Sign in to follow this  
celery

Do you want OPFOR vehicles to have TI?

Do you want the developers to add TI to OPFOR vehicles?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the developers to add TI to OPFOR vehicles?

• Yes
    • Yes, but the vehicles with TI should be separate classes
    • No, unless their models are updated to reflect it
    • No

Do you want the developers to add a thermal imaging feature to OPFOR vehicles that can carry such optics in real life?

The question is important especially to the pvp scene where the addition of TI to vanilla A2's USMC Abrams tanks makes every pre-Arrowhead tank mission unbalanced and in need of editing to manually remove the feature in each mission individually. In practise the one-sided addition obsoletes the affected missions in their present state. Note that currently the AI does not seem to have increased capabilities when operating a vehicle equipped with TI.

Also, before the release of the expansion, BIS answered to the following question thusly:

Quote from Ask Bohemia:

Will this feature be equally distributed to all factions in the game?

This technology is available primarily to the US Army and Alliance forces only. Local Takistani forces (except of modernized T-72 tanks) and guerrillas fighters don't have such advanced technology. It's not only a nice graphical feature and visual trick, it's a fully working advantage which could save your ingame life and it opens up new approaches in playing the game.

Adding the feature with a community-made addon would otherwise be feasible but as long as there is no proper addon management in MP, it would only make public gaming even more difficult.

Edited by Celery

No. Unless it's realistic it has no place in ArmA

ARMA is a video game, not a simulator.

I presume you are refering to the ArmA2 vehicles like the T90/BMP3/KA5x? If so then yes i would like to see it as well, as well as the rest of the ArmA2 vehicles that should have it ie AH-1Z, LAV etc. But hey im just happy we got it at all! The original vehicles should be bought up to OA standards i feel, as they probably wont re release the Russian and marines factions again in a future expansion, and will not get the update otherwise

Yes he means vehicles like the T-90, BMP-3, Ka-52

They have it in real life so why not in the game since the US equipment have it after OA

Edited by vasmkd

If they have it in RL yes, if not, then no. As far as people saying its a game, not a simulator, it does say "Ultimate Military Simulator" in big letters on the US edition. Its like flight simulator, some people enjoy flying around for 5 hrs before landing, some people don't. If they don't, they find a game that suits their needs, like ace combat. If you want everything to be perfectly fair, i do not believe this is the game for you.

Active Infra-red searchlights should be possible now, that would be very cool for OPFOR tanks. Though if FLIR was modelled that would be cool also.

Just for it to reflect Opfor Vehicles RL capabilites, not to make funny gameplay possible (T-34 vs M1A2...and the T34 is able to make a stand...lol...ridiculous in my thinking^^).

Cya on the battlefields

I am for technical accuracy of vic systems. if it has such devices, then give them it

HOWEVER,

what BIS can do is invent a fictional variant (a local taki manufactured variant?) of a vic, with "modern" gear or what ever. t-72t or something. they just need to indicate that its a local variant. that way there can be both realistic models and fictional models with different capabilities.

in the case of the t72, im not sure what variant of it is portrayed in game. im guessing its a M variant...

That guy

Very good suggestion. There's no reason why the Takistani's couldn't buy export T-72s and make their own modifications. I still think they should introduce Active IR. :p

There are two sides to this...yes it would be nice if the opfor had vehicles with TI, however an easy solution for PVP is to use pre OA USMC vehicles that don't have TI capabilities rather than the US faction vehicles in games or missions.

Until BI creates a OPFOR faction that is TI capable we are gonna have to be off balanced in the PVP scene. This being just a simulator and not RL, BI can create a faction with TI capabilities to be an OPFOR asset.

There are two sides to this...yes it would be nice if the opfor had vehicles with TI, however an easy solution for PVP is to use pre OA USMC vehicles that don't have TI capabilities rather than the US faction vehicles in games or missions.

Until BI creates a OPFOR faction that is TI capable we are gonna have to be off balanced in the PVP scene. This being just a simulator and not RL, BI can create a faction with TI capabilities to be an OPFOR asset.

And there is the problem, the usmc m1a1 got updated with oa.

I voted "No, unless their models are updated to reflect this" becuase I assume the OP does not mean just the Russian Equipment, I believe they also mean the T-72 which has equipment added to it to have TI

And there is the problem, the usmc m1a1 got updated with oa.

Do not bring that into here man, we already know that, and the only reason that happened is because BIS simply copied and pasted the M1A1 into OA, and repainted it. That is why the USMC M1A1 gets Thermal, not because BIS wanted to give A2 Blufor an advantage.

I am for technical accuracy of vic systems. if it has such devices, then give them it

HOWEVER,

what BIS can do is invent a fictional variant (a local taki manufactured variant?) of a vic, with "modern" gear or what ever. t-72t or something. they just need to indicate that its a local variant. that way there can be both realistic models and fictional models with different capabilities.

in the case of the t72, im not sure what variant of it is portrayed in game. im guessing its a M variant...

Agreed. I voted Yes, but I do not think that every single Takistani vehicle should have Thermal if a TI variant exists. The T-72, the BMP-2 (Does any RL variant have it?) and a select few should get it, that's all.

@Celery, I hope you realize that this discussion needs to be about OA only. Bringing AII up to OA standards is a whole other story.

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

Do not bring that into here man, we already know that, and the only reason that happened is because BIS simply copied and pasted the M1A1 into OA, and repainted it. That is why the USMC M1A1 gets Thermal, not because BIS wanted to give A2 Blufor an advantage.

I was just pointing out that the solution Xtremist suggest doesn't work. You don't have to get all touchy about it.

Didn't vote. Want an "Only if the vehicle has it in RL" option. Ka-52 for example. Not on T-72 etc.

I would think it would be hard to implant TI. Seeing that TI is a feature from Arrowhead it simply can't be added to the ArmA II tanks without adding the tanks and factions (Russia, USMC, CDF, etc.) to Arrowhead. And if you try to add the TI to the existing ArmA II tanks, without Arrowhead, it would take alot of time, money and a possibility of having compatibility issues. Unbalanced gameplay is also an issue, as more BLUFOR units uses TI then any OPFOR available.

Didn't vote. Want an "Only if the vehicle has it in RL" option. Ka-52 for example. Not on T-72 etc.

The T-72 does have it in RL. There are many different variants of the T-72 though, so probably 80-90% of the variants don't have it.

I would think it would be hard to implant TI. Seeing that TI is a feature from Arrowhead it simply can't be added to the ArmA II tanks without adding the tanks and factions (Russia, USMC, CDF, etc.) to Arrowhead.

USMC's Abrams got updated to A2 standards and got TI added to it, without them bringing USMC into OA and probably without needing to completely remake the models either.

And if you try to add the TI to the existing ArmA II tanks, without Arrowhead, it would take alot of time, money and a possibility of having compatibility issues.

That is probably not true either. Sure it takes time, but a lot of time? Most likely not. I'm sure someone who knows how to make that as an addon can tell us how long it took him to make it (which means for BIS it would take less).

I mean I don't find a TI variant T-72/T-90 a top priority by any means and could very well live without it, but I also don't have anything against having it, as it really can't hurt. Just like we have unrealistic SCARs but we don't really have to use them in our missions (or actually we do because we don't have any official OA-quality M4A1s/M16A4s but that's a different topic).

I do stand corrected I wasnt aware that the USMC abrams was updated till after reading the post after mine. With that being said I do think that BI should have gave the Opfor a tracked and a rotary wing with TI to keep the PVP on a level field. Just my 2 cents.

@Celery, I hope you realize that this discussion needs to be about OA only. Bringing AII up to OA standards is a whole other story.

This discussion is about Combined Ops, not OA nor A2 on their own. This discussion exists because BIS brought part of A2's content to OA standards in Combined Ops.

Read the first sentence of the first post.

Modern T-72s most likely have TI

Modern T-72s most likely don't have TI.

See how I countered your argument easily?

Try base your comments on something next time please, as the way you say it now I'd believe you just as well if you said the exact opposite.