Sign in to follow this  
Utrinque Paratus

Considering getting OA...

'lo chaps,

I'm seriously considering picking up OA, and the British DLC - but this is the first "milsim" game I've ever played. There are a few things putting me off.

-How complex are the controls?

-How easy/hard to control are vehicles?

-How do you get the most out of multiplayer? If you think clans, could you recommend one for me when I've found my feet?

Its the complexity thats putting me off really.

(Also, does this have built in VOIP?)

1. Command controls can be complex but practice will overcome them and you'll soon be ordering your men around in a couple of keystrokes w/o setting eyes on your keyboard

2. Vehicles are very simple WASD or any user set controls you choose, air vehicles can be keyboard and mouse or joystick

3. A clan, or Unit, would be your best path. I cannot really recommend a group becuase its personal opinion!

4. Yes there is VOIP (known ingame as VON)

The campaign is not really worth it unless you plan on diving in to it on Expert, Multiplayer, custom made missions/addons, and the game built in mission editor is where the core of this game lies :)

Yep, and the Tutorials missions before going to Campaign. And still you will have things to learn.

Get Combined Operations, not just OA. It's only a few dollars more, but includes tons more content a lot of which will be required in online play.

The campaign is not really worth it unless you plan on diving in to it on Expert

Weird suggestion to give to someone who haven't touched the game yet. The campaign is nuts tough on expert; commanding from a vehicle without 3rd person is not something you want to do (I didn't use map commanding though). It was a bloody nightmare, at least for me, and I'm no fan of 3rd person.

I suggest starting at the bottom, with all the GUI help you can get, toy with turning stuff on and off and see what combos you like. Then advance through the difficulty modes. There are not many expert servers for the public, and even most veteran servers run with difficulty options turned on that I can't stand.

Unlike other games, play through the campaign once, and you haven't seen half of it. The next time you play, you might trigger different missions or outcomes, making it worthwhile to give it another try once in a while.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Weird suggestion to give to someone who haven't touched the game yet. The campaign is nuts tough on expert;

But its fun, you gotta admit :D