Sign in to follow this  
Tex-Twil

disappointed

Hi,

I bought the game (OA) and I have to say that I am disappointed. The game has only 8 short missions and the AI is really poor.

Do you also share my opinion ?

Tex-Twil, you aren't alone in finding the AO campaign somewhat lacklustre, however by (a) playing online multiplayer missions and (b) downloading some the thousands of user-created missions, campaigns and modifications, you will I'm sure get much more enjoyment out of this amazing game.

You're quite within your rights to voice your disapppointment, but please realise that you have barely scratched the surface of the Armaversum.

Yes you have to learn what you can and what you cannot do with your ai men.

The original included missions are not many and i hardly ever play them.

What you need to to is find a multiplayer map,co-op or Pvp, that suids your needs.

For me that is Warfare BE

Im paying the CTI for as long as it is around and i still can not get enough of it.

Look in this forum in the User created missions section and see what you might like.

I also recommend the editor.

If you still donot like the game after that than maybe this game is not for you.

Yes I know that the multiplayer is another huge part of Arma. I just think that BI could have created a longer and better campaign instead of just counting on the fact that other people will do it.

Since it looks like youre completly new to the series i can understand your view and i think its not the best to assign you as troll cause of your point...

I like ArmaII because of the Editor only,

i dont play MP and rarely usermade SP,

maybe Editor is also where you get your Arma love;)

Hi,

I bought the game (OA) and I have to say that I am disappointed. The game has only 8 short missions and the AI is really poor.

The game is actually a (standalone) expansion for the game ArmA II.

Poor AI compared to what? The scripted AI which always repeat the same actions over and over? Before you complain about the AI name another game with such an open gameplay and open area where the AI is not scripted and reacts on its own. ;)

AI improvements over the years were not enough.

This is the area where the BIS Team would have to work harder and better.

Let's face it ..

Who would play the AI in SP without enanchement mod or scripts created by modders? Few of us: the less demanding, but sure not the hardcore and skilled gamers because AI behaviour is boring and predictable.

Unfortunately, the absence of competitors on market has decreased motivation and objectives of BIS team in this area of the game.

Arma players also are very tolerant because they love this game (even I am) and still look forward.

Arma is still the best product of its kind on the market and OA is a a small but very small step forward.

Cheers

He could mean the poor AI that goes prone and does 100 press ups before mounting a vehicle. Or perhaps the AI that just goes prone and won't find cover when being attacked by a tank. ;)

For all the wonderfull experiences I have had with the AI in A2, it has also frustrated the hell out of me. As did the AI in Arma and Operation Flashpoint.

Hi,

No I dont share your opinion. For the simple reason that you are wrong. The game is an expansion for ArmA2 which you already own and rather than having only 8 short missions, has a short campaign of 7 missions, 8 sp missions, around 15 tutorial missions, brings new features, maps and factions to the game. All this is much more than just 8 missions which is what your statement would have people believe. And that doesnt even cover what can be achieved in the editor. As for the poor AI, I think Wolle addressed that issue already but I would just add that I would suggest playing on a multi core PC where more resources can be allocated to the AI.

Edited by Killerwatt

@Killerwatt

Did the OP say he has Arma 2? This is a "standalone" game. If you only bought A2 OA which cost as much as A2 did you would have every right to be disappointed. Hell I own A2 and OA and I was disappointed with the length of the campaign.

@Killerwatt

Did the OP say he has Arma 2? This is a "standalone" game. If you only bought A2 OA which cost as much as A2 did you would have every right to be disappointed. Hell I own A2 and OA and I was disappointed with the length of the campaign.

He didnt have to. His previous posts tell you that.

The game is actually a (standalone) expansion for the game ArmA II.

Poor AI compared to what? The scripted AI which always repeat the same actions over and over? Before you complain about the AI name another game with such an open gameplay and open area where the AI is not scripted and reacts on its own. ;)

Uh huh. Except we still need mods to force AI to do such basic stuff as deploying smoke

I confirm my opinion on the failure evolution of AI in all these years since my gaming experience is today based on Intel i7-960 3.20GHz (4 cores 8 threads).

A system that could accommodate a much better AI than that offered by the game..

Cheers

He didnt have to. His previous posts tell you that.

I assume you mean a post in an unrelated thread?

In my opinion for a full price stand alone expansion OA was a disappointment.

In fact the only thing that has kept me loyal to BI and their games for the past 8 years is the fact that it is a unique product and as such has no competition. The AI has a long way to go. For example it would be nice if the AI reacted properly to suppresive fire - taking cover and keeping their heads down instead firing back without a care in the world.

Edited by stun

I'd imagine that the one thing BIS works the hardest on is the AI. When you consider that an independent developer like BIS with their rather limited resources compared to the mainstream developers are trying to do a totally dynamic AI that can utilize an entirely traversable, no-hidden-walls environment, you can see they have a task that would be monumental even for a mainstream developer. Now when you take all those factors into account, you can see that their AI as it is, even with all it's imperfections and faults, is damn impressive. It's only going to get better, but it's not going to happen immediately for obvious reasons.

I agree that the campaign was short, but it was decent and not disappointing, in my opinion. As said earlier, find and download a good community-made SP campaign, or make one yourself using the mission editor. That single functionality holds the true awesomeness of these games.

Edited by Zipper5

I must say Bis TEAM has the great merit of having built a moddable platform.

However, frankly speaking, they should thank every day with a big sticky thread talented modders as Silola, Monsada, SNKMAN, Solus, Protegimus, and others (sorry if I forgot someone) who brought up the level of AI.

Without their efforts the default gaming experience in SP would be still very low..

Thanks to them, the appeal of the game has become richer and more realistic and many erroneous behavior of AI have been partially corrected or made more varied and unpredictable.

This is proof that you do not need to be a big software company to improve things...

Cheers

I must say Bis TEAM has the great merit of having built a moddable platform.

However, frankly speaking, they should thank every day with a big sticky thread talented modders as Silola, Monsada, SNKMAN, Solus, Protegimus, and others (sorry if I forgot someone) who brought up the level of AI.

Without their efforts the default gaming experience in SP would be still very low..

Thanks to them, the appeal of the game has become richer and more realistic and many erroneous behavior of AI have been partially corrected or made more varied and unpredictable.

This is proof that you do not need to be a big software company to improve things...

Cheers

I work with the vanilla AI all the time, rarely do I use any mods anymore. This is largely because I'm pretty much a dedicated mission editor. That's not to say I haven't used the mods developed by the people you've mentioned, but I don't find the AI enhancements in the mods something that prevents me from going back to the default. In fact, their new-found autonomy when using said mods sometimes makes them even more difficult to work with when mission editing. The vanilla AI is a pretty formidable opponent. It's not at all perfect, but it's the best it's ever been, and will only get better. It's still getting better as BIS release beta patches one after the other.

And in my opinion, the vanilla experience is highly enjoyable. I'm not saying that the game doesn't have gamebreakers in areas, but some people constantly seem hell-bent on breaking it just to complain; the most laughable of these being people who still complain that you can fire at a tank with a rifle and blow it up, yet it would probably take an hour of constant firing from a M4A1 on 4x speed to have said effect.

Editor, addons, mods, scripts, ect.,. is where its at, disappointed? for what, make your own missions,

throw those in sp, and mp , and campaign in the editor and adjust or fix things to how you want,

this is the type of game you can do that, and Im proud to say that, thats what gives Arma its replayability.

Only thing missing in this scenerio is your imagination.

For a very small example of what you can do within the editor play a mission that i have created. Yes its a shameless plug! but it also shows what you can do with a little knowledge and some imagination.

Link: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=105236

Then goto Armaholic or ArmedAssault.info and look at the literally thousands of addons / mods / missions that you can download and / or use / play. You would spend more than a lifetime trying them all...

In general: a game that is not enjoyable itself (= vanilla/default) should be deinstalled. Dont bother fanboys - they will always say something like "iz teh awzomg gamez!!!1"

There is no plausible reason that customers should be forced to download additional stuff or to make own missions to turn their feelings about a game.

Its simple:

If you dont like game X

then

continue search for an enjoyable game

else

develop your own game

Your apartment has a bee in it? Ooops! Time to find a new apartment or build your own bee-proof house.

He didn't say he didn't like the game. Only that he didn't like the AI and how short the campaign was.