Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

Taviana Island for ArmA 2!

Well, 5 days have now passed; here is the progress I’ve made since the last update! As you can see about 85% of the second island is now done, in terms of object placement. (I will need 1 or 2 days to add the new area to the satellite mask.)

new1.jpg

This city is called Mitrovice.

new2.jpg

A look at the hills near Mitrovice, and the town Å tangrad, which is the Western most towns in the Republic, also has a port and barracks.

new3.jpg

Now literally bringing something new to the table - watermelons, yuuuuum!

new4.jpg

A smaller Lenin statue in Mitrovice.

new5.jpg

Nice round hill.

new6.jpg

That’s it for today I have to go to sleep. I’m going to spend the next few days making another city about the size of Lepestok.. And once that is done, and some tourist resorts and beaches the project is pretty much done :butbut:

Hello everyone, again… I’ve been really busy but I still haven’t done as much as I hoped to by now. This is mainly due to university which is taking up a lot of my time. So I’m guessing I will have to set the project back to the end of October. But meanwhile I have some screenshots of Tavianas Riviera that should warm you up now that it’s autumn!

I kind of tried to give this a Balkan/Croatia look using objects that are already available in previous BIS games. I hope I got at least a bit close to achieving that look.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Outstanding Martin. yeah university goes first. waiting patiently for the completion of your fantastic terrain.

Keep it up

Cheers

Hey Martin, nice work, cant wait to see it finished. I would realy like to drop you a PM but your Inbox is full. Is there a chacne you can clear some space or another option to drop you a message? :P

this map it incredible for missions and even better for zombies.

also i get a very low FPS by the center of isle shebenik, other then that its 70 fps everywhere else. i usually never get lag so 3 fps while looking into the prison caught my interest

Very interesting map, Tactical Gamer admin team was looking it over yesterday as a possibility to include it in our mod set to run on the servers, unfortunately until a few issues are fixed and the second island is complete (looks like you've already done this) we cannot include it, although personally I'm gonna keep pushing this map, once it is out of beta I'd love to play it.

The biggest issue we found on the map was spots of heavy FPS hits around some tree lines but the biggest affected area was the small island on the north east sector, looked like a prison camp, causing FPS loss of around 30-40 frames.

Apart from those minor issues, this is one of the best maps I have seen, so much detail and attention has been put into this I cannot wait to see the finished product.

Best of luck

AdeptAbyss

Tactical Gamer Admin

Thank you for your comments everyone!

Hey Martin, nice work, cant wait to see it finished. I would realy like to drop you a PM but your Inbox is full. Is there a chacne you can clear some space or another option to drop you a message? :P

Full again? :butbut: I deleted a few messages, try again :wink_o:

Very interesting map, Tactical Gamer admin team was looking it over yesterday as a possibility to include it in our mod set to run on the servers, unfortunately until a few issues are fixed and the second island is complete (looks like you've already done this) we cannot include it, although personally I'm gonna keep pushing this map, once it is out of beta I'd love to play it.

The biggest issue we found on the map was spots of heavy FPS hits around some tree lines but the biggest affected area was the small island on the north east sector, looked like a prison camp, causing FPS loss of around 30-40 frames.

Apart from those minor issues, this is one of the best maps I have seen, so much detail and attention has been put into this I cannot wait to see the finished product.

Best of luck

AdeptAbyss

Tactical Gamer Admin

Hi AdeptAbyss,

I’m glad that you want to use Taviana on your server. The FPS issue on the small island will definitely be fixed. I just have a little bit to go before I begin to fix bugs and try to improve FPS. I’m planning to reduce tree numbers in forests around Sabina and other areas, hopefully this will help FPS as well as a few model tweaks.

Are the issues you mentioned your only concern or are there more issues you found? If so please compile a list and post it here so I can fix everything.

Thank you :ok:

Thenks for this map! Best map for life server:)

Bags:

Sabina train station. If go to the wall, then down underground:

http://cs405126.userapi.com/v405126152/2355/cfnnSFCXjco.jpg (185 kB)

If exit from airplan on housetop, then around hidden wall:

4e2771deffed.jpg

ecc94a575596.jpg

The car crashed into an invisible wall:

50cb3db25920.jpg

c54e5f3b6b02.jpg

02c5a407bfc2.jpg

if drive car in subway, then they crashed an invisible wall:

dffcdc35bbbb.jpg

Bag in racing track: http://vk.com/video104680751_163430673

Sabina geometry:

8e07f8863d66.jpg

..AAnnnnD!!! some problems detect some time ago by me...

In this model there is a problem with Geometry and/or Roadway LOD

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss239/Ayger74/Taviana_problems/Tavi_house.jpg

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss239/Ayger74/Taviana_problems/Tavi_house_Geometry--and--or_Roadway_problem.jpg

The model has too short height//aka a man can't pass without crouching

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss239/Ayger74/Taviana_problems/ShortHeightPassage2.jpg

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss239/Ayger74/Taviana_problems/ShortHeightPassage1.jpg

Behind desk..there is nothing (although you did it for performance reasons..it's exaggerated imo)

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss239/Ayger74/Taviana_problems/BankMissingFaces.jpg

I know you have used 'alpha face' to represent the "space" between railings ..but in the Fire Geometry LOD you should make (how can i say it??..) "Little pillar-models" (instead of one- "solid" model) so bullets CAN pass through railing-spaces

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss239/Ayger74/Taviana_problems/No_properFireGeometry.jpg

While going for 'underground' there is no shadow literally.It's a "shiny day" down there

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss239/Ayger74/Taviana_problems/NoShadowGeometry.jpg

Problems with Geometry and/or Roadway LOD again..

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss239/Ayger74/Taviana_problems/Geometry_or--and_roadwayProblem.jpg

I hope i 've been some help mate :)

Edited by GiorgyGR

[quote name=Patriot123;2232809If exit from airplan on housetop' date=' then around hidden wall:

http://s015.radikal.ru/i331/1209/d4/4e2771deffed.jpg

http://i057.radikal.ru/1209/80/ecc94a575596.jpg

Thank you for the compliment :ok: I don't quite understand what you mean with the hidden wall on this building :sad: Could you please explain this to me a bit more? (I noticed that your game is in Russian, so if it’s easier for you to explain you can write in Russian to me).

Otherwise thank you for the bug reports guys, I will do my best to fix every issue raised.

For anyone else who knows of any bugs that haven’t been mentioned, please please tell me about them! Don't be lazy or scared that you will hurt my feelings or whatever, it's just so important at this stage of the project that you let me know about any issues on the island. :ok:

Apart from that, progress it now at 97%, I just have one big city left to finish and the project will be done. After which I'll move to bug fixing, optimising it a bit and preparing it for release!

BRAVO!!!

IMHO this is a nearly perfect job atm

Sidewalks, streets and custom roads job is just beautiful and I can't remember a better job so far... city looks clean and so detailed and getting rid of grass everywhere inside towns makes a tiny big difference... I loved all your attention when placing objects so nothing looks outplaced... big bridge was a bit off but that that can be quickly fixed adjusting abs heights or, maybe better, ground terrain... you might use "show absolute height" and "set abs heights" scripts to find out your corresponding heights and/or also made some terrain vertices with CTRL+RMB as needed to match that bridge part...

Custom objects are beautiful and when I entered into train station I almost dropped my tears... really beautiful and well done... train paths and streets enviroment is carefully placed and it's a pleasure to look around your island... I haven't seen all unique features around in Taviana but what i've seen so far is simply impressive...

I took some pics about some vegetation ... really minor details... considering your highest level of dedication, for sidewalks you could try an an additional layer of BIS cluttercutter p3d objects... another possible method to deal with clutter could be making a 10-20% second bigger roadway LOD at -1 m (relative) for sidewalks models with an additional memory LOD at ground touching level to avoid seeing sidewalk model or characters floating in the air... it might be a tricky working fix to avoid growing grass near asphalt or concrete zones...

Your overall work is really lovely and encourages me to do better stuff aswell as it serves as an inspiration for map making... On the constructive side I can criticize that all mountains look all rounded shaped -a bit too much smooth tool on terrain design - and IMO it's a shame because your island deserves a better job on that aspect... can you imagine these beautiful constructions with erosion shaped sidehills as far medium landscape? It would be simply epic!

Some forests have all their trees with a very similar size... which might be good to be hidden from aircrafts but also looks a bit unnatural... perhaps you could try some smaller surrounding trees at those forests or some spots or traces inside forests with some size variation... it's just a suggestion though...

And a last one... as you did from first beta... there is a road that goes from higher to lower grounds and it's all straight... there are lot of real places where you can find that kind of design but IMO you could get a more interesting road trying some Z road... I mean, an straight road with some turns that allow a not so heavy slope for traffic... -homer johnston's road painter helps a lot for these purposes- ok, sorry I am asking too much for free but if I am complaining for an additional effort is only because you can afford it considering your outstanding work so far and your consistent overall results on getting a remarkable island... anyhow, thank you for all the high level of quality you have put in there and congratulations on your beta3 release comrades!!!! :D

Attention to detail - your doing it right. =)

@Robster, Bras91: Thank you very much guys :cheers:

@Patriot123: Thanks, if you find any more post them or PM me :ok:

Important News, Nuclear Power Station Finished!

Yes! Finally - it’s done, and the model problems are sorted out. Now I only have about 3 quarters of the last city to go and the last mile stone will be crossed.

Here are some screenshots. (I need to make the chimneys red and white tough) – Thanks to the Chernobyl MOD team from OFP for these objects! As you can see, it was tricky but I removed the sarcophagus and I made it a double reactor NPP as you guys wished.

npp1.jpg

npp2.jpg

I’m off to reply to some PM’s now and then bed.

@Patriot123: Thanks, if you find any more post them or PM me :ok:

I sending other bags in your PM 02.10.2012. You recive its?

Can you add on maps several mines or similar buildings?

I sending other bags in your PM 02.10.2012. You recive its?

Can you add on maps several mines or similar buildings?

Yes I got your PM, I thought I replied to it yesterday, I'm sorry I was PMing at like 1 o'clock in the night so I might have forgotten but I got your PM.

As for mine buildings, I can add them it's no problem. The problem is that I actually ran out of space on the island,I have like 1 square km available and that’s all urban area :biggrin: Have you got any mining objects that I can use, because I know I saw some in OA, but I'm aware that BIS doesn't allow using objects from newer titles in older ones and I wanna keep this map purely ArmA 2 based, no expansions required.

i remeber there was a quarry in the original arma 2 near solnichny so it must have some mining objects, plus most people use combined ops this days, so if you already have the expansions i don't think it will be a problem for most players to use this island if it will require combined ops. you can also create an combined ops version with the expansion content and an arma 2 version without the expansion content.

i remeber there was a quarry in the original arma 2 near solnichny so it must have some mining objects, plus most people use combined ops this days, so if you already have the expansions i don't think it will be a problem for most players to use this island if it will require combined ops. you can also create an combined ops version with the expansion content and an arma 2 version without the expansion content.

I prefer to keep only one version of addons otherwise people will download one version and a mission for the other version and it won’t have the stuff because it’s not the correct version and this thread will be full of confused people looking for the right version :biggrin:

I‘ll admit that I don’t have CO, I have standalone ArmA 2 and OA, but I never tried to merge them because I’m too scared that it will mess up my P drive and then I’ll have all those BINPBO errors and it will take me weeks to figure out how to set everything up again. :crazy: So I said I will only try once I finish Taviana.

First, nice work, love the detail and variation of the map and the playability of the towns (though even on my i7/GTX670 it drops from 90fps to 20fps when going into a down)

2nd. Any idea for a time frame of the next update (South island)? we're considering adding it to the list of maps my group uses but if it only updates in a month's time with half of someones camp again done it would be a rather pain..

I’m too scared that it will mess up my P drive and then I’ll have all those BINPBO errors and it will take me weeks to figure out how to set everything up again.

Now where the hell did you get that crazy idea out of?

Seriously I have never EVER messed my HDD by incorrectly merging a game(or any application).

if you have any slightest knowledge about how PC and its soft works(and I bet you do) you have 0% chance to mess something whatsoever by trying to merge A2 and OA.

(or if you are so afraid of that just backup all Taviana work material on an external drive/flash/SD etc before merging)

Now where the hell did you get that crazy idea out of?

Seriously I have never EVER messed my HDD by incorrectly merging a game(or any application).

if you have any slightest knowledge about how PC and its soft works(and I bet you do) you have 0% chance to mess something whatsoever by trying to merge A2 and OA.

(or if you are so afraid of that just backup all Taviana work material on an external drive/flash/SD etc before merging)

Previous experience following a HDD crash :wink_o:

I don’t see any point in merging the games together right now because I don’t plan to use anything from OA anyway. In the time it takes me to do that I could have finished another quarter of the next city.

First, nice work, love the detail and variation of the map and the playability of the towns (though even on my i7/GTX670 it drops from 90fps to 20fps when going into a down)

2nd. Any idea for a time frame of the next update (South island)? we're considering adding it to the list of maps my group uses but if it only updates in a month's time with half of someones camp again done it would be a rather pain..

Thanks :ok: I'm planning to release around the end of October, possibly early November.

Nothing really gets mergerd or changed, you just change a launch option and it launches CO, no files re-arranged.

Thanks :ok: I'm planning to release around the end of October, possibly early November.

Cheers, we run a custom repo so we may as well wait it out with impatience... :D

Hi Martin,

i have noticed some issues with the airports you placed in Beta 3. I dont know whether you are aware of this our you already fixed this.

If i have e.g. a C130 AI landing at any of your airstrips, it doesnt drive properly along the taxiways. If you want to test this, i have made a post about how to get AI to land at airports:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?130925-Derdoe-s-How-to-make-an-airplane-land-and-take-off

Another issue is that the smaller two airports have trees on the runway ends.

Other than that, i think i cant stop driving and flying around Taviana! Great work!

Some planespotting:

http://www10.pic-upload.de/09.10.12/q1728glwwkxg.jpg

http://www10.pic-upload.de/09.10.12/xrz9yk6yt4x.jpg

http://www10.pic-upload.de/09.10.12/4xsi7hppx17.jpg

http://www7.pic-upload.de/09.10.12/rndoqbhvc3aa.jpg

http://www10.pic-upload.de/09.10.12/5tcqn5itpn4p.jpg

Planes are part of the Wings of Peace pack by Mukcep64.

---- EDIT 14th of October ----

Hi Martin,

i have made a simple script to be able to follow a plane's flightpath on the map. If you wish i can send you the script so it might help you debug whats happening with the planes.

I also noticed that planes are taking off from the end of the main airport, about less than 400 meters away from the runway end and some crash right after the airport into the trees.

Would be nice if you could fix all the issues with the runways :)

Edited by derdoe