Sign in to follow this  
st!gar

British Forces DLC and the beta patches...

How exactly are they going to work in relation to one another? Are we going to have a scenario similar to what we saw in Operation Arrowhead, where a patch is released simultaneously with the AddOn itself, in order to bring all the versions up to speed with each other? Has there been any word on this, that I appear to have simply missed?

How exactly are they going to work in relation to one another? Are we going to have a scenario similar to what we saw in Operation Arrowhead, where a patch is released simultaneously with the AddOn itself, in order to bring all the versions up to speed with each other? Has there been any word on this, that I appear to have simply missed?

It has been said - by Maruk I believe - that the engine updates coming with BAF will be made available to everyone through a patch. Presumably, since the BAF DLC will be released this coming thursday, the 1.53 (?) patch will be arriving some time beforehand.

How exactly are they going to work in relation to one another?

I think you should rest your mind at ease and try not to lose any sleep over this. Just let BIS do the thinking on this one. ;)

Edited by Dead3yez

It has been said - by Maruk I believe - that the engine updates coming with BAF will be made available to everyone through a patch. Presumably, since the BAF DLC will be released this coming thursday, the 1.53 (?) patch will be arriving some time beforehand.

That gives them 2 days... :eek: Last I tried the latest beta was crashing constantly, it also didn't have any of the BAF stuff in it. hmm... :butbut:

That gives them 2 days... :eek: Last I tried the latest beta was crashing constantly, it also didn't have any of the BAF stuff in it. hmm... :butbut:

Haven't experienced any crashes, personally, though I guess that's down to hardware or other factors.

As for the "BAF stuff", I assume you're talking about engine changes. In that regard, how would we even know if they are in there already? All they would need to do is omit the relevant stuff from the changelog...

Well, I cracked open hotfix_oa.pbo from the latest (I think it's the latest) beta patch and there are references to several* new features coming with the BAF DLC.

*Artillery Computer, Engineer and Repair Vehicles.

Yes its true that anything core engine/feature related (IE not models/sounds/units/missions/ etc etc) from DLC's will come within a patch in general for A2/OA.

The main reason is you would have "core engine feature" mis-matches with DLC owners and non DLC owners, and would be a nightmare.

Not to mention that the DLC would otherwise require its own exe file...

I expect the BAF DLC to be a package of some PBOs, i dont see why it should come with its own blabla-license.exe or something, that would be horrible. No forced background apps plz. Remember GTA4?

That is actually the build of the patch, i.e. without buying BAF you get that number, too. BAF end up just as an ordinary addon with a folder called "BAF" and a shortcut that loads -mod=BAF. Which is imho the only reasonable way to do it.

It's great however that the patch did not only bring the engine upgrade to the main game, but also all the gear and vehicles, albeit with low-res textures. That way BAF becomes really worth it, because you can expect that it will be used extensively as most missions only use the default stuff in order not to deter people, and now they can actually put in the new stuff, and BAF buyers can enjoy the crisp high-res textures over and over (instead of only in the few sp missions delivered with BAF).