glass.rvmat" in O2. U get a nice shining. U can use this with every texture aswell but for an simple effekt a colour from the O2 "e" option will do it.

Guess a super shader will be better but don´t ask me how to do.

Emm your way doesnt seem to work, i select the part i want to colour, i colour it in a grey, i use the rvmat you said, but its just a grey, not shining at all.

try this:

ambient[]={1,1,1,1};

diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};

forcedDiffuse[]={0,0,0,0};

emmisive[]={0,0,0,1};

specular[]={1,1,1,0};

specularPower=57.799999;

renderFlags[]=

{

"NoAlphaWrite"

};

nextPass="bla\glass-pass2.rvmat";

PixelShaderID="Glass";

VertexShaderID="Glass";

class Stage1

{

texture="#(ai,64,64,1)fresnelGlass()";

uvSource="none";

};

class Stage2

{

texture="bla\reflect_co.paa";

uvSource="none";

};

Remember u will need the "reflect_co.paa" and the "glass-pass2.rvmat".

I tryed it a minute ago,it works with every colour! Play with the specularPower to change the effekt.

Sorry mate, still non of the ideas you have given me are working on my model. It seems its pretty hard to make a chrome like texture.

Sorry for that. But don´t forget: Reflections are IMO not possible.The only way BI give us is the "Reflect_co.paa" as a look-alike-Reflection. U may take another picture as landscape or so. The Specular strenght is sett with a rvmat.

So u will not have so many ways to do it.

How can i paste a picture from my PC? I can show u what i get with the solution above.

Print Screen, should be above the Insert key above the arrow keys.

I got something similar to chrome once by accident, when I was toying with rvmats.. http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma%202%20NATO%20retexture/chrometires.jpg but for the life of me I can't remember what slider I changed..it was slider though that much I do remember.

I think it was something to do with the specular map..iirc no rvmat changes would effect certain vehicles and the only way to remove/increase the reflection was to adjust the specular map, alternatively some vehicles such as that humvee I believe succumbed to specular..power, don't hold me to it though.

Edited by NodUnit

The specular map is needed when some parts have to shine more than others on one textur. When "all the shine is the same" it´s not needed.

I know how to make screenshots, but i miss a button to show a pic from my pc here in the Forum.

Sorry for my english.

Edit: ok,i made an acc at image-shack:shinyd.jpg

This is with a low specular-power.

Edited by Baraka

Chrome is 100 percent reflective and has a very high specular power. It is also white, IIRC.

Here is a cube with a supershader with 100% specular power, 100% specular amount, and both channels in the smdi set to white (100% for all pixels).

You can simulate scratches and stuff with disruptions in the smdi, normal, and colour maps.

100.jpg

I think if you had a reflection map with more contrast in it, the effect would be more realistic.

Wow thats the effect i want in that picture, but how :/

Whoops! I thought I was posting in the arma 2 forums when I posted that. I was a bit sleepy :p Let me see if I can do some research and figure out if we can accomplish this in ArmA.

Lol np, it seems easy to do in ArmA 2, but harder to make in ArmA 1, hopefully it can be done...

Ive been editing a rvmat for a few days and still no luck... So my best hope is here.

Thanks

If anyone can pm me with a couple of RVMATs that work in ArmA, I'll get on this chrome thing lickety split.

I need one from glass, and one from some metallic unit, preferably a shiny one.