Sign in to follow this  
Urbanski

OA constant CTD

Hi all,

I'm a long time player of this series (starting with the original OFP, ARMA, ARMAII and now OA) and I'm having huge problems with OA.

I get a CTD whenever I try to play the campaign or any of the scenarios. The editor seems fine but i've had a limited play on it. The CTDs are random, sometimes after 2 seconds, sometimes after 5 mins.

On loading the game I get 2 error messages as below.

"bin\config.bin/cfgvehicles/V3S_Base.scope"

"bin\config.bin/cfgfontfamilies.zeppelin32mono"

On loading the laser show senario i get this error message

"bin\config.bin/cfgvehicles/V3S_TK_EP1.vehicleclass"

I get another error message on another scenario about a missing texture

/concreteblock/concrete_missing_white_paint...... or something similar

Basically I can't play the game. I have ARMA2 installed. I tried uninstalling both games but if anything after the reinstall and 1.07 patch it's worse.

ARMA 2 and OA are shop bought including (from GAME in the UK)

I've had problems with every single BIS game i've bought but i've managed to work out solutions thanks to the community.

Can anyone help??

system:

Dell XPS720

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 at 2.40ghz

GeForce 8800 GTX 768mb

3Gig RAM

500 Gig HD

Windows Vista 32bit home premium edition

P.S. BIS - Is there any chance that you might consider selling me a game that actually works out of the box like most other software houses or do I have to go through hours and hours of trial and error with every single one of your products and expansions before it works as intended?

Edited by Urbanski

What NVIDIA drivers are you running, I had a constant CTD problem with the latest 258.96 but sorted it by going back to the 258.69 drivers.

Hi Liquid,

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure about video driver version - i'm at work right now so i'll check later.

Having tried a few different scenarios now the number of missing textures and objects is into double figures. Everytime I try to start a mission or load a map in the editor I get 2-3 or 4 error messages saying that xyz object or texture is missing.

I have a feeling that my trouble is in the installing of the game. It's as if it's skipping or excluding random files at install. There should be no reason for this as it is a shop bought product and patched to the latest version.

Someone suggested updating firmware drivers for the DVD Rom which apparently is known to cause problems - that's a new one on me but worth a try.

Here we go on the BIS trial and error marathon.

OK it's not the firmware - I have the latest version already.

I updated nvidia drivers to 257.21 which made no difference - couldn't find 258.69 on the nvidia site??

I did a complete reinstall of both ARMA 2 and OA and I'm still getting the same error messages.

I'm stumped, I'm not sure what to try now. I have spent £25 on a product that is broken right out of the box.

At least with ARMA 2 I could play the game even if the campaign was broken.

BIS, a response of some description would be nice - these are your forums after all.

The product is not broken because it obviously works for thousands of people so the problem must be at your side.

The error messages you describe in your first post indicate already that something went wrong during the installation. Do you run OA alone or together with ArmA2 as Combined Operations?

Forget about the driver and firmware for the moment, they are not causing the error messages.

Uninstall both products, then install ArmA2 and run it once so all needed registry keys are written. If A2 is running fine install Operation Arrowhead, during its installation it should ask you if you want to combine with A2 or run it as standalone. Decide as you please and start it. There shouldn't be any error messages at all.

Forget about Patch 1.07 if you combine A2 and OA as the OA executable is the only one running after.

Wolle and Dwarden,

Thanks for the replies.

Wolle I was never given the option during install to combine OA and ARMA 2 or run it as a stand alone.

I did have ARMA 2 installed and never had a problem on install. I will reinstall it tonight. Is it worth patching it or do I just use the 1.00 box version to test run it?

I will follow your instructions after that, hopefully this will work.

On a side issue I noticed during Install that the 1.06 patch that comes with OA didn't patch properly, there was an error message at the end saying one of the files was corrupted and I should download it again.

This is also true of the 1.05 patch - same error message.

Thanks

Wolle and Dwarden,

Thanks for the replies.

Wolle I was never given the option during install to combine OA and ARMA 2 or run it as a stand alone.

I did have ARMA 2 installed and never had a problem on install. I will reinstall it tonight. Is it worth patching it or do I just use the 1.00 box version to test run it?

I will follow your instructions after that, hopefully this will work.

On a side issue I noticed during Install that the 1.06 patch that comes with OA didn't patch properly, there was an error message at the end saying one of the files was corrupted and I should download it again.

This is also true of the 1.05 patch - same error message.

Thanks

ArmA2 out of the box will do for the first run. Then apply the 1.05 patch and start the game again before applying 1.07. There shouldn't be any error messages while installing or patching.

Another guy had the same problem a few days ago that OA doesn't ask for combining the games. If that doesn't work install OA in its own directory, you still can run CO later using Dwardens solution described here.

Wolle,

Genius - it worked. Both games installed properly with no error messages at install or patching.

It took all night to do it so I only got a few minutes of play but so far no errors and no CTD.

Many thanks but I have to say although logical I would never have stumbled across that solution on my own especially starting the game after every patch update.

Nice one :)