Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

Taviana Island for ArmA 2!

Wow, I just found something as awesome as NodUnits AH64! :p

From the looks of some screens, this is very nice.

-Martin-: how did you handle the LODs to get the max out of the framerates? Must been a helluva work...

Actually the buildings only have 2 - 3 LODS at max, most of the far LODS are just plain textured boxes :biggrin:

You see the more LODS you have the worst performance gets, because as you move around the computer has to keep loading hundreds of LODS, then your game starts to freeze and lag. But if you only have 1 detailed LOD and 1 or 2 very low detailed LODs your computer loads them all quickly and then its free to focus on the rest of the game.

For all you unbelievers:

In Chernogorsk I get freezes every couple of seconds and lag about 25fps on a 4 core CPU.

On Taviana, in a city 5 times bigger than Chernogorsk I get 50fps and almost no freezes.

btw, What is this language on the blackboard?

Its “Tavianian†(Tavijanski Jazik), a new Slavic language that I invented myself :cool: by mixing Czech, Polish, Russian and Yugoslav (Yeah there is no langauge called Yugoslav, but you get the idea).

The soldiers you made, what kind of faction will they be? East, west, independent? As it looks like now I think they are East but I can have wrong.

The soldiers you made, what kind of faction will they be? East, west, independent? As it looks like now I think they are East but I can have wrong.

East of course, but I might also make them in the independent side too so mission makers wouldn't be locked down only to East. :smile:

Edited by -Martin-

Hi i'm the head Developer from City Life RPG and was wondering if you needed your island testing in a working MP environment. We would be happy to give feed back and iron out bugs and help you improve your work with some good old user feedback.

Anyway if your interested drop me a line.

Hi i'm the head Developer from City Life RPG and was wondering if you needed your island testing in a working MP environment. We would be happy to give feed back and iron out bugs and help you improve your work with some good old user feedback.

Anyway if your interested drop me a line.

Thanks for your offer, I really appreciate it and I won't miss this excellent opportunity.

I will PM you later tonight when I get home. good.gif

EDIT:

Just read your blog. I hope your workstations aren't that tidy in reality because if they are that is just plain weird!!!

Nah, only for photos :biggrin: If I had a clean table like that I wouldn't be able to find anything. o.O

Edited by -Martin-

Ha ha that is cute and precious, I love it. You are right in that there isn't enough 'civilian' things in the game especially schools. Always had a soft spot for more developed city area's that cover many aspects of what you'd expect to see in a place that many people live. Definately keeping an eye on this. I really like the big board showing the various ethnicities and their greetings. (shocked I missed this in OFP, also you people have some biiig blocks over there)

In OA some buildings didn't suffer from HDR and stayed at the same darkness levels, will your explorable structures by chance have this if it is possible? (Haven't a clue how it's done..)

Edited by NodUnit

Ingenious, the way you've implemented the school into the game looks incredible.. and authentic. Very good job so far!

I've been looking forward to this Island. Looks like a jewel already and you continue to amaze me with new teaser pics and custom buildings. And about those buildings: Can the AI walk inside those and are there these predefined positions for AI like in the BIS buildings?

Anyway, keep it up, I'm loving your work!

I really like the big board showing the various ethnicities and their greetings.

I made that poster myself, we had one just like it in my nursery and I'm pretty sure it’s still there, but I'm too big to go there and check now :sad:

In OA some buildings didn't suffer from HDR and stayed at the same darkness levels, will your explorable structures by chance have this if it is possible? (Haven't a clue how it's done..)

Hmm I didn't notice this in OA, probably because I just played the campaign and nothing else. Could you make some screenies please?

But anyway I think that this HDR effect might have something to do with the shadow LOD of the models or the engine itself.

Can the AI walk inside those and are there these predefined positions for AI like in the BIS buildings?

Anyway, keep it up, I'm loving your work!

I haven’t made the paths LOD for any building yet, I'm planning to do this last because I haven't looked at it in enough detail yet. I would appreciate it if you could give me a link to some tutorial which would help me with this tough. :o

I haven’t made the paths LOD for any building yet, I'm planning to do this last because I haven't looked at it in enough detail yet. I would appreciate it if you could give me a link to some tutorial which would help me with this tough. :o

I'm sorry but I don't know much about addon making. I'm just a mission editor myself. That's why I was asking this because AI being able to walk in the buildings would obviously make use of these nice buildings in their full potential. But I hope you can find some tutorials, some guys who knows about them or figure things out yourself! It shouldn't be too hard to add the paths I reckon, it's only about the lack of documentation as usual. :confused:

Apart from some crazy proportion issues (how is that teacher supposed to write at the top of the chalkboard?) it's look superb!

Abs

(how is that teacher supposed to write at the top of the chalkboard?)

Seems to be somehow possible :P

hugechalkboard.jpg

:p

(or like this)

I'm sorry but I don't know much about addon making. I'm just a mission editor myself. That's why I was asking this because AI being able to walk in the buildings would obviously make use of these nice buildings in their full potential. But I hope you can find some tutorials, some guys who knows about them or figure things out yourself! It shouldn't be too hard to add the paths I reckon, it's only about the lack of documentation as usual. :confused:

Well I'll have a sniff around, look in some BIS models and hopefully I will be able to figure it out and write a short manual about it too.

Apart from some crazy proportion issues (how is that teacher supposed to write at the top of the chalkboard?) it's look superb!

Abs

In Soviet Union blackboards write on themselves :tongue: Nah I'm just kidding, I'll make the blackboards a bit smaller when I get to modelling again, right now I'm re-placing hundreds of trees to improve performance of the island.

As for the big blocks, it’s no proportion issue, in my nursery we seriously had blocks that big, or maybe it just seemed like that to me back then, but anyway... at least the room doesn't seem empty with them.

Hahaha rofl2.gif

P.s. More screenies comming in the next few days.

So hello again, I'm back with more screenshots:

Over the course of my updates on this island I've shown you urban areas, country side, building interiors so I thought in this update I would take you guys to the water front.

(Most of these screenshots are still W.I.P work and are not finished, I will post proper screenshots on the weekend because now I'm very busy with college work so I haven't made as much progress as I intended to, but hopefully on the weekend I will pass the 75% completed mile stone)

Anyway...

f3il9lqw3smkgyvr494_thumb.jpg

c6jy2wpej58cx58w1i38_thumb.jpg

This is "Bar Kotva" - "Bar Anchor" which is on lake Umag (on Taviana). The building is based on this building sitting on one of the many beautiful lakes in Slovenija.

uhshrpotb3qtj7et98j_thumb.jpg

A few romantic evening screenshots of the bar, (I'm goanna add lights to it as well).

ocwal07f6hhcl1q1dnnj_thumb.jpg

jxtybu21g9ef9yv18i_thumb.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

And a couple of screenies from possibly the first ever multi story garage in ArmA 2.

z4zt6v78jghdmlwbkbco_thumb.jpg

s097n7uwx1u9oyt63tq_thumb.jpg

iuhzi9n6vsabbesrhnbz_thumb.jpg

21vzygkxrfb7ncase1lp_thumb.jpg

fnrjk6ot7uvmej6whh_thumb.jpg

As always I'm looking forward to your thoughts and feedback!

Edited by -Martin-

God damn! That's brilliant, so much scope for coolness here man. Keep it up!

Wow.....that is all I can think of... Wow

You want feedback?

Sorry, but no feedback can sum up the awesomeness of what was just posted...

OMG

There's so much WIN in this thread that it hurts!!!!

And a couple of screenies from possibly the first ever multi story garage in ArmA 2.

Just one word: Awesome!

-Martin-: mmmmm, very nice objects! How many hours do you put into making all of the new objects? :)