Sign in to follow this  
bascule42

Cracking Review of Operation Arrowhead...er..I think.

Found this 5***** review of OA by one Dave-O on Amazons uk site...thought I'd share.

==================

Base on the Operation Fleshpot series of games, ARMA 2 is the latest game since EA Sports took over the title and is showing why it is ahead of the smaller cottage software factories. Unlike the DCS series which boasts comparable action to reality, Arma 2 Arrowhead is largely an arcade type shooter from a third person perspective.

Based in Takistan (Pakistan) and Endia (India) Arrowhead is the codename for the Takistan push into Endia. The box and list of units available (shown in the release notes) show that you can play both sides or even the Americans who find themselves in yet another struggle for global freedom via military force.

However, what is unique about this game is if you pick a European Army, there are large areas of the game where battles can be won by diplomacy and complaining to the UN without the need for violence, instead, you can drive around in your polished uniform throwing sweets at children and winning hearts and minds. This is an obvious attempt by the UN to show that you dont always need to shoot to win the battle and there are some epic levels where you must dig toilets for the villiagers, build bridges, schools and see the world, not exactly what you would join the Army for? Well apparently some armies never fire a shot in Anger and so EA modelled it here.

Takistan is modelled beautifully, it is based on the IA Drang valley in Pakistan and is as authentic as it gets, Endia has some made up areas but the city of Lahore, extensively modelled in the Indian city of the same name feels like you are in the action.

Of course, there are the sceptics whom say that this is EA's way of making you pay for all the patches needed to bring the original Arma upto date however, where is Dragon Rising now Bohemia?? Pffft. Its like a polished gem, you can ride in the Pakistani Russian Built Vehicle or the Indian Russian Built Vehicles and all the soldiers look the same which can get confusing, it is also difficult playing the Endians as they still use WW2 rifles which struggle against the Kashlashnicov or KashLash as it is known to those in the business.

Some quirks of nature in the terrain where whole armies can fall through a crack in the rendering, underneath the beautiful exteria is a strange tron world and trying to get your armies to march out is hard and frustrating.

I think that the game is also slightly biased as the Americans have all the best weapons and armour and everything but still cant win the battles outright, it usually takes an unequal amount of armour, artillery and airpower to distroy 1 Endian platoon, it feels like an overeraction or just showing off, look what Ive got, kabloom!

All in all i will buy this game, i feel intimidated by the cover picture and left out by not keeping up with the Kardashians, I missed out on Lock On Flaming Cliffs and now find I cannot catch up, I also missed some of the Tom Clancy epics and knew that when he released Hawx I couldnt catch up, so after loving OFP and Arma there is no way i will miss out on Arma 2.

If you want a real war action in the face dirt and grime, mixing it with the grunts in Nam style down and dirty fighting then stick with your battlefields and Call of Duty, but if you want simulation and arcade type guns blazing action, maybe this one is for you?

===============================

In partic...if you pick a European Army, there are large areas of the game where battles can be won by diplomacy and complaining to the UN without the need for violence, instead, you can drive around in your polished uniform throwing sweets at children and winning hearts and minds.

I like him...

Whatever that guy was smoking I'd like to have some of that stuff. :)

I think I would like some as well. :eek:

This is the on crack review. :391:

...i feel intimidated by the cover picture and left out by not keeping up with the Kardashians...

Pure awesomeness, he deserves a medal! :shine:

I think if anyone else smoked it they'd die on the spot. :eek:

Operation Fleshpot. Fuck yeah.

Ha ha. Check out his review of 'the game who's name cannot be named' without gratuitous Picards.

FPDR (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

This game takes place on a small, fictional island located off the north coast of Japan called Skira during the present day. This island is based exactly on the greek island of Sardinia and whereas other games have built fictional islands with beatufil valleys, trees, reservoirs etc. the Island of Sardinia is a desert wasteland still recovering from the Second World War where it was occupied by Japan, then Canada and USA.

In the game, the island is a contested territory between Russia and China and becomes the center of an armed conflict when a large untapped oil and gas reserve is discovered there and everyone wants some sweet texas tea. The game begins as the player (Andy McNab) arrives as part of the United States Marine Corps and tasked with capturing the island on behalf of the Russians from the Chinese military.

This kind of conflict, is known as Subcontract Warfare and is not unknown for Russia to not want to waste its time on a relatively small and impoverished third world country like China which stand little chance at the hands of the mighty red army so they 'Subcontract' the chance of heroism to the mighty US Marines who are constantly looking to fight battles where they have no reason so they can high 5 and shout Hoohar at each other.

Dragon rising is obviously because the Americans expect a 2 day war, the Chinese Rise up against the Might of the USMC and the US chase the dragon across Skira and back into China where you can continue the conflict in Operation Flashpoint WW3 - a mod I have thought about telling Codemasters to release.

Codemasters picked the USMC because they have better weapons, vehicles, uniforms, nicknames and language than the Russians but also because the Codemasters sales for wannabe USM in the US will be bolsetered, there are mods planned to add UK forces, Canadian, Australian and Welsh but to keep the realism of a war environment, the French troops wont be there. This point is also a term and condition of the Russion subcontract to the USMC that they cannot sub-sub contract and as the French forces are effectively mercenaries under the banner of the Foreign Legion this is illegal.

Future updates I have in my mind to tell Codemasters via the forum is the inclusion of the JSF and the candian built Moose Goose which is a helicopter come plane, the Moose Goose features in ARMA2 and it has 8 engines, can float like a boat, hower like a helo and fly like a plane.

The graphics are awesome with a draw distance of over 35KM and if you want to cross Skira on foot it will take you 22 hours so they have included some public transport, sump holes and teleports.

The world is full interactive with 20 destructible houses, the remaining houses based on Sardinia already look demolished and like animal shelter and the peasants who look like French farmers with berrets and blue and white striped jumpers but speak in a cobbled eastern accent, they are know as Skiranonians and they are known to shoot at passing trucks they mistake for English lorries driving supplies to Calais. You better not shoot a civilian on Captain Cavemans watch though or he will have you courtmarshalled faster than a Rigged American Election dissapears off page 1 of the New York Times.

The gameplay is much the same as operation Flashpoint, you build up your skills to become a squad leader then try to order 12 halfwits around the country with 7 commands, stop, go, come here, hide, shoot, run, salute, get in, get out, find cover, stand up, relax, high five, hooohar. It can be quite challenging to get your sniper to climb up the clocktower with go, get in clocktower, hide, find cover, shoot, hoohar.

There are over 7 weapons to choose from, M4, M16, M60, M55, M1, MI-5 and the forever jamming M25 Circular.

When this game is released it will be polished as only Codemasters can polish, it comes with an island map (built into the game) and a .pdf version of the 350 page manual and a voucher for 10% off a 50% overpriced Track IR.

This will be the biggest selling game of all October and continue to receive bug updates via Xbox live for the forseeable future.

There is also a plan to integrate this game with a spin off series called Carrier Commander but I havnt told anyone that yet.

"There is also a plan to integrate this game with a spin off series called Carrier Commander but I havnt told anyone that yet". :yay:

LMAO!! I really like this guy. :pc:

In partic...if you pick a European Army, there are large areas of the game where battles can be won by diplomacy and complaining to the UN without the need for violence, instead, you can drive around in your polished uniform throwing sweets at children and winning hearts and minds.

Whos the idiot? the guy who wrote this, or the one who goes a tries this xause he is bored? :D

Whos the idiot? the guy who wrote this, or the one who goes a tries this xause he is bored? :D

Do you mean like Ben Kenobi saying: "Who's the fool, the fool or the fool who follows him", sort of thing? :p

Wow! Endian forces? Must be an Easter-egg. Or new DLC? Also, nice to know that the Ia Drang valley valley is not actually in Vietnam, but in Pakistan. Boy, I must have sounded like such a fool all these years.

what i find suprisingly though, is the authors need to call bis for ea....

like :

EA modelled it here
is the latest game since EA Sports took over the title

and :

EA's way of making you pay for all the patches needed to bring the original Arma

and not to mention :

where is Dragon Rising now Bohemia?? Pffft

It's quite funny when ppl are making sutch a donkey of themself, isn't it? :p

ARMA 2 is the latest game since EA Sports took over the title

HUH?!! Am I missing something here according to what hes saying here EA (Electronic Arts) makers of call of Duty, took over Arma 2?

That makes no sense, I think this guy has his facts confused, and like Wolle said hes smoking something.

so EA modelled it here.

again this guy thinks EA made OA.

Of course, there are the sceptics whom say that this is EA's way of making you pay

for all the patches needed to bring the original Arma upto date however, where is Dragon Rising now Bohemia?? Pffft.

Holy bullshit batman now I seen it all, this guy dont know that BIS made OA as well as Arma and Arma 2,

lol for god sakes, lol this guy is seriously out to lunch, Dragon Rising was made by FPDR cough CM.

Ya Pfft. get your facts straight buddy.

Arma 2 Arrowhead is largely an arcade type shooter from a third person perspective.

Arcade shooter?!!! WTF is call of duty then a simulater

so after loving OFP and Arma there is no way i will miss out on Arma 2.

I hope hes in BIS forums here and reads our thread here, so we can tell him how much

of a big jerry he his, we should ask him where did you go for lunch when you wrote this.:D

Edited by Gnter Severloh

@last 2 posts...

are you guys really taking it as a serious review?....

Either that, or they're fighting sarcasm with even more sarcasm ...

... At least I hope they are :butbut:

not really but you got to wonder how a reviewer can say stupid shit like he did,

in a way its rather entertaining, but rediculous none the less.

I seriously cannot believe what I read though, I had to read it a couple of

times to just grasp what he actually said, he had me kind of lost

there at first, but im not taking it seriously.

Massive, massive sense of humour failure taking place on these boards...

Anyway, this made me laugh out loud, pure genius. Man I need to get to bed.

There are over 7 weapons to choose from, M4, M16, M60, M55, M1, MI-5 and the forever jamming M25 Circular.

Love it. :D

Massive, massive sense of humour failure taking place on these boards...

Swoosh!, straight over their heads, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over. :p