Sign in to follow this  
=kct=blackmamba

ARMA 2: OA Beta 72716 is up

@pchaxor:

No problem running heavily modified version of Domination here. Both client and server running this beta.

Can you try the version I specified and see if you have the same issues?

This is the ACE version btw .. maybe something with ACE mods...

Tried a diff version...

[4043,49.181,0,"MISSINIT","co@30_Domination_2_28A2_West_R_ACE_OA","Takistan",true,true,true]

2010/08/14, 12:34:26 [4043,51.427,0,"XEH: PreInit Finished"]

2010/08/14, 12:34:26 Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVoice.Male01DE'.

2010/08/14, 12:34:26 Warning Message: No entry '.identityTypes'.

2010/08/14, 12:34:26 Warning Message: Size: '/' not an array

Reverted back to an older beta and all is well.

Since the Missions are from the same coding, my guess is that something changed in the beta\dta bin.pbo that no longer works with XENO's missions.

Edited by pchaxor

In the meantime you may push your alt key (free-look) while commanding. Just don't select your fourth unit while doing this. :D

It won't help. Pushing alt key means "watch the direction"

Also artillery fire missions are no longer voiced.

In AA2 there were full dialogues for them - now it's "Over" "Out" "Over" "Out" while subtitles show A LOT OF text. And I have CO meaning that everything needed for fully voiced dialogues is there. BIS gotta fix this too

While I'm loving this beta, I believe the recoil is a bit exaggerated again.. Could be one of my many mods though.. :\

The only bad against a world of good! Increased visuals at the same speed. awesome. This word also includes the shadows...

Edited by Scrub

Yes to add to my previous post. I don't mod this game, always been vanilla. The only change recently is this patch and I've been experiencing more crashes now unfortunately. Before with one of the old beta patches I only experienced one CTD with the bear rising mission, otherwise I was crash free. :( performance seems to be dropping more too. It's just never consistent, even if I turn the view distance down to 6000. I'm beginning to think about shelving this product until it becomes an actual quality releasable sim.

I'm noticing too many details missing which I would have thought after some 10 years of this company working on iterations of this material on the same engine that they would have streamlined their design process. I would have created a checklist for each item in game to go through and verify that it was completed and working prior to launch... example....

"tank" apply- M1A1

[ ]turning properties

[ ]suspension properties

[ ]speed properties

[ ]damage modeling

[ ]visual modeling

[ ]visual animation modeling

[ ]position switching

[ ]driver position mount/dismount area

[ ]driver position in/out

[ ]driver position viewpoints

[ ]commander position mount/dismoint area

[ ]commander position in/out

[ ]commander position viewpoints

[ ]commander aim attributes

[ ]commander weapon loads

[ ]commander weapon recoil

[ ]commander weapon shell expulsion

[ ]gunner position mount/dismount area

[ ]gunner position in/out

[ ]gunner position viewpoints

[ ]gunner aim attributes

[ ]gunner weapon loads

[ ]gunner weapon recoil

[ ]gunner weapon shell expulsion

...... this was after a few minutes of thought. After so many years you would have your checklists so detailed and refined that you could ensure every detail was marked off on every new piece of content. I know you have a team of different people working on seperate content at the same time and some people probably aren't as detailed as others so they need a checklist to follow.

It seems like the developers are too worried about making the game run for everybody, instead of being able to focus on making the game what is was meant to be. Something is wrong here.

You can do this for all elements of the game.

developers are too worried about making the game run for everybody

Uhh, huh? Aren't that the biggest concern for all developers?

@pchaxor:

Sorry, unable to. I haven't even downloaded ACE yet. I want to finish my mission (Domination edit) for vanilla first. If I download now, I'll just get too agitated to work :p Also I'll let others make up the noise on the ACE tracker this time.

@ NeoHazard

A lot of the time things that are seemingly unrelated in code, or related in ways not known to a certain programmer, will affect eachother. This means that one can't just say that one should go through checklist X when having tinkered with Y.

They'd practically have to go through half the game when making any changes to the engine or inheriting configs to cover the checklist, so it isn't really feasible.

Sure, some areas are more or less likely to be affected, but it is still a way too great scope to be feasible for BETA patches.

Also, of course they are trying to make it run for everybody. Shouldn't the game run at all first, before tinkering with the polish?

Hi all,

Im confused of how this is ment to install, do i just copy the files over the current OA server as there is no excutable to install it with, do it have it within the expansion/beta folder and just change the shortcuts to run the beta exe server file?

A question, this patch removes the selection of empty objects on the editor or I just broken my arma? :s

put a player unit firts.

Jajaja, primero tenés que ponerte de player y después te aparece empty, siempre fue así.

I am also unable to get the beta working with Combined Operations. I'm able to make ACE/ACRE/etc work, but as soon as I add my (Steam-installed) A2 directory, no dice.

put a player unit firts.

Jajaja, primero tenés que ponerte de player y después te aparece empty, siempre fue así.

ah! mira vos, gracias :) Traduzco por las dudas :rolleyes:

Translation: Thanks! :p

[72701] New: getWeaponCargo, getMagazineCargo,

getmagazinecargo? does that let you tell how many bullets are in a magazine? if so that'd be an awesome addition!

@ NeoHazard

A lot of the time things that are seemingly unrelated in code, or related in ways not known to a certain programmer, will affect eachother. This means that one can't just say that one should go through checklist X when having tinkered with Y.

They'd practically have to go through half the game when making any changes to the engine or inheriting configs to cover the checklist, so it isn't really feasible.

Sure, some areas are more or less likely to be affected, but it is still a way too great scope to be feasible for BETA patches.

Also, of course they are trying to make it run for everybody. Shouldn't the game run at all first, before tinkering with the polish?

I wonder if the game will ever be truly polished. Base Arma 2 still isn't polished. Arma 3 will probably be around in 2 or 3 years maybe whilst hardware will just be coming out that can run the current application.

It's all good, I seem to be able to play the warfareBE mission on zargabad pretty well so far. Although those mission restrict visibility to 4000 tops which is significantly less than I was playing at.

I am also unable to get the beta working with Combined Operations. I'm able to make ACE/ACRE/etc work, but as soon as I add my (Steam-installed) A2 directory, no dice.

Ummm... you can't run ANY mods or addons when using betas

getmagazinecargo? does that let you tell how many bullets are in a magazine? if so that'd be an awesome addition!

No, it doesn't. You just get the number of magazines per type (which is allready better than nothing

and I guess it will take some time to get there: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/getMagazineCargo_(VBS2)) :))

I've removed the newest beta patch again after having several CTDs and even a BSOD.

No problem with 418. But hey, the newest one has some experimental features so no problem.

Xeno

Ummm... you can't run ANY mods or addons when using betas

Sure you can, just don't give feedback while running mods. :rolleyes:

Thanks... I figured out that it was the mission compatibility with the newer beta code.

Xeno will fix it in due time, but for now I will just run the odler beta that works with the mission, until the mission makers can catch up to some of the new stuff getting added into the game code.

There is just an obvious incompatibility.

Edited by pchaxor

This... from page 1

TCMalloc is this. Hopefully it could give a better performance or stability in some situations than the previous one we have used (which was JEMalloc).

This beta is a significant step forward on my system - much smoother gameplay and it permits use of higher detail terrain and models without any loss in performance.

My experience is very similar to that of Das Attorney, perhaps hardare platform is playing a part here, I'm on core i7 on X58 with triple channel DDR3.

sprit: Interesting, I too have also lost a few FPS on the counter, but the overall experience is a noticeable improvement - much smoother.

In scenario 2 there appears to be far more visible & audible effects too, so although the counter says 3 FPS less the overall effect is very positive.

metalcraze: star on the numpad also enables freelook, you could try that.

NeoHazard: mate we are the QA team for the betas - that is exactly the reason BIS make them available, to allow you to actively partake in the process. It means you get to shape the game, where else do you get that kind of development & support?

A number of the posters run very thorough checks and provide detailed feedback. You have the choice about being pro-active instead of whinging about it - formulate a checklist and share it and the test results for everyone's benefit.

Protegimus

No, it doesn't. You just get the number of magazines per type (which is allready better than nothing

and I guess it will take some time to get there: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/getMagazineCargo_(VBS2)) :))

Xeno

thanks for the clarification. looking at the pages you referenced guess we'll need magazinesEx for the bullet count (a very sought after function for many years by arma modders)

So far so good, but I can't wait until the M14 gets fixed.

Yes, how can this not have been fixed yet? This is top-priority as it essentially makes a weapon completely ineffective. :popup:

Besides that you're doing an excellent job, BI. (: