Sign in to follow this  
Dreossk

AI and grass, fixed?

Hello,

I bought this game at release but I only played for a couple of hours before uninstalling it, mainly because of the cheating AI. Now it's been a long time since then and I was looking at my Steam games and I was wondering if there was any improvement made?

- Can the AI suddenly see a player moving proned in grass?

- If I'm lying in the grass, not moving, and shooting at an AI, will he instantly know exactly where I am ?

- If that was not improved, is it any different in the expansion?

Thanks!

They will know where you are because the grass layer is a visual obstacle meant only for the player. You can turn grass off by setting terrain level to very low or using an addon that shortens it.

Thanks! I'll look for another game or come back in a couple of months to see if it is fixed.

Thanks! I'll look for another game or come back in a couple of months to see if it is fixed.
You will come back anyway as there is no other MilSim on the market exept VBS2 providing the all around depth of ArmA II OA.

I get the feeling that "cheating AI" = AI that cannot be killed by using exactly the same tactic every single time? ;)

Edited by DMarkwick

you would give up a game like this for what?

The AI only get better with mods, theres so much to do in this game then just play a sp mission or even mp,

your problem is only one issue of many, but like others have said its a visual thing, if you hide behind trees and bushes

then you will have cover, how will you have cover in grass, theres nothing tall enough to hide in except maybe some areas,

all depends, but the trees and bushes do block the AIs view.

you give up to easy man, stay around and find out what you can do or do different, the game isn't limited to what the

developers give you, and really they give you a freakin sandbox to play in, I mean you can make your own games,

make our own mods, addons, your own models, your own islands, i mean i can go on and on, and on, ya and on,

thats how vast this game is. go on Armaholic---> http://www.armaholic.com/index.php

and into the download section and look at the vast diverse selection of addons mods and

scripts and what have you, for this.

Theres and old saying that applies to BIS games

If you think you have seen it all, think again, theres more to it then what

meets the eye, and AI, lol

There are no limits in this game, you can change the grass yoursellf to make the Ai not see

you in it, there are tutorials and programs that could help you make an addon that can do that.

This is a simulator sandbox, this aint no run n gun play for 10-20 hrs and then i need a new game.

Alot of the people i see on these forums that have been around since the first game and maybe later,

can tell you almsot about the same stuff I just said, maybe better.

well anyways my rant or convincing is done,

i said what i can say, good luck to you then.

Hello,

I bought this game at release but I only played for a couple of hours before uninstalling it, mainly because of the cheating AI. Now it's been a long time since then and I was looking at my Steam games and I was wondering if there was any improvement made?

- Can the AI suddenly see a player moving proned in grass?

- If I'm lying in the grass, not moving, and shooting at an AI, will he instantly know exactly where I am ?

- If that was not improved, is it any different in the expansion?

Thanks!

is great for sneaking around, however dont use it during combat because it will get you killed. Its basically the cover/concealment thing every guide talks about. ;)

I cant say its perfect, but it does the job under most circumstances.

Don't be so sure. They AI does not see the way you do, but its odds of noticing you are significantly reduced when you are in grassy terrain. However the AI is pretty good at using suppressive fire. Namely, if it has a rough idea where you are (because, say, you just fired from that area) then it will spam the whole area with a ton of automatic rifle fire. It only takes a couple of bullets to kill you.

You may need to update your tactics.

That said it's worthwhile turning grass off, both in MP and in SP. Not only does it boost your performance but even in MP your enemies will have it shut off so they can see you--better you have some idea what they're looking at.

No grass? Never! I quit playing OFP ages ago. :p Grass in Takistan is seriously not a problem anyway. And when it is (in Chernarus or addon islands), just adopt your tactics - keep someone behind in overwatch who does see better.

There is a way to "lock" the grass parameter for everyone in MP?

See ya in a couple of months :wave:

In my experience the AI does definitely see through grass in the following situation: When you are to engage the top of a hill which the enemy AI is holding.

Inumerous times (while advancing in their direction) I was killed without seing the AI. As I side note: The AI had no knowledge of me.

Only after disabling the grass I had a chance, cause then I could see them at the same moment as they saw me.

It is this way since Arma 1 and I don't understand, why it never was changed.

Edited by Undeceived

There is a way to "lock" the grass parameter for everyone in MP?

The server setting dictates if grass is ON or OFF for everyone so unless it is running a mission that allows changing it it's already "locked".

And as CarlGustaffa said, I stopped playing OFP years ago so I do not play on servers without grass enabled.

/KC

This thread makes no sense to me.

1. Why ask others if the game has improved when you own it? Why not just patch it and test out your 'grass theories' yourself? That way you get a definitive answer, not other people's (always disparate) opinions.

2. If you can happily abandon a unique game like Arma2 over a few AI issues, rather than learning to tweak your difficulty settings or trying out some AI mods, let's face it this game isn't for you - your nonchalance indicates you already knew this before posting.

3. You seem to think you can easily find a game to replace Arma2 in your gaming schedule. This not only reinforces my point 2, but also indicates that you have not grasped what makes Arma so different from the rest of the titles on your game store's (virtual) shelf.

4. Why broadcast your intention to 'ditch' ArmA2 to the world unless you are (a) trapped in a bitter love-hate relationship with the game (and by proxy its devs), making you seek to try and 'hurt' them in payback for all those frustrating deaths at the hands of the AI, or (b) you are in fact a troll trying out a new, reverse-psychology trolling technique by pretending to want to like a game you truthfully want only publically to disparage?

Edited by Mandrake5

Hmmm interesting....

On the weekend I was online playing Warfare. I was lying on the ground amongst tall grass on the flat area at the top of a rise, outside view I could just see the otherside of the rise. There was an AI controlled soldier and an AI controlled APC. The soldier never saw me and the APC rolled up the hill 10 metres from me focused on some of the guys way behind me that were on my side. It drove past me and didn't even blink.

This is by no means decisive, could have been that the view from the vehicle was restricted to directly in front. However it is encouraging that the AI MUST actually see you and don't just automatically detect you.

As for grass yeah it is a bit dodgy especially when some online servers allow you to turn it off. I think it should always be on regardless. Makes a huge difference when PVP.

As for grass yeah it is a bit dodgy especially when some online servers allow you to turn it off. I think it should always be on regardless. Makes a huge difference when PVP.

A difference to the worse, hence all seriously designed pvp missions and events have grass disabled or shortened.

A difference to the worse, hence all seriously designed pvp missions and events have grass disabled or shortened.

Why a difference for the worse?

I thought if both sides had tall grass then both found it equally has hard to see other players? so whether it is off, short or normal it should be the same for both sides?

Why a difference for the worse?

I thought if both sides had tall grass then both found it equally has hard to see other players? so whether it is off, short or normal it should be the same for both sides?

These pictures should answer your question:

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0780/a2_nograss1

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0797/a2_grass1

http://i.imagehost.org/view/0985/a2_nograss2

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0151/a2_grass2