Sign in to follow this  
shuko

SHK_insurgentMortar

I made/used this in one of my missions and since I've had multiple people asking for it. Here it is.

I wanted to make a mission with insurgents mortaring a base, but I wanted it to be more challenging and realistic than the fancy satellite map targeting system you get from the Artillery module (I doubt the takibans have such things ;)) or a silly map click system.

This little script waits for the player to get in to a mortar (vehicle type defined as parameter) and then just displays the current azimuth and elevation. This makes map reading and having forward observers more important.

shk_insurgentmortar.jpg

SHK_insurgentMortar.sqf

Example mission

j2PrXskzXZk

You probably want to make your own ballistics tables to help the players. Here are mine, for the Podnos:

table.jpg

table2.jpg

Uhm... Couldnt you simply include a rough range distance in the azimuth/elevation counter? Like so:

Azimuth: 60.3

Elevation: 49.1

Approx. Range: 3052

In my case it snaps to every 72m (ie 49), but of course it could easily snap to every 144m like in your second table too (snapping every 360m would be a little too much I think).

This would still avoid satellite tracking/map clicking and keep an element of uncertainty/calulation, while being far more accessible to your average gamer.

Is there a way of adding this to a default mortar weapon in the config, that way when ever it is chosen in the editor it will always use your script??

Is there a way of adding this to a default mortar weapon in the config, that way when ever it is chosen in the editor it will always use your script??

I'm sure it's possible to make it so that it's automatically used for all podnos/m252 variants.

As I said, this was just made for one specific missions. People are free to modify it. :)

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

while being far more accessible to your average gamer.

I guess it could be added as an option pretty easily.

Then again, I'm sure the "average gamer" just wants the satellite targeting. :P

Then again, I'm sure the "average gamer" just wants the satellite targeting. :P

Well maybe I should say slightly more average ;)

Even with a 144m accuracy elevation counter, its still gonna be ass-hard to aim the thing in a generic situation.

Does this work without issues in MP?

I haven't had any problems with it. Please, do report if you encounter any.

This is nice SHK but it still gives me the Arty computer option?, any way to disable the computer option?

Cheers

Edit, Solution:

enableEngineArtillery false;

Edited by Stugwi
edit

Uhm... Couldnt you simply include a rough range distance in the azimuth/elevation counter? Like so:

Azimuth: 60.3

Elevation: 49.1

Approx. Range: 3052

estdist.jpg

Updated the .sqf, but not example.

Having a problem with this.

If you would use the artillery computer, you would have the option between close, medium and far range. However I want to use the script it as it was originally intended,...without it. So when I started creating my own rangetables (I don't use the estimated distance either), I realised I only have the "close range" option. From 100m (ele 85) to 500m (ele 50). I guess this is the default range when entering a podnos (simulating the charge).

Is there a way to make it possible to switch between ranges (charges) without enabling the artillery computer?

At least with ACE using the T-E system you can press "F" to switch between Close, Med and Far.

Thought so, but never use the arty computer and was already in game and couldn't check. ;)

Hi Shuko,

Is it possible to have the map coordinates up once the mortar lands, so they know how much to change there firing?

Not a marker but the coordinates i.e 0125,0643

Also distance seems to be Off , but running this in Lingor , could thatbe the issue ?

I made some distance charts of my own on the flattest surface I could find. Keeping the elevation steady, the mortar is pretty precise.

What you need to consider at larger ranges, is the difference in height between the firing position and target. Distance can vary quite a bit depending on whether you're higher or lower relative to the targetarea.

Charts would be good, but have tested and the Distance seems to not be working , tested with the US Mortar and the shortest range should be approx 440m but the distance on screen is like 2K ???

Is it set to use the distance on podnos ? Which may differ from the us Mortar ?

Anyhow a grid position after it has been shot would be good so they know where it lands and how much approx to adjust, still not easy but it will help, as we tried in a mission and it was hard ass to get a hit on target ! i.e with the elevation on mountains etc.. like you said !

Edited by psvialli