Sign in to follow this  
Ragnar_Darude

AI pathfinding idea: Editor placeable "gravitational paths"

I just had an idea that I want to throw at you.

A fix for AI-pathfinding issues. Wouldnt it be nice to be able to, in the mission-editor, place virtual paths that any AI passing through an area would use. For example you could consider if you built a big base with a road passing through it. You would love it if any vehicles the AI controls to use the road to go from one end of the base to the other, but in most cases the AI dont and drive inte your buildings and get stuck. If we where able to place a virtual path that would "attract" the AI so he would use it instead of his default pathfinding algorithm we could help the AI get from one end of the base to the other. You could also make it uni- or bidirectional to make it possible for trafic to meet (instead of driving into each other). Also it would be nice to have a different paths for infantry (and air) to make them use special routes that would for example utilise cover more efficiently (like stick to buildings instead of walking in the middle of the street).

Whats your thoughts?

Yes!

As an added (invisible) layer added to the editor AND dynamically as way to make AI (particularly if set to column close) follow a player during a mission-

Poor pathfinding, particularly in urban areas is one of the pitfalls of the series.

-k

I think there already is something like that in Arma 2. AI tends to stick to the road sometimes, maybe only if they think that is the fastest way. But sometimes they dont and your Abrams get flipped over in the middle of the desert.

Anyway, it would be a great idea, especially in urban areas. Just think about what would happen if multiple vehicles would be driving that road. Then itll turn into one big traffic jam.

This is a great idea. ANd i´ll add something over. This idea should be implemented inside of buildings. Of course this should be very accurate so that soldiers wouldn´t get stuck inside, but this way we could have squads clearing buildings. This would be awesome.

This is a great idea. ANd i´ll add something over. This idea should be implemented inside of buildings. Of course this should be very accurate so that soldiers wouldn´t get stuck inside, but this way we could have squads clearing buildings. This would be awesome.

Uhm, buildings already have building positions (entries/exits aswell as regular/inside positions) aswell as paths connecting them. Also the AI manages to navigate inside buildings without problems (thanks to these paths), they open doors, climb ladders, ... and if not, then it's probably a problem with the buildings path-lod or something.