Sign in to follow this  
old_painless

Expansions in-game selector

Hi,

I tried out the new Expansions tab in the game GUI to see if it could replace my various shortcuts. I have shortcuts that each load some combination of mods, and I was wondering if using player profiles could do the same.

I set up a player and set up expansions. After a restart, by inspection the player's arma2profile file contains the name of the expansions. So far, so good.

I then set up another player, thinking that the players profile decides which addons to load. But no, all the profiles load the same set of expansions. So it seems you cannot select another player profile in-game and thus change what expansions are active.

Has anyone found the new expansions feature useful, if you regularly change the set of addons you play with?

Cheers,

OP

Not really. It also seems you can't (easily) specify which order you want the addons loaded either (some addons requires a certain order).

It's mostly caused confusion on my server as certain mods\addons don't work with it. Unnecessary feature, general admin advice for us to new players is always use a modline in a shortcut or batch file.

OK, thanks. Not much of a feature then, unless they change it to be player profile dependent. Ie. each player has his own mod-set, similar to shortcuts.

By the way, I had no problem specifying the order of mods in the GUI, just use the Up/down thingy. I had to load CBA before Zeus and I got that to work using this feature.

It is stored to player profile and you can change launch order easily for all mods/expansions.

It is stored to player profile and you can change launch order easily for all mods/expansions.

I'm really confused by this anyway, since it doesn't list all your addons, only the ones you had running via -mod=... so... what's the benefit of this?

There's no functional difference to me between changing a shortcut and changing a profile entry except that the shortcut is easier. :) How is this feature intended to be used?

The thing is..if you are running steam and combined ops your only option is to use -mod= and that invalidates the function of the ingame mod selector.

..and modifying the profile file can be a bit daunting for inexperienced computer users.

Anyway, I have no problems with using mod folders..

As for "stored to player profile ": I agree - from inspection of the .ArmA2OAProfile file - that that is the case.

Now if I change player profile in-game to, say, MODUSER2, will the mod-set change on-the-fly to whatever is saved for MODUSER2? That would be very useful and would remove the need for having several shortcuts for starting OA.

Thanks,

OP

Edit: No, it does not. I had two player profiles:

MODUSER1: CBA,ZEUS,Podagorsk,RHM4

MODUSER2: Podagorsk

I tried entering the game as MODUSER2, and confirms that the set of expansions are just Podagorsk. I then change to MODUSER1 and checks Expansions. No change whatsoever in the GUI, still only Podagorsk selected.

I then leave Combined Operations, having selected MODUSER1 as my last Player Profile before Exit. Upon reentry, the expansion set is now MODUSER1's.

So seems modswitching on-the-fly is not working, too bad.

Edited by Old_Painless