Sign in to follow this  
gvse

Vanilla vs beta color saturation

Hi folks,

Is there any way in which I would bring back the higher color saturation to betas for OA? I noticed that vanilla game is much more colorful and vibrant whereas betas have more washed out color palette (especially early in the evening). I do like that more colorful world but I don't want to miss the fixes brought in betas. How can I get that?

Any help would be appreciated.

could you please provide screenshot comparsion?

Here are the images:

First one is of the vanilla game:

http://a.imageshack.us/img268/1156/arma2oa2010081410385554.jpg

Second one of the beta-patched game (both show the exact same mission at the exact same moment in time):

http://a.imageshack.us/img199/374/arma2oa2010081410412129.jpg

Notice how the second one is devoid of color. Both screenies are actually a bit darker than what I see in game on my monitor but you should get what I mean.

Again, I appreciate your help!

Well, it may be the matter of personal preference, but I too happen to prefer the color palette in vanilla game. The question is how to bring it back to the game with beta patches.

Same here, you can see the version numbers at the bottom right.

arma2oa71816.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

arma2oa72418.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post Proc is off.

This is Arma2/AO, one config, two shortcuts.

Edit: do beta patches have their own configs, the light picture has no shadows but I always play with Shadow on High ?!?!

I tabbed between two Armas running at the same time.

I can't say I prefer any of them :)

Edited by fusionofp
hmmm, 2 configs not one

This was done for a reason and is, in fact, realistic.

id say both of em have shadows as you can see on that bush. The brighter one has a higher solar angle i would say^^ so the shadow is just beneath the bush ._.

Look, I started this thread not to argue what is more or less realistic but how (if at all) can I bring back the original color palette. I would really appreciate some pointers.

You can't. Having colours at evening and night was a bug in 1.52. It is fixed now.

Damn! Anyways, thanks for the answer!

You can't. Having colours at evening and night was a bug in 1.52. It is fixed now.

Believe it or not, the human eye doesn't pick up color in the dark as well as in the light. The color receptors (Cones) are not as sensitive as the light receptors (Rods). This means that color saturation goes through the floor. Good feature IMO, though it could be darker (Night time is way too bright.). Attention to detail, adds immersion. :yay:

already fixed, You will see in next working beta

And the lack of a "color filter" when playing at Chernarus at night under OA (as seen in other topic, which I couldn´t find), is adressed?

Here are the images:

First one is of the vanilla game:

http://a.imageshack.us/img268/1156/arma2oa2010081410385554.jpg

Second one of the beta-patched game (both show the exact same mission at the exact same moment in time):

http://a.imageshack.us/img199/374/arma2oa2010081410412129.jpg

Notice how the second one is devoid of color. Both screenies are actually a bit darker than what I see in game on my monitor but you should get what I mean.

Again, I appreciate your help!

Ohhhh how I love colour blindness... I can't see a freakin difference between those screenies lol.

Doesnt that intro menu just have random time-of-day? Those pics cant be compared really...

edit: missed the second page, nvm.

Actually nights in Arma 2 right now remind me when people were playing OFP with Direct X 9 cards that gave pixel shader night effect making nights seem like tottaly black&white. I don´t like that too much.

Same here, you can see the version numbers at the bottom right.

Post Proc is off.

This is Arma2/AO, one config, two shortcuts.

Edit: do beta patches have their own configs, the light picture has no shadows but I always play with Shadow on High ?!?!

I tabbed between two Armas running at the same time.

I can't say I prefer any of them :)

... Those two shots are at different times of day.

Actually nights in Arma 2 right now remind me when people were playing OFP with Direct X 9 cards that gave pixel shader night effect making nights seem like tottaly black&white. I don´t like that too much.

Nights are black and white