Sign in to follow this  
Draper

RUM Assets

I think I may have solved the Combat Landings issue... testing so far good... still tweaking though. :)

I sorted my crazy behaviour in the mission. It seems that I needed to set createGroup west instead of createGroup side player, as there is something screwy with how VTS initialises the gamemaster.

I'm pleased that it is working now. Going to do more testing later.

Guys is it possible to HALO rather than parachute when using the 'para' option in transport helos?

WallyJas, not right now, but might be a feature for the future.

Wow! You guys have been busy while I've been away.

VRCRaptor, your hired. I'll PM particulars.

Yeah too right .... my mission wouldn't be the same without RUM Assets !

Guys, can you get fixed wing air assets to taxi along one of the grass runways in Chernarus? Both my Harrier and Warthog down't like getting grass stains on their tyres, they prefer the tarmac!

Guys, can you get fixed wing air assets to taxi along one of the grass runways in Chernarus? Both my Harrier and Warthog down't like getting grass stains on their tyres, they prefer the tarmac!

Will have to check this one out... they dont mind the sand on them in Takistan. My next mission build will be on Chernarus, so I will let you know. :)

Which airport?

Edited by VRCRaptor
adding to comment

hey guys i love this addon. the only problem im having now is artillery being called on its own without me giving the orders. when ever an enemy unit is cited my artillery pieces take it upon themselves and start shooting without me having gone through the rum system. I also noticed that every player has access to the rum commands when your press 0 then 8, regardless or not if this person is named rum_cmd or not.

I placed a soldier with no name and he had access to the rum commands even though the rum_cmd was not there.

could they be connected?

@WallyJas

For the aircraft AI to orient themselves they need a taxi way. In-game its the "small strip" next to the "big strip". Those remote airports I don't think have them. However it may also be obstacles in their way. Even if your on tarmac they slow to a stop and bump forward if a plane is parked near by. Ultimately that's what BIS gave us to work with, and I'm not sure it could be improved. (impose a minimum speed? idk just thinking)

harkkam08

You could try to set the artillery to a non-combative behavior. Simple way point in the editor probably would suffice. I don't know if this means they will never fire and not do arty missions but you could test it out. lmk if that fixes the issue.

Found a problem with the naming of CBUs. In settings they are named CBUAT for instance but in bomb fall.sqf they are named LGBAT.

Easy fix. Testing now. Works.

Thanks for that Draper, I suspected that that was the case. Is there any way of being able to place markers or something so that the mission maker can manually force the AI fixed wings to taxi?

I have 4 fixed wing on the airport in Fallujah and they taxi on the apron, take off and return on the apron. The only thing I had to add was a speed<2 (in case they got stuck) so that it reset the aircraft back on their home positions.

I'm having some problems with the transport and supply helis to make them do the right thing.

@WallyJas

I don't think you can force a taxi (unless you setpos a path for the aircraft, which is alot of work) Before this I just had spawn at the end of the run way, and take off you might try that approach.

@Kremator

yeah the default is that they have to be 50 m away from their home position to reset. When i tried speed they would somtimes stop on the taxi and then get reset to soon. Maybe a combo would work better? have to be 100 m away from the home pad and at a slow speed.

Transport and Supply are having some issues especially with MP dedi use and timing. Those issues are the highest on my docket right now.

Glad to hear you still working on it Draper! I use it all the time in my missions.

Thanks

Hey Draper,

I put the speed <2 thing in because there are objects between the apron and runway that blocked the aircraft returning to their hangars. This way, should they get blocked they reset, otherwise they continue taxiing until 50m away from home :)

Good to see transport and supply up there ! A 'non addon' underslung supply heli would be great :)

I'm struggling to get Combat Landings working at all. They need to be even faster than the orignal author got them ...... in FAST and get outta there !

Thanks Raptor, its the North East grass field.

Started building this week on Chernarus and will make a test soon... do you have a mission file that has how you oriented the aircraft? might help to know if I place them the same way. take a pic of it if you want, either way.

Raptor

Hi Draper,

We've been attempting to use this script package for an event that involves a large number of players (in the region of 60-70) and noticed with more than 25-30 people on it causes severe performance issues to the point of killing the server -we've isolated it down to RUM and were wondering if you may have any idea what's causing it?

Well in missions I've done, 8-10 players, if I had other scripts (DAC or UPSMON > 10 zones) the server would seize up to the point that RUM and other scripts would not function. (i.e. I timed the radio dialog with an aircraft and it literally took 30 mins). I think this is more a problem with server rentals, ArmA doesn't seem to like virtual server space and needs dedicated hardware to run decently, since these missions ran super smooth dedicated on my machine.

Since I don't know exactly what your running I just have some general advice. Run RUM completely local to whoever is using it in-game + the server and no one else. (if (player == radioman) then {[] execVm RUM_settings}; )You could also disable the "scootable" option for artillery because that is a loop script waiting for a code to be sent via publicVariable and could cause some lag. Other then that, it would be a matter of streamlining the code, possibly in FSM, so that it can function when the server is being maxed out. I use alot of waituntils{} to hold up the code while aircraft fly and I think the wiki said they aren't good for performance, so that would require restructuring all the code, which i'm not liable to do until all the functions actually work first.

Draper this is a great script, use in most all my missions. I hope your still improving it.

Thanks

If the delay in me responding to this post is any indication, I haven't made huge head way.

I've written the Fixed wing bomb falls into FSM to improve accuracy on dedicated servers, tweaked transport helo options, and I hear VRCRaptor has a fixed wing transport system set up (HALO jump and all).

Maybe something by Christmas. :)