Sign in to follow this  
JDog

USS Nimitz - WIP

Put a slight blue on the hull to match the island more closely today, hopefully ryguy can add some nice rust streaks onto it for us. With a little help from BDKS tonight I refined the arrestment script. Previously it was time-based, so if you came in too fast, it would just bring you to a stop over the edge of the deck (or too slow it'll stop you beside the island). Now perhaps its a bit more realistic as it will bring you to a stop at the same place on the deck every landing, regardless of speed.

Tomorrow I'll probably make it account for coming in too fast and breaking the "arrestor hook" maybe making that plane no longer able to land. Hope you guys don't think that's too harsh lol, i'll probaby make the "breaking speed" like 325kph or somethin. You're SUPPOSED to land on a carrier at 135knots/250kph.

Also question for anyone who wants to give their input... when trapping on the carrier, do you guys want it to say "WIRE CAUGHT!" for a few seconds as confirmation, or is the sound enough? On a successful landing it holds you still for a few seconds after slowing you, so you don't unnecessarily bolt off without enough speed to get back in the air.

My suggestion:

1. Pilot has to hit full afterburners on "impact" for the case of missing any cable.

2. The cable is slowing the aircraft to zero speed (even with full AB) and holding it or goes off the deck again

3. When the pilot raises the hook the cables decreasing ability is turned off (you better pull the throttle back to idle power :D)

4. Aircraft is "released" and again able to taxi

Jester, its pretty much as you say it is already, minus the arrestor hook part. No hook to control unless someone makes a plane model with that function. And unfortunately due to the physics in arma and how quickly some planes build acceleration, it isnt hard to get back off the deck.

Anyway, played around and had an AI bot do some landings so I could record these (not to say there's support for AI to land on it, there isnt unless you cheat like me).

Anyway, 2 normal landings and 2 where the cable snaps from the pilot coming in too fast (the snap sound at the end needs to be louder/refined though, still WIP):

dHydWb44E3c

OMG

Nicely done, Jdog, nicely done!!!

Looking good! I was screaming for the pilot and RIO to eject in the last two landing attempts. :D

Oh man you must be proud of yourself! That looks great.. Love that arrestor sound! Looks great man good job!

Absolutely amazing job!

Cannot wait to try it out when its done :)

Taking off via catapult > pop some shit up on the ground > land to rearm > more take-offs and poppin' shit up > landing to end the mission <3

I'm not sure if this is possible but you should have it where if the cable snaps it can kill people... If one of those breaks in real life you could be split in half by them.

Personally I would love to see something like that, that way not every idiot can do it without consequences, they would really need to practice their landings instead of just doing it and expecting the best.

Yes but it happens very rarely in real life. It's enough of an accomplishment just landing on the carrier, isn't it?

LOL, I know this is like step 1000 and JDog's only on say step 10, but it would be cool to have a dedicated server up, with the Nimitz setup and have a team entirely set to run the air ops for other players to join and do missions in an AO.

Sorry, just dreaming out loud. Keep up the awesome work JDog

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Wolf, yea that had crossed my mind too, briefly. It would be possible, and not to difficult, but it would partly just be more awkard than anything heh, and annoying. Since there's no way of really making the cables move/animate with the plane as it lands anyway it would kinda weird for ppl to just fall over dead to apparently nothing.

Lol, might get a audio file of a cable snapping and have a warning pop up for those within X meters of the deck of 'CABLE SNAP' then people die. Might not be realistic but then again, neither is dieing and respawning 30 seconds later :P -Shrugs- Something goofy.

But I wouldn't mind having a Domi set up with the thing as a sub-base for the air units (Would need to be duala or something) haha, give more varity.

I'd stay clear of arrestor cable deaths, would only serve as one more thing to piss people off, especially if there's no respawn. Looking awesome so far JDog, can't wait. :)

absolutly amaizing ! What is the Status of the Carrier ? Maybe a Release Date ?

Jets included ? :yay::bounce3:

thx for this

thx for this

The release date is 30 seconds from now....with a margin of error of about +/- 2 years.

Abs

thx for this

1) thanks

2) "Work-In-Progress"

3) Soon, probably within a week or two for first beta <- probably shouldn't say stuff like that, never works

4) Jets not included

5) You're welcome

Edited by JDog

Just seen your AC on armaholic, it looks great.

Just one question, dose it have autopilot landing ?

Penfolde

Just seen your AC on armaholic, it looks great.

Just one question, dose it have autopilot landing ?

Penfolde

I think he said, that its an editor placed object. iirc, the autopilot landing thingy has to be configured in visitor map editor or somthing. To answer your question: afaik, no. :cool:

I think he said, that its an editor placed object. iirc, the autopilot landing thingy has to be configured in visitor map editor or somthing. To answer your question: afaik, no. :cool:

to sum that up: where is the thrill to land on carrier with autopilot :D

i am looking forward to the landing on it...by hand ;)