Sign in to follow this  
JDog

USS Nimitz - WIP

[...]

Jets included?[...]

Definitely there will nothing be out when first beta will happen. *seeds rumors*

Btw, JDog, you got a pm.

Cheers, Jester

@Penfolde, no autopilot. it kinda defeats the purpose. however if you're asking about enabling the AI to land on it... not that either. i might have a method but it'll involve some intermediate/advanced scripting on the mission editor's part, no easy way really, assuming i can figure it out at all.

@Nikiforos, i want to see that. someone needs to record you in front of your computer monitor while blindfolded. I'll put a plaque on the carrier with your name on it haha.

Just finished the shadow LODs today. Still have a list of stuff to wrap up. Now that I'm into it again I'll probably try to get some more done before first release so there's more in the initial package. I thought of making a crane-like vehicle to get plane wrecks off the deck.

Still need to decorate the hangar bay, I think I'll probably just include extra "props" that aren't part of the carrier model itself. Flight training markers, Cargo crates, maybe a few different types of equipment, etc, that can be placed by mission editors. Maybe just include a template as well. Also been procrastinating a few exterior details (antenna around the edge of the deck, life rafts, safety netting, IFLOLS model) just cuz it'll be quick, but I'll get around to it.

Im gunna be brutally honest, i saw JDog reply to this thread and didnt really care to check anything in between...was hoping for a release date or something...damn:(

so forgive me if these have been asked already, how will the carrier be spawnable? by script or addon? also, will the elevators on the side be operational or they just for decoration?

other than that keep up the absolutely drool-inducing excellent work! its modders like you who ruin my family life by feeding my addiction to this game, a small sacrifice for the greater good of my entertainment! :D

The elevators are fully functional, and are actually really cool. The carrier is a static map editor object.

awesome, so how would i go about placing this??

forgive me because i have no clue what "static map editor object" means.

just when i thought i was getting good at editing and stuff :(

I'd assume we can still place it in the editor, or at least through a mission template. Just means it can't move in game.

I suppose I should update the first post with just a compilation of all the info/FAQs of this addon heh, I'll do that sometime soon. To answer the most recent question:

arma22011-02-1621-09-00-62.jpg?t=1297919996

Don't mind the "Player" control lol. You couldn't actually do anything if you tried. And Daniel's right, it pretty much stays where its placed in the Editor.

Driving arround a carrier would be fun... the good old times from BF1942 :P JK

But landings on carriers which are on the moove would be very intersting, to bad the engine doesnt realy support it :(.

I had an idea about the Arrestor Hook Breaking... Would be nice if it would be possible and you would have to use a the barricade to get the bird back onto the deck. :D

Would it be possible to define some parking spaces as Memory Points for easy object placement? Maybe would make the placing a little bit easier?

Keep up the good work. Thanks :)

Best regards

Driving arround a carrier would be fun... the good old times from BF1942 :P JK

But landings on carriers which are on the moove would be very intersting, to bad the engine doesnt realy support it :(.

I had an idea about the Arrestor Hook Breaking... Would be nice if it would be possible and you would have to use a the barricade to get the bird back onto the deck. :D

Would it be possible to define some parking spaces as Memory Points for easy object placement? Maybe would make the placing a little bit easier?

Keep up the good work. Thanks :)

Best regards

Hi swissMAG,

That would be fantastic if it was possible to stop the aircraft like that, but I'm thinking that if it's an object (The Barricade) then wouldn't the aircraft just explode once it made contact with it? Although it might be possible with a lot of scripting, I'm not sure.

Regards

Moose

iirc jdog told me he did just that, with remembered locations that you can use setpos for on the carrier. Static object basically means it won't move, like the Fregata or Destroyer under the Empty section. Maybe attachTo would work with moving it. Idk if that would screw everything up with landing on it, maybe we should try doing that :P

Hi swissMAG,

That would be fantastic if it was possible to stop the aircraft like that, but I'm thinking that if it's an object (The Barricade) then wouldn't the aircraft just explode once it made contact with it? Although it might be possible with a lot of scripting, I'm not sure.

Regards

Moose

Of course you shoudlnt give the barricade a GeoLOD ;-). Make it like a camonet and hide it, when the jet hits the barricade. You just have to look out for the Mounts right and left and try not to fly into them :D.

Well, if the Carrer would be moved, everything would have to be attachtto the carrier, otherwise everything will start jump arround and probably explode... :p

hey just as a suggestion, and again only a suggestion, and i'm sure this will be very hard and time consuming but maby for the inside you could possibly model out all or most of the rooms(or atleast start with the actual layout of the inside..like troop compartments/housing/briefing rooms/and hopefully mess hall) and then just have only a few of them rooms open(modeled out) and the rest just a closed door!

now since that may not be understandable to others as this is my fantisy lol, so heres a example! Say your walking down a hallway and you turn into another hallway and on each side thiers 5 doors(meaning thier should be 5 rooms) but only 2 of the doors can be opened(the other 3 doors permently closed..and not actually modeled/cut out of the model itself(the ship model). just the door itself modeled..meaing the room behind the door isnt there, but the "Closed Door" gives you the illusion thiers actually a room behind the "Closed Door"!

now i know nothing what soever about carriers lol specially the inside like the housing..offices...messhall...ext. or even how its all layed out(id figures its just a bunch of hallways in sections with rooms lol)! anyways if you make it like i suggested and with your talented skills..you could probly sculpt the entire inside out..and it might not take tall that time or has too much poly's(?)! i dont know sorry its just one of them things where from sitting here board and in a dream land, and i kinda had a vision of who this would playout(of course as in RL it wont..these things never do lmao)!

well goodluck and whatever approach you take in making(or not making) this out, then no matter cause the quility and and usefulness of this addon already exceeds the max of allowed alsome'ness in arma2 addons lol!

EDIT: this vid shows somegood views of inside a carrier, and thankfully for you, in most rooms its pretty bare, so you dont need to model too much!

goodday,

Dave

Edited by soldier2390

Of course you shoudlnt give the barricade a GeoLOD ;-). Make it like a camonet and hide it, when the jet hits the barricade. You just have to look out for the Mounts right and left and try not to fly into them :D.

Just for the "lols" :D : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFoRzZuq4zY It would be good if a new object was created for that, but I'm hopeless with addons and scripts.

..Snip..

That would be amazing if that was included with the carrier, it would require a lot of work though. Also the AI need to be able to walk around.

-MM

hmmm...it should be possible to make a working barricade. The net without geo LOD to avoid damage on the plane, a script catching the nearest plane approaching the barricade, catch the moment it is near the net position, apply a transitional anim to the center of the net (where ideally the jet is) so it stretches with the plane, the script slowing down and stoping the plane when net stretch reached the max.....should be doable.

Hopefully I respond to everything since my last post here:

1) I was going to include memory points for easy placement/parking spaces, but the editor icon is actually very accurate and you shouldn't have much trouble at all placing jets where you want them to be. I mean a few places exist that are used in scripts that you'll be able to use (catapults and elevators mostly), but I won't add any more. Once its released you guys are free to make/share "parked aircraft templates" lol.

2) Not making any more of an interior than the little bit that's already in there. If I was doing this as some big undertaking just as a hobby then sure I'd try to find blueprints (yea right lol) and model everything. But its for a game and I have poly-count considerations, and more importantly, utility considerations. Biggest thing I have against making interior corridors and stuff is that it might be used for one or two "pirate attack" missions lol (which is quite unrealistic a concept I must admit). The only reason I even made a couple rooms to go into both serve a purpose, one is for mission briefings and the other will act as an armory for small arms (for infantry missions of course).

3) Regarding a crash barricade... yes I'd been thinking of this and how I'd go about it for a while. This is one reason I said that "for now"... aircraft's simulated hooks wont break but rather the cables will. I can't let planes come in, fail at landing, and then give them no chance at all of doing it ever again. It's basically as Myke said, the only issue being that (as far as I know) I can't use setPos on named selections of a model so no easy way of keeping the net in front of the plane, just gonna take some math/scripting work to get them to line up. Definitely not a first-release thing, which is why I hadn't mentioned it yet.

Why would you need scripting to make it line up with the aircraft? The net should stay in a fixed position and if the pilot misses it its his own fault. At that point he's probably fucked anyways because either the enemy followed them, their aircraft is too damaged for another try, or their about to run out of fuel. :D

Not to "line up" per se with the aircraft. But the thing stretches quite a ways I think as it absorbs the forward momentum of the aircraft. The plane doesn't just stop suddenly when its nose touches the net. I'd rather have something that at least looks SOMEWHAT like its being caught by the plane, rather than having the plane just pass through it magically.

Ah ok. Myke said it might be possible to give the net an animation, if so keeping the stretched part in front of the nose wouldn't be much of an issue, as long as it stretches in the middle of the net it should look realistic, as the pilot should be smart enough to line it up right.

It's not about stretching the middle part of it out in the same direction as the aircraft (which could also look weird if the pilot didnt come in right) but moreso about stretching it out the same *distance* at the plane. Cuz once the animation is defined, it stays at that stretch distance. Depending on the speed of the plane when it hits, it could go farther than (and pass thru) or come up short (and not really hit) the net itself. Anyway... this is brainfood for later on post-release for an update, not right now.

The barricade is not completly a NET. Its more like two horicontal, parallel wires with some loose attached wires verticaly. When the Airplane hits this Barricade, those Vertical Wires will be caught by any object of the Airplane (like wingtips, tanks) and the Aircraft will take some damage. So the Aircraft should not be able to move arround on the carrier -> Thowing tractor.

About the animation of the barricade. No matter how complicated the animation is, it will look wierd anyway.

I would go for the lot easier way. When the airplane hits the barricade, just hide the net and after 30 seconds let the two mounts rotate back into the Deck. The Airplane will come to a stop after about 20-40m.

You dont animate the wires either, so no point for dooing that much work for a feature you probably only train, but allmost never use :)

Either way you choose, keep up the good work. Thanks

If only arma had rope physics....... A.I path following and friction... and movable I.L.S lol

1) whatever you wanna call a "net" lol, it behaves the same way. something hits it, it stretches, end of story. i'll call it a net if i want to haha.

2) Updated main post with all I could think of.

hi

i follow this wip thread for a long time, but now i register here only for this, to say

amazing work @jdog:notworthy:

my other request is,

all people here, and people´s dont listed here in the forum wait of a release from your nimitz,

people´s can create fantastic missions with your carrier,

i work at the time on a mp-mission with lingor island, with body from Domination, i tested 3 differents carriers ( uss khe sanh ) but i have problems with this, and now, i must build a base on the island :(

( example: after any hours, the flydeck have invisible holes, its to small, to put hardware on it and many other )

now my question, the nimits is wip, ok,

- the elevators are ready to work

- the start with catapult is ready to work

- the landing with cable is ready to work

can you release a "closedbeta" with your carrier, for people how interesst your project ?

this beta are only for tests and feedbacks, and to learn to build this carrier in a mission, anyone can put here own hardware, refillpoints and someone with here editor, or other programms.

find errors and something else,

dont misunderstand me, its your project, i mean its fantastic, and you can do this, what you want, its only a question ( appeal ) from me,

thx

Vulcano

www.scsclan.de

( sorry 4 my bad english, but i leave the school for 20 years :) )