Sign in to follow this  
JDog

USS Nimitz - WIP

Look at them deck textures... man I'm good...

Only problem is you forgot the IFOLS :\

Awwwwww, I was allready hypen when clicking the link. :(

When I saw the link I was like " : D "

When I clicked the link I was like " w00t! : D"

When I saw the youtube video I was like " ...The fu-"

When I realized that author top-gun-rolled me I was like " : ( "

When I realized that author top-gun-rolled me I was like " : ( "

Top-gun-rolled lmao. Aww, sorry Kristian. Here this is for you:

vGRWoa0u2Gw

Figured out lights and sounds.

But seriously... visual updates will become sparse now because 1) school starts tomorrow and 2) all the big stuff is almost done, save for island texture. It'll mostly be smaller stuff, scripting stuff, etc now. Still a long ways from completion.

This looks amazing - brilliant work! Can't wait to get my flightsim fix in Arma2, LOL

-OP

you going to make it destructable or invincible like the a2 LHD?

Haven't decided yet, still lots of other stuff needs doing first.

Great landing there JDog. Looking good. Good luck in school and I hope you can find time to squeeze in some Nimitz work in-between homework.

:)

Storytime:

So whether or not I've mentioned, this is like my 3rd model I've ever made lol (the others being tutorials haha). I'm a lot better at it now than I was when I started, of course haha, considering how big it is.

Anyway, so I decided I'd go ahead and add 1 level of the island, make just 1 room people can go into/look out of. And man oh man. I haven't touched the island since I first just made the outer shell of the deck/hull. I can tell how bad of a modeler I was lol, and it's only been like 2 or 3 months. Also, when I made it, I originally didn't intend to have any interiors other than the hangar bay. So... it is not set up at all for having an interior. It's like I'm having to carefully cut through a stack of pancakes to add an inside haha. Man this sucks! But I'm too lazy to remake the thing.

I had some time to work on it today, added a bit more to the model that will have some utility in-game I'm sure you guys will appreciate :)

Great stuff JDog, sure hope you get time finish it with all that you have going on.

Anyway keep up the great work this is very needed model !

i know my F-18s and Etendards both have arrester hooks. Once this comes to frutition i will defiantely have to animate them

Just out of curiosity... For use on your nimitz and the kuznetsov carrier... does a code have to be added to the plane config for it to catch?

Amazing work there, JDog. Looking forward to see this finished.

Good luck!

@Wolfbite, nothing more will be needed than placing the carrier in the editor for everything to work (catapults, arrestors, etc). The only limitation of this (or of my scripting ability, idk which) is that I think it will only function with 1 carrier on the map (not that you'd need more). Gnat's Kuznetsov is fairly easy also, all it requires is you to place an included game logic around the spot where the cables would be in the editor. Mine is pretty accurate though, there's a 120-foot stretch of deck that you will have to catch the wires (40ft between each of the 4 cables). It isn't difficult if you come in anywhere near the right speed.

Anyway simple answer, I'm leaving it rather open. So long as it is indeed a plane, the arrestors will catch it. So theoretically you could do this:

b52-aircraft-carrier.jpg

Wow, lol @ B-52 on deck of a carrier, but nice that just about anything can land on it.

:)

How could you possible land that on there without clipping the control tower? lol :confused:

Myke;1730356']AFAIK the ILS is in the islands config and i think to remember that it isn't possible to set it up for objects which would be necessary in this case. One of the many let-downs of the game engine when it comes to air vehicles in general.

...so does this mean this one will also need a script for planes to be parked on it, as it is necessary on the Khe Sanh?

...so does this mean this one will also need a script for planes to be parked on it, as it is necessary on the Khe Sanh?

Umm... well script-wise all you will need to park/spawn a plane on the deck is just be able to set its elevation, which is like 1 line of code. If you mean being able to make AI land on it... probably much more difficult. If you could write a script that makes an AI pilot fly into the wires, it will catch him, but getting him to taxi somewhere is a whole 'nother issue. The landing might not be TOO hard, probably a series of flyInHeight and setting the speed would do it. But I'm not writing it :)

Also, the model is pretty much entirely done now, the interior's been revamped nicely I think, some additions and such, just have tiny detailing to do but that'll wait til the majority of what's already done is textured... tons of texturing work awaits. The sounds and actions don't seem to work in multiplayer so, gonna have to learn some multiplayer scripting I suppose too heh.

Edited by JDog

That's good news, but I know texturing can be a bitch, so we'll have to be a little patient here...as for the ai landing scripts, you're right, but don't worry, with the ammount of work the actual carrier represents for you, no one would blame you for not making them. We'll manage.

you could write a script that makes an AI pilot fly into the wires, it will catch him, but getting him to taxi somewhere is a whole 'nother issue.

Two words for that

"Ask Mandoble"

He's the all mighty scripting god here. He did a set of auto landing scripts for GNATs Kuznetsov carrier in Arma. They could be easily adapted for the nimitz, I'm sure

That B-52 must've landed backwards, otherwise, its starboard wing would've clipped the carrier island. Not to mention the rust that would form on the B-52, as it is not designed for maritime operations. :p

Edited by Laqueesha

That B-52 must've landed backwards, otherwise, its starboard wing would've clipped the carrier island. Not to mention the rust that would form on the B-52, as it is not designed for maritime operations. :p

He used the Old keep flying up till you go backwards eh?