miles teg

The Lost Brothers Mod Official Release thread for ArmA2/OA

greetings from egypt .............i can`t seee t55 gunner sight with the cross targeting .....

another question : when will u release israeli_arab conflict pack like ofp pack ?

OPFFever: Thanks bud! Glad you're enjoying it!

Ahmed: We will try to fix up the T-55 to see what's going on there. The Israeli-Arab conflict part of our mod (the main part) will be released in small parts. We currently have our IDF infantry pack and Hezbollah infantry almost finished and we are waiting for a few more tanks to get finished along with a helicopter and jet-fighter. So it is coming soon and we may just start out by releasing an infantry pack and then later release the armor and aircraft packs. Either way, the Infantry, armor, and aircraft packs will be seperate. That way each pack can be updated seperately and it won't be such a big download. However our goal is to make the mod as big as it was in OFP (which was HUGE). But we are a very small mod with only 3 active members and a little bit of help from other addon makers. Inshallah, we will make good steady progress and eventually have the entire Israeli, Egyptian, and Syrian armies, airforces, and navies in the mod. :) We also still want to make Jordanian and Saudi Arabian units as well.

We have some beautiful Challenger 1 and AMX-30 tank models sitting around that need some love. :)

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

For updating you may want to consider YAS, that way only files that are actually updated get downloaded, and people can get (and update) everything you release with ease.

Yeah that is not a bad idea but I'm not sure if our FTP could handle that.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Ahmed: We will try to fix up the T-55 to see what's going on there. The Israeli-Arab conflict part of our mod (the main part) will be released in small parts. We currently have our IDF infantry pack and Hezbollah infantry almost finished and we are waiting for a few more tanks to get finished along with a helicopter and jet-fighter. So it is coming soon and we may just start out by releasing an infantry pack and then later release the armor and aircraft packs. Either way, the Infantry, armor, and aircraft packs will be seperate. That way each pack can be updated seperately and it won't be such a big download. However our goal is to make the mod as big as it was in OFP (which was HUGE). But we are a very small mod with only 3 active members and a little bit of help from other addon makers. Inshallah, we will make good steady progress and eventually have the entire Israeli, Egyptian, and Syrian armies, airforces, and navies in the mod. We also still want to make Jordanian and Saudi Arabian units as well.

We have some beautiful Challenger 1 and AMX-30 tank models sitting around that need some love.

thanks 4 replay can`t wait to play that mod >>playing ofp-lobo until release .......very nice jop guys .

News: The LoBo US1991 Military pack is almost finished. Soon you will be able to recreate Gulf Was scenarios properly

Andrei

Yup, Andrei has been working his butt off rapidly trying to built a more or less realistic 1991 US Army and Marines BLUFOR as alot of people were complaining about the lack of a BLUFOR (and are too impatient to wait for the Iranian mod to release a pack). We had the basics to create US forces from that period so we figured...eh what the hell, why not. This way the LoBo Iraq pack will be more of a Lobo 1991 Gulf War Pack and thus more usable for Domination/Warfare mission makers as well as mission makers who want to re-create historic battles from the 1991 Gulf War.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

It would be really good if you make a ACE version of the mod. Then we have a realistic sadam-war.

You don't need ACE for it to be realistic. ACE is cool in some ways, but it also breaks alot of the BI stuff (like the crew served weapons backpacks).

So I'm not sure why everyone thinks you absolutely need it for realism.

We will probably eventually have optional ACE configs, but it's not a priority.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

The BI backpacks are already broken, I'm sure if ACE could fix them they would. :(

And yes, ACE does add a lot to the realism. From the most basic ballistics (for all weapons) all the way to proper armor and FCS.

UPDATES:

LoBo Iraqi Army - Thermal images on soldiers now work 100%. Next steps are to add thermals to the folowing vehicles: T55, T62, Urutu, Cascavel.

LoBo US1991 Military - Almost good to go, only need the thermal images, that should ne easy now I learned how to do it, lol.

The BI backpacks are already broken, I'm sure if ACE could fix them they would. :(

And yes, ACE does add a lot to the realism. From the most basic ballistics (for all weapons) all the way to proper armor and FCS.

...and in the same time they break a lot of stuff because they partially don't know what they doin. As example breaking default eject on addon planes or AT missiles that hardly reach their target.

@Miles Teg

Keep it up. your stuff looks damn good.

Fidai: Yeah our Hezbollah guys look pretty much like what you posted with a mixture of IDF kevlar helmets and the older French made steel-pots. The units with body armor have PASGT kevlar vests (what US forces used in the late 80's/early 90's) as they got alot from the Lebanese Army and other sources. In real life, a few also use older Vietnam War era ballistic nylon vests mixed in with a few individuals who have higher-end body armor with ceramic plates, but we can't find a good model for the older ballistic nylon vests and we decided not to use any of the ceramic plate body armor as its so seldom used by Hezbollah from what I can tell (plus our only other body armor models are the IDF body armor and BI Russian body armor on their sample model).

Galzohar: ACE doesn't really change the ballistics (except on some of the AT rockets). They mainly just add the ability to adjust your sights. The enemy are still snipers with AK47s and able to often kill you with one or two shots at 300-500 meters with ACE for example (extremely unrealistic). I also HATE the range adjustment crap on the rockets. It's fairly useless without a rangefinder unless you are super good at range estimation.

Also I'd have to have samples of their armor to implement their system (which I believe they actually got from the old LoBo system that Calm Terror made for us in OFP). Unfortunately he's gone and I don't know how it works so we never implemented it in ArmA1 or Arma2. Unless we get a tutorial on that, the LoBo ArmA2 won't have it either unless I spend a few hours/days trying to figure out how our old system worked in OFP and whether we can implement it in ArmA2OA. Also the FCS on TOW launchers, last I checked, was screwed up in ACE. I think the default BI system works fine. Even if we did use it, again, it would take alot of work to get our armor fully ACE compatible. I'd rather spend that time converting or adding more units for our mod rather then screwing around with ACE and trying to keep up with updates and stuff (which means constantly updating our addons). So basically there is no way to magically convert our addons to ACE and keep them constantly updated. It takes alot of time, work, and FTP bandwidth for a Yoma setup to keep everything properly updated for ACE. I just don't think it's really worth it.

I'd prefer to recruit a talented config scripter to help us implement ACE-like features in our mod so that it was not dependent upon ACE. Otherwise, the most that can be hoped for is perhaps an ACE config for our infantry and any vehicles that do not require changes to their models (that might effect using those models with a default non-ACE config).

Myke: yeah I agree. Those are some of the reasons why we're not jumping all over ACE. Andrei will probably make an ACE config for the Gulf War guys, but I'm in no big hurry to make it for the IDF and Hezbollah infantry units.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Edited by Miles Teg

UPDATES:

LoBo Iraqi Army - Thermal images on soldiers now work 100%. Next steps are to add thermals to the folowing vehicles: T55, T62, Urutu, Cascavel.

LoBo US1991 Military - Almost good to go, only need the thermal images, that should ne easy now I learned how to do it, lol.

Any chance on helping me with TI on some Iranian Stuff??

As for the ACE realistic issue, I have actually made the lesser experienced troops with less accuracy as a default setting in the infantry config, this works very well in fire fights etc. where these guys can't shoot for nuts!! :D

I have also reduced the accuracy (i.e. dispersion) on all my weapons, and the AK based KL-7.62 rifle is only accurate upto 250m or so and then it goes everywhere.

These are quite simple configs that can be introduced over-riding some of the ACE or default setings. Please don't consider this as an ACE bashing session. :)

First of all, that's one of the best Iraq Mods I've seen so far for ArmA II! :):yay: Everything I'd like to use is included!

While browsing through the units I noticed some bugs. I don't know if they are already known because I simply had no time reading the whole thread. I hope the following listing helps improving this mod.

Parts of my RPT file:

Version 1.54.73246
Error in expression <(fraction > l) >
 Error position: <fraction > l) >
 Error Nicht definierte Variable in Ausdruck: fraction
(several thousand lines, but to be honest - I don't know if it's caused by this mod because I used one of the new beta patches and god knows if something was broken)

Warning: Shadow volume 'lobo_iraq_t55\lobo_iraq_t55.p3d' has got irrelevant selection 'pasoffsetp'
Warning: Shadow volume 'lobo_iraq_t55\lobo_iraq_t55.p3d' has got irrelevant selection 'pasoffsetl'
Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/OPGWC_EE9.holdOffroadFormation'.
Warning Message: '/' is not a value
class HitPoints::HitRGlass not found in OPGWC_EE9
class HitPoints::HitLGlass not found in OPGWC_EE9
class HitPoints::HitBody not found in OPGWC_EE9
class HitPoints::HitFuel not found in OPGWC_EE9
class HitPoints::HitLFWheel not found in OPGWC_EE9
class HitPoints::HitRFWheel not found in OPGWC_EE9
class HitPoints::HitLF2Wheel not found in OPGWC_EE9
class HitPoints::HitRF2Wheel not found in OPGWC_EE9
class HitPoints::HitLMWheel not found in OPGWC_EE9
class HitPoints::HitRMWheel not found in OPGWC_EE9
class HitPoints::HitLBWheel not found in OPGWC_EE9
class HitPoints::HitRBWheel not found in OPGWC_EE9
Error loading control bin\config.bin/RscDisplayArcadeUnit/controls/CA_ValueFaction/
Error loading control bin\config.bin/RscDisplayArcadeUnit/controls/CA_ValueClass/
Error loading control bin\config.bin/RscDisplayArcadeUnit/controls/CA_ValueVehicle/
Error loading control bin\config.bin/RscDisplayArcadeUnit/controls/CA_ValueFaction/
Error loading control bin\config.bin/RscDisplayArcadeUnit/controls/CA_ValueClass/
Error loading control bin\config.bin/RscDisplayArcadeUnit/controls/CA_ValueVehicle/

T-55 has no backside interior

arma2oa2010091120100288.th.jpg

T-55 has no view outside

arma2oa2010091120100580.th.jpg

The textures on most vehicles looked very blurred. I tried several different graphic settings but it didn't change anything :(

I've noticed that there are new weapons in this mod. Is an iraqi weapon and ammunition crate planned?

Keep on modding!

I've had problems with missiles hitting their targets with vanilla OA too... In any case I'm sure ACE is working on getting it done properly.

ACE does change a lot of ballistics, and most importantly allows you to have the weapon ballistics depend on the weapon as well and not just the magazine. It's a lot more than just sight adjustments - There are actual ballistics there and where I compared them to RL they seemed to be alright (unlike BIS ballistics which were quite off).

It would be a shame to have no ACE support on the IDF and Hezbollah addons, as the only Israelis I know that play Arma 2 would not play without ACE and non-ACE-supporting addons have some issues (though regarding the ejection seat, didn't they fix that?). I'm sure if you need help figuring out how to make your addon both ACE and non-ACE compatible you could ask the ACE team for help - They're not that evil (at least not all the time ;)).

I know some of the guys from the lobo mod team. There all great guy in I'm sure they will try to add ace at some point but as of right now that not there priority. In with or without ACE this MOD speak for it self it's great. So if anyone wont play based on the fact that they have not maid it ace compatible yet then I think that is there loss. These guy are working vary hard I'm sure. So ace compatibility will come when they have time to do it I would think. In this is by know means me bashing ace I think ace is cool. But ace has there MOD in the lobo team has there's. just give it time it will work it self out.

P.S. I'm am not speaking for the lobo MOD team just giving my opinion.

Edited by esco7800

Galzohar: Yeah it's not that I hate ACE. I play regular on the United Operations server (made up of what used to be the Tactical Gamer ArmA2 community). ACE is standard there. However galzohar, if there are weapons ballistics that ACE made more realistic, I have not noticed this at all. I was an expert marksman on the M16A2 and have experience with the M60, M249, M2, Mk-19, AT-4, and M-203 systems in the US Army. (No disrespect but aside from DM's and medium/heavy machinegunners, IDF marksmanship training is generally limited to 100 meters). I haven't experienced any ballistics that were terribly off with any of those on stock BI. On the other hand ACE added insane recoil on the FNFAL and G-3 rifles as well as made the recoil on M16 rifles way too high in my opinion. Also, honestly I don't care who plays or doesn't play the mod. The only reason I keep the mod going is because I like playing it. If anyone else likes playing it that's just a bonus. :) Also as I already explained it is A HUGE AMOUNT OF WORK keeping everything updated with all the ACE updates that often break or change things. It's just too much of a headache until they release stable versions...but they're always updating even after they release stable versions and everyone always insists on using the latest beta. So for me that's the #1 reason why it's not priority. People forget that we only have 3 people actively working on stuff in the mod and soon it will be down to just me and Andrei as Namman2 is going to stop working on stuff so he can concentrate on university studies.

So if we found someone who was willing to do all that work to update everything for ACE, and keep it updated, then that would be fine. Otherwise it would come at the expense of any new units. Already the ArmA2 IDF/Hezbollah release is going to be pitifully small compared to our glory days of OFP. It's because in comparison ArmA2 addons are alot more complicated to make and the community demands higher quality... something our little mod team is hard pressed to meet.

But if I worried about that, I would have quit a long time ago. I just like having fun with the addons. But hopefully more addon makers/texture artists/config scripters will join our mod so we can make it "purtier" and more professional. But until then, we just do our best.

Edited by Miles Teg

T-55 has no backside interior

arma2oa2010091120100288.th.jpg

T-55 has no view outside

arma2oa2010091120100580.th.jpg

The textures on most vehicles looked very blurred. I tried several different graphic settings but it didn't change anything :(

I've noticed that there are new weapons in this mod. Is an iraqi weapon and ammunition crate planned?

Keep on modding!

Thanks for the info, I am going to sort the T-55 interior bugs, specially cause thats my favorite iraqi vehicle. Andrei