Sign in to follow this  
JDog

USS Nimitz - WIP

Most likely it appears small because you have no references..I ran into the same thing with my apache, generally a large aircraft, even though it matched the blueprints it seemed samll..added the seats and some other parts to give size to the people inside and suddenly BAM it now looks quite sizeable.

If ever you are unsure I would recommend importing an addon of some sort and then sizing it to the proper dimensions. Additionally you can add a few beams and whatnot hanging from the top and climbing up along the walls, remember..horizontal lines make a room seem longer and wider, vertical make it seem taller ;)

About the fading and flickering, what about raising the alpha per LOD? The further you get out it gets raised a bit more from the body?

Its has two .50 cals at the front? Hah

Possibly for small, fast attack boats?

Great work!!!Do you plan to create tractors (like ammo carriers, towing trucks, etc)?and will it be possible for ai to land on the carrier?

Greetz Jaentzen

I think we can use the BIS equipment and personnel already,(USMC towing truck, althought it's true a crane would be nice) but I think more important is the release of the Nimitz itself;we'll sort the details afterwards.

I can help with any testing after January 1st 2011

Lol, like everyone else on this forum :rolleyes:

AI landing on it... probably not. Unless of course it's built into a mission via scripting in OA. Tractors... as said, the towing tractors can just be what's already in the game. Later on I do want to add some kind of weapons dolley though to transport ammo from the lower decks up to the planes on the flight deck, but that'll be an update.

Mandoble use to have a Landing Script that I used for the Nimitz in ARMA but I have never been able to make it work in ARMA 2.

It would be great if it did, as they use to land and taxi to position and getout.

Hey JDog, very nice work indeed on the carriers.

Thought you might like this info on a 1/72nd scale scratchbuilt model CVN.

It could help you with some detailing, maybe try and contact the builder via the forums for some extra input or sources.

***WARNING - YET MORE JAW DROPPING TIME***

http://www.carrierbuilders.net/gallery/20070318_USS_Enterprise_1-72/20070318_USS_Enterprise_1-72.htm

The whole site has many carrier/naval avaition projects that you and maybe others could use for sources.

http://www.carrierbuilders.net/

A vernia, calculator and a plastic model kit by the old monitor....tasty

Hope this helps, Keep up the good work.

EDIT: Tell me I'm not wrong here....If anyone was building that thing,they wouldn't have a couple of take off and landings like a kid, lol

Edited by Geordie

***WARNING - YET MORE JAW DROPPING TIME***

:omg: *collecting his jaw from somewhere in the basement* HOLY F*CK!

But good reference material, never seen a model that was so close to the original...

Bookmark'd :D

I've got a feeling that that model is in the Smithsonian now - I was there a few weeks ago and there was a USS Enterprise model exactly like it. Very impressive.

Any news on the Nimitz JDog? Dare we hope for a Chrimbo release? :D

I've got a feeling that that model is in the Smithsonian now - I was there a few weeks ago and there was a USS Enterprise model exactly like it. Very impressive.

Any news on the Nimitz JDog? Dare we hope for a Chrimbo release? :D

IIRC this guy has something in a museum, I had a copy of FineScale Modeller years ago that had it in as a feature and mentioned a museum, lucky guy to have seen it up close.

He got a tour of the ship for reference material, Hence why JDog should try and contact him...you never know he might share some of it ;-)

Any new eye candy to share JDog?

Unfortunately not really. It isnt "dead"... school's just been boiling down (this is the last week, finals due this coming monday & tuesday). Been working on totally redoing a trailer and a movie scene for my digital audio class, and also this animation I've been doing for my 2d animation class is fairly time consuming (pencil-to-paper animation recorded on VHS tapes, old skool). But it's almost over!

And yes I'm still planning for something for Christmas, definitely a beta release. But the catapults/arrestors will be functional which is the big thing. Enough for people to make missions with. I'll definitely add to it afterwards though, stuff I want in it but just haven't had time to do this past month or two. Perhaps unfortunately, I'm not big into this addon-making thing so my release standards are low and I'd rather just let people start playing with it and add more to it later than attempt to make it everything I want it to be right off the bat.

Also regarding that scale model, yea I'd seen that before and definitely looked at it for some material. However I'm not trying to make it 100% accurate, especially not the interior. Too much work, most of the interior would just be eye candy and not really used in any way, and again too much work haha. As you might've realized I'm limited on time for what I've already done/am to do, which kinda sucks because I think this is an important addon. But trust me if I go a while without posting it doesn't mean its dead, I'm just busy :)

Thanks for the update JDog. Completely understand that real life comes first.

Actually I quite like your approach of releasing sooner and then improving over time. My view is that many addons never see the light of day because the addon makers fall into the trap of attempting to achieve perfection and end up losing interest before uploading anything.

If you are looking to save some time, perhaps focus on the core functionality of the carrier (i.e. being able to land planes and walk around on the deck) and put the interiors on the backburner. It sounds like you are doing this anyway.

Keep up the good work. :)

.... However I'm not trying to make it 100% accurate, especially not the interior. Too much work, most of the interior would just be eye candy and not really used in any way .....

Totally agree. Do the bits that are useable, the rest waits for when its useful for mission makers etc ..... which is likely never ;)

Looking forward to a beta release.

It doesn't have to do with the carrier at all lol but this is like half of my final for my digital audio class. A total redo of the sound from the Battle: Los Angeles trailer.

My version

Don't worry about the 240p WIP video lol, its about the sound :P

Only thing I think I'm gonna do is add another person's voice. Only had 2 voices to work with, think I started to overdo it trying to make them sound like more than 2.

Anyway, next post of mine here will be an update on this foh shizzle.

Nice job mate.

Only miss I noticed was the last couple of sequences (1:47+) didnt have any sound effects, but I'm guessing it was unfinished.

Nice movie preview to do your project on;)

It doesn't have to do with the carrier at all lol but this is like half of my final for my digital audio class. A total redo of the sound from the Battle: Los Angeles trailer.

My version

Don't worry about the 240p WIP video lol, its about the sound :P

Only thing I think I'm gonna do is add another person's voice. Only had 2 voices to work with, think I started to overdo it trying to make them sound like more than 2.

Anyway, next post of mine here will be an update on this foh shizzle.

its a good job , but go more into detail. soundeffects are most in the mids (mono). follow the sounds with automation in stereo according to the moving sound sources. use eq to form the frquencies , reverbs to make it sound bigger. pitchshift/double the voice that it sounds cooler and and and ;)

doing sounds to a video is really fun. what program do you use ??

did you do the music by yourself ??

I enjoyed the second one (your version) because it told more about what was going on. I think you were spot on with the sound fx from what I could see, but then again, I'm not audio tech. Good job, you'd get an A if I was the prof.