Sign in to follow this  
rosentorf

unrealisticly dark nights in OA/CO?

Hey y'all,

my wife just got me operation arrowhead for my birthday. :yay: Now I enjoy it quite a bit. IMO it looks better, runs smoother and I like the new weapons features and all that. All but one thing: are the nights darker than with vanilla?? In Arma2 without the expansion I could always see some of the ground. When I was a kid and living in a small village surrounded by woods, hills and woody hills with forests I remember nights with lots of stars to be bright enough to see at least the general shape of the ground. But in OA Editor I have a night with perfect weather (0 o'clock) and I can see a lot of stars. But I can not see the horizon or anything else. Is that real? :confused: or is it like that in takistan? maybe I have to try and look for a night with a moon...dates anyone? :o

regards

rosentorf

EDIT: Ok nights with moon look awesome :yay:^2 (7th of August, 0 o'clock). Still I wonder if it is correct with the super dark moonless but star rich nights

Edited by rosentorf

Depends on time of year iirc. Try setting it to mid-summer and then try again :)

Hey y'all,

my wife just got me operation arrowhead for my birthday.

Damn -thats a good wife ya got there! :D

Yeah I am pretty luck alright! :D

I tried mid-summer (July 28th) and it's the same: pitchblack night with stars. As soon as the moon get's involved it's very bright as it should be.

Yeah haha, good wife man. Bare in mind that it may be your contrast/gamma settings in OA. Have a quick mess around with those.

I read somewhere that nights in Afghanistan can be pitch black. The RNLAF even had to buy new nvg's for their pilots because the old ones weren't sensitive enough. Those new ones can function with less than 0.5 millilux, which is the case if there's no moonlight or a city closeby.

Nicolai

What about the nights in Chernarus?

Or were you talking about Chernarus in your posts (Chernarus in OA, of course ;) )?

I could be wrong here, this is info I read about many years ago, and I can't be arsed to google it right now...The thing that gives a lot of light at night, (you should get a bit from the moon yes, which is still reflected), is actually reflected light. Reflected light from cities and urban areas. Even on clear nights, there is still light relected from the upper layers of the atmosphere. So, in a country like Takistan, mainly villiges and small towns, there wont be as much, if any, relected light. I suppose the same could be said for the northern areas of Chernarus.

Edited by Bascule42

I don't think starlight is ever strong enough to see by, except by night vision goggles. Moonlight and other light reflected off clouds is really the only way you'd see at night.

Hey,

I tried the gamma and brightness settings and with the highest brightness I could only see a few weeds on the ground. Theres is actually nothing to see there.

If it's true and it is as dark as Nicolai read somewhere, it's fine for me. I was just surprised about the darkness. Good thing I always pack NVG! :D

Having been in a very remote area of Scotland with little habitation around. I can assure you it can get very dark indeed. I remember looking down and not even being able to see my feet!

I've experienced many moonless nights where you can't make out the ground below you, and it hasn't been that far from towns. Once I had to navigate a forest path by looking at the sky to see where the trees were.

I've experienced many moonless nights where you can't make out the ground below you, and it hasn't been that far from towns. Once I had to navigate a forest path by looking at the sky to see where the trees were.
Experienced the same with the boyscouts...after my torch was burnwed up i had a hard time finding myx way in pitch bacl night in the woods...I could nyl orient at the sounds of cars passing by till I found a road I could follow..and even that was hard to make out in the night. I Did buy a keyring torch after this 2 hours of nightmare and have it with me almost everytime I leave the house. Nights can be so pitch black as if you were blind. Im in fact a bit courious thats there are people in the worls not knowing the simple fact that you are in big trouble out in the countryside, wilderness or even montains without a light in the night. It happens even in civilizes regions in germany like the Harz, Schwarzwald or other mountanous regions that hikers get lost in the night and fall to death or simply break a leg and get found to late...just 30 km away from a town with 50.000 Inhabtants. Edited by Beagle