Sign in to follow this  
UrbanXFX

DLC - Canadian Forces

General Dynamics formerly GM Diesel Division in London, Ontario, Canada produces LAV's for canada and the (lower chassis) for the US, possibly others too.

These LAV products are built by canadians with canadian steel/alloys

Anyone in Buffalo NY/Detroit MI can look to the border and see em being shipped across by truck sealed in shrink wrap, or on rail flatbeds.

Products on sale

back on topic:

A canadian DLC would be great, A tribute to a country who has actively participated in in 90% of major allied conflicts this century, They invented peacekeeping too.

Consider it BIS :)

bunch of coalition troops rather than just Canadian (go Canada! by the way) would be interesting.

bunch of coalition troops rather than just Canadian (go Canada! by the way) would be interesting.

For those bashing me, this is what I was getting too ^^

I'd rather have Germans or French, since Ons are doing vely wel, but if they could pull it of with something bigger than the Brit pack it might be worth looking at.

For those bashing me, this is what I was getting too ^^

You were getting to that by saying

No, I would just simply like to see a force thats done more and in more power overseas right now.

FPDR

No offense to our Canadian Friends, but a Canadian Units DLC would be pretty low on my list for the main reason that they do not have distinctive enough technologies from the US or other European forces at first glance.

Unlike Germany, France, or Chinese PLA for instance it would look very much like what we already have now with the US and UK forces.

For instance, despite all the nitpicking about the different firemodes and hand grip, their guns look very much like US guns (unlike G36, FN, Famas etc...). It wouldn't be exotic IMHO.

No offense to our Canadian Friends, but a Canadian Units DLC would be pretty low on my list for the main reason that they do not have distinctive enough technologies from the US or other European forces at first glance.

Unlike Germany, France, or Chinese PLA for instance it would look very much like what we already have now with the US and UK forces.

For instance, despite all the nitpicking about the different firemodes and hand grip, their guns look very much like US guns (unlike G36, FN, Famas etc...). It wouldn't be exotic IMHO.

This, right here, is how you disagree.

I see your point, but at least Canadian forces play - and have played - a major role in recent conflicts. Despite the homogenous equipment, this makes them truly relevant and worthy of representation IMO.

I can't get excited about playing as German Army, who basically sit in the desert drinking beer, or the French who point-blank refuse to put their troops anywhere near a real firefight :confused:

PLA would be great, but it's hard to envisage them in Takistan or Chernarus, maybe they should be saved for ArmA 3: Oil War In The Arctic :yay: or ArmA 4: It All Kicks Off Over Taiwan In The South China Sea :yay::yay:

Edited by Mandrake5

I can't get excited about playing as German Army, who basically sit in the desert drinking beer, or the French who point-blank refuse to put their troops anywhere near a real firefight

To each his own I guess... For me, it's not a matter of "bravery" or "political relevance", but variety and diversity in the game. French and Germans have very different camo patterns, equipments etc...

Regarding the French not being close to a real firefight, you may be refering to Irak, where France decided not to take part in the coalliton, but that's disregarding the first Desert Storm (Operation Daguet), Kosovo, Bosnia, all the peacekeeping operations in Africa (from Rwanda to Ivory Coast), all the operations in the Indian Ocean against Somali Pirates, anti-terrorist specops to free hostages and the several thousands of troops in Afghanistan, who take as much flak as anyone else there.

Both the French and German contingent in the ISAF are bigger than the Canadian one afaik, even though the casualty rate is higher among Canadians.

I didn't do the math but there must be around 8 to 10 times more French soldiers deployed around the globe (around 36 000) than Canadians + the French have Nukes, aircraft carriers, submarines, the Foreign Legion etc...

So if you ask me, and all patriotic considerations apart, a French or German mod would bring much more wealth and diversity on the Blurfor side than any other country I can think of.

Thankfully, we have BWmod and Hexagon to play with in the meantime. though, it's never as widespread as when it's official...

Edit : By the way, I hope you realize you were being rude in your reply.

Edited by EricM

I wouldn't mind seeing Canadians as DLC.

"Enemy, 2 o'clock, eh"

"Engaging, dontchaknow"

"He's down, eh"

Of course, if we get voices like that, i want some thick Texan accents for some of the US troops and more angry Russian voices.

All joking aside, I would actually enjoy seeing the Canadians added, but not in their own DLC. Maybe added on like the Germans were added on with OA, a special forces team of sorts. Or, as someone else noted, a NATO pack that adds various countries. I'd like to see the Germans expanded, along with the French, Australians, Chinese, Navy SEALS, and Italians added as well, but we'll have to wait and see what BIS has in store for us.

To each his own I guess... For me, it's not a matter of "bravery" or "political relevance", but variety and diversity in the game. French and Germans have very different camo patterns, equipments etc...

Regarding the French not being close to a real firefight, you may be refering to Irak, where France decided not to take part in the coalliton, but that's disregarding the first Desert Storm (Operation Daguet), Kosovo, Bosnia, all the peacekeeping operations in Africa (from Rwanda to Ivory Coast), all the operations in the Indian Ocean against Somali Pirates, anti-terrorist specops to free hostages and the several thousands of troops in Afghanistan, who take as much flak as anyone else there.

Both the French and German contingent in the ISAF are bigger than the Canadian one afaik, even though the casualty rate is higher among Canadians.

I didn't do the math but there must be around 8 to 10 times more French soldiers deployed around the globe (around 36 000) than Canadians + the French have Nukes, aircraft carriers, submarines, the Foreign Legion etc...

So if you ask me, and all patriotic considerations apart, a French or German mod would bring much more wealth and diversity on the Blurfor side than any other country I can think of.

Thankfully, we have BWmod and Hexagon to play with in the meantime. though, it's never as widespread as when it's official...

Edit : By the way, I hope you realize you were being rude in your reply.

Firstly, it was not my intention to be rude; flippant maybe, but not offensive. Therefore I apologise if I offended you.

Secondly, France may have a big military but for cultural, political and historical reasons it shies away from high risk combat assignments and prefers to play minor roles (policing operations) in a large number of hotspots. For that reason, as you state, the casualty rate among French forces is vastly lower than among its more proactive, aggressive allies. Personally, I don't see the appeal of this approach in terms of game simulation, and if I had to choose between French forces manning checkpoints or Canadians storming Taliban compounds, it would be the army which is doing most of the fighting every time.

The German role (or lack thereof) in Afghanistan actually became a scandal in Germany when it was revealed (by Bild Zeitung I think) how overweight and inactive many of their troops in Afghanistan have become, and how their bases had come to resemble holiday resorts. Again, due to historical/political reasons, the German govt's reluctance to play more than a token role in Nato ops is understandable, but again, given the choice, I would find the travails of a fully-committed army like Canada's to be far more interesting.

Please note that this is in no way a political or nationalistic argument; it is purely a reflection of my interpretation of what is actually happening on the ground in Afghan (Takistan) right now.

Sorry once again for causing offence.

Mandrake

Edited by Mandrake5

German policy keeps the German soldiers away from the major offensives, etc, I don't remember the details, but they are there in more of a supporting role, I don't know about France though.

"Engaging, dontchaknow"

I think that's more of an Alaskan thing.

A more stereotypically Canadian response would be something like:

"Fucking rights! Engaging!"

The ignorance about the Canadian contribution in Afganistan is appauling.

The Canadians have been in a major combat role since the invasion have contributed more to the fight then anyone else except the Americans.

The Britons have only recently (2006) sent in significant commitment of troops with the Para Regiment (the Brits have been heavily commited in Iraq), long before their deployment the Canadians have been in major operations in Kandihar province and have sustained plenty of casualties.

It is unfortunate that the British press does not include any articles on the Canadian contribution particularly given our commitment to the Commonwealth and support for the UK in the past.

In Patrick Bishop's book on 3 Para in Afganistan he makes many references to the Canadian soldiers in combat, maybe read it it is a good look at the war from the UK point of view.

Edited by Dr@gon

I've always been a big admirer of the Canadian army. I like the way they go about their business. I like the fact that they are fully independent in their decision making about deployments and only fully commit to wars that directly affect people back in Canada.

As a Brit, I feared the worst when the Iraq war came about, I could not see the necessity to invade, and it turned out for the worst. The 1st Gulf War however was a necessity, thus the Canadian deployment.

Canadian's would be a great addition to A2. The current Canadian addons don't really seem to be up to scratch (no offence intended, I could not do any better!) compared to a lot of other mods out there, so I would really like to see them officially done! It would be great to have joint US, UK and Canadian ops in A2!

I'd buy a Canadian DLC pack, in a heartbeat (but ya, I live there - in Edmonton, eh). ;)

I am also not against a joint DLC pack, say Canadians and Australians.

As someone commented earlier, since Canada uses VBS2, there is likely quite a bit of Canadian hardware already modelled that BIS could take advantage of, reducing the development cost and time required to produce a Canadian DLC pack. BIS may be very attracted to this advantage (how else do you think they produced the BAF pack so quickly?).

For the nay sayers, don't forget too that BIS seems to be using these DLC products to also roll out new game engine features, new maps, etc., so it's not just about the specific hardware they are modelling.

BIS would be better off Producing their own Canadian models as BIA and BIS maybe simliar, they are not the same, they had to jump through some legal hoops just to bring some VBS2 features over to OA.

If not Canadians alone then, and with all this talk of an Australian DLC and of course a New Zealand DLC would probably go along with it or next to it, why not a Commonwealth Combined package? Sure I know Britain's now got it's own DLC and they are part of the Commonwealth but I think it'd be great to see Canadian, Australian and New Zealanders all together. Perhaps a few others also, although right now I can't think who else in the Commonwealth's sent forces into Afghan other than on exchange programmes.

I pay 100$ for a canadian DLC LOL :)

I wouldn't lol, ONS (Operation North Star) is in active development. Just be patient and we'll have our troops in the game soon :)

Yea i use it since OFP, but he have a lot of work to do before the mod reach a DLC quality. And the ONS team and BIS can work together or BIS can just make the CH-146 Griffon that's would be very fantastic :)

In fact i love all stuff from ONS, just the Griffon cause me some headhache.

ONS need texture artist so if someone can help please contact them :)

BIS has the capability to do things that most mod groups can't- It can deliver high quality content in a timely fashion. Mod groups can usually do one or the other and sometimes neither. I don't know if answers to requests for DLC urging users to wait for some mod that may or may not be released is really relevant. DarkEclip says he wants to pay for BIS's time, and so do I, ONS notwithstanding. When ONS makes a release, they may become actually pertinent to people who wish to play Canadian Forces.

I am a Canadian who would buy Canadian Army DLC, for sure. Mind you, I'd also buy a DLC with the French Foreign Legion, or the US Army Rangers. For that matter, I'd buy DLC with Laotian Army reservists, Singaporean Guards, or the full order of battle of the Zimbabwean Catering Corps. It's all good, and I certainly don't feel any slight to my nation if it is not mentioned in a video game about a fictional conflict.

That said, I do see a way for some Canadian content. If BIS had a DLC called the Special Operations Pack or something, and included:

- USSOCOM, with Special Forces, Deltas, SEALs (including a boat or two), Rangers, and also 160th SOAR

- British SAS/SBS, and Royal Marines and Paras based on current BAF content

- Aussie SASR

- Canadian Special Operations Regiment &/or JTF2

- Alfa, Vympel, OMON...Russians, just to balance OPFOR the out.

Doing something like that would get some Canadian content in there, and people who would not otherwise buy a Canadian only pack would probably buy it for the rest, so long as there were good OPFOR options and terrain, and some sweet missions and campaigns.