Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

Taviana Island for ArmA 2!

You're insane. (and you know - I hope - that I mean the positive here)

Ever thought of cloning yourself? With an army of you-like crazy people we would have the real world recreated in no-time :)

On a serious note:

Much applause; each screen is a welcomed sight as it shows stuff that (in my opinion) should be in the game from day one. Keep it up good sire

Thanks Topas, I hope to finish this beta as soon as I can, I still have some work to do for you and I can't wait to get to work on my other insane ideas for the island :yay:

Stunning work mate!

One question: if building gets destroyed do address plates and mailboxes float?

Hmmm good point :butbut: I never thought of that. Hmmm any ideas on how to overcome that?

Looks like I might have to remove the street names... and add legs to to mails boxes.

Looks incredible. Do you have any plans to have a bridge that connects the two islands?

Looks incredible. Do you have any plans to have a bridge that connects the two islands?

Yeah I thought of that and one of my friends suggested that too but the land on the shores slopes very steeply for about 40 meters so placing a road there or a bridge is very difficult, especially because the island is imported from OFP and has 50x50 cells size, but maybe I will come up with something. A bridge would sure be cool.

I still have some work to do for you

Oh, while I would love to get my hands on the bus or the armored train - I would never ever want these to cause any interference in your main project. Stay focused - this looks like it's gonna be a winner ;)

Looks like I might have to remove the street names...

Do ones on poles instead, it's a nice and realistic touch, would be a shame to leave it out.

PS: One question -> Why do the shadows behave so strange? One bench (in the hospital) has them, the other (which seems to be of the same model) does not?

Edited by topas

PS: One question -> Why do the shadows behave so strange? One bench (in the hospital) has them, the other (which seems to be of the same model) does not?

I place all the objects like chairs, flowers etc... directly in Visitor (not as proxies in the model) so you can destroy them individually but some models like the hospital don’t have a geometry LOD yet so the sun can go through any wall and cast a shadow from the BIS objects like the chairs on to the floor. But if the geometry is there the sun can’t go through the wall and shadows work like in real life i.e. everything inside a room is in a shdow, see bellow:

So in some angles the shadows show and in some they don’t because of surrounding structures which have a geometry LOD.

2pnotc27mggfj7le1m0m.jpg

EDIT:

Do ones on poles instead, it's a nice and realistic touch, would be a shame to leave it out.

Great idea! Added to my to do list good.gif

Ps. It’s amazing how consistent Eastern Europe is, if it wasn’t for the Polish street names I would say that photo it taken next door to my block in the Czech Republic biggrin.gif

Edited by -Martin-

Hmmm good point :butbut: I never thought of that. Hmmm any ideas on how to overcome that?

Alternately, can't your damage model just not have the building corners remain intact? This way the rest of the building is gone, except for the corners (and the signs). I think.

Abs

@ -Martin-

Just my thoughts:

Some of the hills surrounding the citys look a bit odd. Not really natural, too steep and high for my taste.

Is this intentional (maybe for better FPS ?) or are they still WIP ?

Thanks for this great island, cant wait to play on it ! :ok:

(About Street names on poles)

Yes..its nice idea-but..

..if u compute the 'total' amount of street-name-poles on whole map isn't

a serious number of polygons??..or i m thinking too 'strict' with polygons? :confused:

Alternately, can't your damage model just not have the building corners remain intact? This way the rest of the building is gone, except for the corners (and the signs). I think.

Abs

That’s also a great idea, it’s more work than making the poles tough but I will keep this as plan B in case the poles cause some kind of trouble when people test the island. I have no idea how to make a damage model work yet tough blush.gif

By the way, the name of that room would be the "Autopsy Room", if I'm not mistaken.

Ah yes, how could I forget :butbut: Thanks!

Martin, dear god man. Do you ever sleep?

Sleep!? scratch_one-s_head.gif I haven't done that since OFP came out.

*Almost forgot. Did you draw this yourself? http://shareimage.org/images/a6oubey86hptta0nusv.jpg It looks amazing...

Nope, I’m not that good in Photoshop blush.gif The murals are made from photos of the Palace of Culture in Dresden, Germany. See here: http://v3.cache7.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/51009320.jpg?redirect_counter=2 (big image)

If you look closely you can see the GDR coat of arms and some German writing on the screenshot which I still have to change for Taviana versions biggrin.gif

Just my thoughts:

Some of the hills surrounding the citys look a bit odd. Not really natural, too steep and high for my taste.

Is this intentional (maybe for better FPS ?) or are they still WIP ?

Well the hills are intentional but not so rounded and tall, but it’s too late to change it now, you see I imported this island from OFP and made the height map with Wilbur (my first ever height map) so it came out a bit strange, on my next island I’ll make it more realistic.

I’m sure the strange hills won’t be so bad tough.

Yes..its nice idea-but..

..if u compute the 'total' amount of street-name-poles on whole map isn't

a serious number of polygons??..or i m thinking too 'strict' with polygons?

Don’t worry I can make the poles and signs with 18 verticies, but its how AI drivers will behave around them what I’m worried about. Well we will see, I can always find another way, this is only a beta. :smile:

Ps. A little video showing the tunnel coming later today.

Edited by -Martin-

Awesome work! I don't know whether I want to liberate the city or go for a sight seeing tour :D

FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP..... :D

No, seriously - great work so far. Good luck with the rest of the island. Btw, are you planning to make some old minefields ala Yugoslavia?

EDIT: oh and in my opinion, you should take those leaves off...

Here is the video that I promised to upload yesterday, I had some trouble yesterday with the quality of the uploaded video but now it seems reasonable so I apologise for the slight delay:

This is a quick video showing off some of the features on Taviana island for ArmA 2, including the 750 meter tunnel running underneath the capital city, the airport at night and during the day, the landing of an Antonov 225 to demonstrate that there is plenty of space for all types of aircraft and a demonstration of how AI drives around the city in a civilian car.

Enjoy and please leave your thoughts!

Kf5SULIy3DI

EDIT:

Btw, are you planning to make some old minefields ala Yugoslavia?

Hmm I better leave that for the mission makers to do.

Edited by -Martin-

Nice video !

This radio tower that close to the airfield looks a bit odd (and dangerous)...:D

I would also like to see a video or screenshots of the more rural areas.

I'm quite impressed with the way the AI handles driving, the few niggles are nothing compared to how bad it can get on other maps. Well done, really looking forward to this one!

Hey Martin! Have you seen the new MBG building pack #3? It adds a lot of enterable apartment style buildings(Like the ones you have lined up on the streets of Tavania. and a few other things you may be interested for your map. I think they'd fit right in but it's definitely for you to decide!:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14828

Have you thought about making any sort of underground "station" type area in the tunnel where workers can be that has a small room in the middle and connects the two halves of the tunnel together?

In your video I noticed that there are no alleyways between any of the buildings on the main roads in the Capital. Is that intentional?

Also, I noticed that with all the apartment buildings you have in the Capital, you don't have anywhere to park! Where do all the people park? :p

I can't wait for this map. It looks amazing!

Edited by MacScottie

Also, I noticed that with all the apartment buildings you have in the Capital, you don't have anywhere to park! Where do all the people park? :p

A few pages back, Martin showed us a multi-story parkinglot. I gues that's where they park 'em. Plus a walk now and then is healthy, is it not? ;)

Hey Martin! Have you seen the new MBG building pack #3? It adds a lot of enterable apartment style buildings(Like the ones you have lined up on the streets of Tavania. and a few other things you may be interested for your map. I think they'd fit right in but it's definitely for you to decide!:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14828

Yeah, great buildings pack, stuff like this is really needed in ArmA, I find the buildings too new and Western for Taviana tough but there is one building, the pub that really looks nice and would fit perfectly:

9h1yl88b992j8n69cxg_thumb.jpg

I'm goanna contact Mondkalb for permission to use it as stand alone on Taviana and to change the sign on it.

Have you thought about making any sort of underground "station" type area in the tunnel where workers can be that has a small room in the middle and connects the two halves of the tunnel together?

There is a underground train station, no staff room yet, but I have to admit that I did think about it but was too lazy to implement it, but I will do it just for you if I have time since I still have some work to do on that tunnel.

In your video I noticed that there are no alleyways between any of the buildings on the main roads in the Capital. Is that intentional?

There are alleyways but not a lot of them in the area that I flew above in the video because some of the land above the tunnel is fake and there is no grass on it so I don't really want AI and players to wonder on to it unless they fall on it with a parachute otherwise in other parts of the city there are alleyways, but I will have to make some more so players can get out if they land there with a parachute.

Also, I noticed that with all the apartment buildings you have in the Capital, you don't have anywhere to park! Where do all the people park?

They park beside their blocks, look at all that parking space, but as with all cities the people who live in the old houses (in the centre of the city) built before cars were very popular, they have to park on the streets. There is also a multi story car park as Thani '82 said that was built in the 60's to relive the streets a lot.

yjsvvybs8yh4uq96l5r1_thumb.jpg

People who live in villages and small towns have garages or park beside their house, you'll see when I release the island.

Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated and I hope I will be able to implement them :smile:

Edited by -Martin-

Every once in a while a project comes along such as this which promises not only a great amount of (customized) immersion but also plain fun which made the original OFP enticing. I know once this is released, I will spend countless hours exploring the island with hundreds of mission ideas popping into mind throughout.

Great to see such determination, I mean working tunnels!?

wow Martin, simply wow. Amazing work!

I'm goanna contact Mondkalb for permission to use it as stand alone on Taviana and to change the sign on it.

Well I didn't get permission from Mondkalb to use the pub so I'll cotinue with the original plan and use the old OFP BIS pub.

is there like a main highway that goes around most of the main island?

There isn't a main highway but there will be a long highway connecting 3 big cities (capital and 2 in the North) which I haven't made yet and normal roads that go around most parts of the island, although you gave me an idea... I can make 2 lane roads in places where it’s suitable, driving on the one lane roads in ArmA 2 can get annoying. :crazy:

Every once in a while a project comes along such as this which promises not only a great amount of (customized) immersion but also plain fun which made the original OFP enticing. I know once this is released, I will spend countless hours exploring the island with hundreds of mission ideas popping into mind throughout.

Great to see such determination, I mean working tunnels!?

Thanks :smile: I had the tunnels even in OFP where they behaved much better and AI could drive trough them better then in ArmA, but the good news is that it doesn’t stop here, when ArmA 3 comes out Taviana will be easy to port within a few days.

wow Martin, simply wow. Amazing work!
Thanks good.gif Edited by -Martin-

"Thanks :smile: I had the tunnels even in OFP where they behaved much better and AI could drive trough them better then in ArmA, but the good news is that it doesn’t stop here, when ArmA 3 comes out Taviana will be easy to port within a few days."

That is excellent news. I was wondering about the possibility of transfering Arma 2 stuff to Arma 3. There is so much great stuff out there for Arma 2, If it is easy to convert it to Arma 3 than than I am even more excited for it than before. Your island looks amazing Martin, cant wait to play it in both Arma 2 and Arma 3.

They park beside their blocks, look at all that parking space,

Will you perhaps be making some guarded parking spaces? you know -> a fence / a boom barrier / a small guardpost. That's how most of the parkings look like (well, at least here) and that's what I associate with such urban / block landscape.

Just a suggestion ;)