Sign in to follow this  
Tankriders

Bring Russian army back

Pleasssss bring the Russian army back in the game. The current opposition is to weak.

There is now fun in blowing up old Tanks like T-55 and T-34.

The current opposition is not weak, I reject your reality and substitute my own. Just place 2 Taki teams in Zargabad and drive an Abrams down the middle, see who wins....

The current opposition is not weak, I reject your reality and substitute my own. Just place 2 Taki teams in Zargabad and drive an Abrams down the middle, see who wins....

yea, seriously.

They are weak compared to russians in terms of technology. My latest testrun in my Domino edit shows that clearly, where I ended up with a 1779/15 S/D ratio after clearing 8 main targets, some side missions, and recaps solo in a 30 hour testgame. The only times they had the upper hand was during bad weather, where they could shoot me through fog and rain and I couldn't see anything. Now I was actually cheating quite a bit, being able to produce tank and crew on the fly as I needed it, but I think I only lost 5 tanks during that period killing 122 myself.

That experience tells me two things:

1) The opfor forces are too weak.

2) Something bad with the mission design.

Answers as they appear to me at least:

1) They're supposed to be weak. This is all about assymetric warfare where we have the upper hand in techs, and they have the upper hand in numbers. So this is just where it is supposed to be.

2) So clearly there is something wrong with my mission since I'm able to rape them so thoroughly. If I'm going for tank warfare, I need to consider more tanks spawning randomly while the fight goes on, to put my tank crews more on the alert, pluss more AT statics scattered around that doesn't show up on radar and have a low thermal signature. But I think I'm going for no MBTs and gunships/jet fighters at all, and have a Bradley crew instead as only "tank" support, and maybe rid it of TI based on handledamage EH (only the spotter on the sniper team has the other TI capability). TI against AI is quite nuts given the powers about TI and AIs no understanding of what it is - not even trying to hide or turn off their engines. Without ACE damage models going on, I can go for less armor (versus full or none), and still present a challenge to the players.

A mission has to be challenging to be fun imho, and there are limits to how many AI we can present to the players (server load). Maybe put in more defenses around the radio tower with more frequent airdrops. A non challenging mission is just a boring turkeyshoot, not my kind of game.

So the question isn't about the opposition being too weak (because they are supposed to be), but rather how to make missions that are still challenging even if they are too weak. And frankly, that is a challenge in itself, I have to admit.

I rather they bring more OpFors [Terrorists] other than always depending on Russian

Even though they were Communist and strongest country last time [soviet Union]

Why not Egyptian forces? Check their inventory. It's mostly just a repaint issue as most of their equipment is already in the game, on either side. Put US Army and USMC as main BLUFOR, and Egypt as main OPFOR. Could be interesting if you hear a turbine based MBT, that is is not guaranteed that it is BLUFOR :)

Pleasssss bring the Russian army back in the game. The current opposition is to weak.

Launch Combined Ops. Problem solved.

Why are people whining even when they have the upper hand?

You might want to join this thread here, too.

Then let's see who whines when he gets ass raped by the players on the opfor side.

The OA setting is about assimetric warfare. If one would make a mission where you would have to find and kill insurgents or low tech enemies you would fight in night time and not in daytime.

btw. AI shooting through smoke or fog or something else and when they even see you through walls and shoot before you arrive at the corner to peek is kind of a bug and not a feature. You would see them with IR.

Why bring the Russians back? They have been in every BIS game so far, i'm getting tired of that. Hopefully the next evolution of ArmA will be against the Chinese, or even the United States vs *random european country here* or anything else other than the Russians or the Takiban.

the takiban have their own strengths, especially in PVP. The blufor relies too much on their technology in pvp, which can easily be fooled by clever thinking. (i.e. turning of the engine of your t-34 or whatever and ambushing lightly armored vechicles and hummers.) I like the russians and all, and i love to play with them all the time, but you cannot expect BIS to port every army for every standalone EXPANSION. Just buy the original A2 and use the KSOR addon if you really want the russians that bad.

Hell, if you want an uncommon enemy just throw in the Ukranian Army, I swear they must be planning something inside their borders, they are so quiet ;)

...strongest country...

This has more to do with Russia being the "Bad guy" in so many games than politics does, though China would make an interesting foe too. I just wonder if BIS is willing to go where CM has already trodden...

just wonder if BIS is willing to go where CM has already trodden...

Hey, BIS could most likely do it better ;)

bring them back, but as allies. love to see russia vs afganistan 2

love to see russia vs afganistan 2

Simple, Independent milita vs. Russian units

If the Russians came back, I'd like to see them on Independent side. In Afghan right now, the Russians have air assets protecting ISAF forces. It followed on from letting Coalition aircraft to reach Afghan through Russian Airspace. I'm not sure if it still continues but some planes leaving RAF Brize Norton used to go that way, although I've heard more about the Cyprus pit stop nowadays.

At least with them on Independent, they could be with BLUFOR, OPFOR or doing their own thing.

The Russians never left Arma 2, so it's a bit silly to want them "back".

Why bring the Russians back? They have been in every BIS game so far, i'm getting tired of that.

I take it you never played Armed Assault.

interesting post. for those with both arma2 and arma2OA a question - do russians have the thermal 'colors' on their units and vehicles?

The Russians never left Arma 2, so it's a bit silly to want them "back".

I take it you never played Armed Assault.

I could have sworn the Russians came in at the end. Crap. The heat is getting to me. :butbut:

Why bring the Russians back? They have been in every BIS game so far, i'm getting tired of that. Hopefully the next evolution of ArmA will be against the Chinese, or even the United States vs *random european country here* or anything else other than the Russians or the Takiban.

For the Chinese they are available in ACE.

I want to see more European countries actually. The French, German and

Israeli Vs Hizbollah :rolleyes:

I would like to see REAL Russian Army. Not that unrealisticly equiped Task Force that was about to "liberate" Chernarus in ArmA2.

So big idea is: Make second expansion set. No, not DLC. EXPANSION. Ya know, think nearly as big as vanilla.

Give them gear like AK-74M, RPG-7 with PGO sight, RPG-29, MTLB, BTR-80, BMP-2, T-72B(M), T-80BV, T-80U, basically gear commonly used by RF Army. Make it at least in AO standard (Thermals, backpacks). Add mobile artillery like 2S3 Akacya, 2S4 Tyulpan, BM-30 Smerch ("Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl." ;)

Then create full scale campaign, unlike Harvest Red or Arrowhead, revolving around regular combat of combined Russian forcess. Against who? Americans? Why not. New side like Bundeswehr, IDF or PLA? Even better. Don't ask "why would they fight?" 'cos I don't care much about politics, much less about butthurt people who don't like idea of beign put as oposition. I want epic battles, not beating poorly equiped militias or third world armies. IMHO sending squads of T-90, M1A2, AH-64 or Ka-52 to kill some insurgents is like using cannon to kill mouse.

I would buy it for sure. I really want to fight old fashion OFP-style WW3. And I would love to play as REAL Russian Federation Army

IMHO sending squads of T-90, M1A2, AH-64 or Ka-52 to kill some insurgents is like using cannon to kill mouse.

Too bad you dont realize we do in Reality aswell......

Sure, but the penalty for doing a mistake can be death, not respawn or change into a bird while watching the rest go down. When tanks come in and do all the dirtywork leaving nothing for us humble infantrymen, then fun is gone.