Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality - WIP Discussion

The Brit weapons sound great, but the ak's sound "dead".

Agreed. Already posted in a comment on the dev-blog.

AKs sound too dry, PKM sounds too soft. I cant believe that military advisors agree that a PKM sounds so round and soft. It lacks a bang to it. Show me a gun that does not make a BANG.

Or probably they just heard the actual sample and not the in-game sound. ARMA2 sound engine is a bitch to handle and ingame sounds always are different from a "clean wave file".

On the whole they're to the rather decent standard of Arma 2 Soundmods, I'm a total fruitcake for the awesome sounds of the UKF L115 and CSM UKF soundmods, so I suppose I was never going to be won from the start to be so fair

UK_Force;1852039']Thats really strange because these sounds are unique and real' date=' and have been implemented by a professional sound artist we have on the team.

We have not gone down the route of "overloading" these sounds for the game to make them sound "uber, awesome, etc, etc".

ps. Chammy is a PR Contributor for BF2.[/quote']

Im a pr player since 0.3, i play the arma series since opf1 release.

AND i play with chammys soundmod since arma1 beta version.

You can face it,

the gunsounds when firing your weapon is wrong in chammys mod. And in pr the devs want make it real with real recordings and stuff.

But the problem here is to find in the limited arma sound enginge.

Chammy never tried to make shooting your gun sounds real in my eyes.

I preffer chammys soundmod because he creates the most realistic mid/long distance firefight sounds. The click clack of the bullets the echo of the dump shots, the impacts and so on.

Someone try to make realistic gunsounds for a soundmod, others try to make the battle itself will sound real.

Personally i go with 2nd (more overall immersion).

Check outro of this vid or look the whole vid, to hear some impressive ingame firefights.

M9AW6d-14kk

or this one

9Si1hQaaPlg

@ACE vs PR

useless debatte in my eyes

2 diffrent mods with diffrent content and diffrent goals.

ace

is a complete overhaul of arma with new content, functions and editorupdates, to make the game more simulation and less game.

Its not limited and everyone can use anything in the editor to make coop, pvp whatever missions.

pr

is a closed supported pvp gameplay mod which includes faction specific new units, sounds and stuff. BUT the biggeest part is the changed gameplay withe the new teamwork elements we know from prbf2 (which turned the bf2 arcade party into a solid military game.) packed into the right gamemodes and maps with only the necessary hud and function used.

I would like to see some ingame footage of your test sessions to see how the gameplay is. I've only seen some BF2 YT videos (don't have BF2) of PR.

Any chance we will see that soon as I'm not interested in british vehicles but more in how the gameplay is ?

Xeno

I really suggest you to get a cheap copy of bf2 or borrow a friends game somewhere, then go 2 days play it unmodded (you will hate it!), then get latest pr and see how it changed anything. (you dont need compare it to arma) But then you know what they try to get done with pr for arma.

@ back to the pr mod itself:

Keep it up! Cant await to get my hands on it. But dont rush it, keep the quality standards of PRbf2 but use the not so limited engine of arma to get rid of most workarounds and hardcoed features in the bf2 engine.

Edited by Pain0815

No offense, but I really don't find those firearms sounds to be realistic.

Judging from my real life experience this is what an AK should sound like (watch in 480p)

kwMmhSWRu3Q&hd=1

Edited by Shinz

The problem with those videos is that whatever is used for recording can't really capture all frequencies properly for such loud sounds. But anyway this guy is a pretty good shot if that's really 230 yards 100% ;)

The problem with those videos is that whatever is used for recording can't really capture all frequencies properly for such loud sounds. But anyway this guy is a pretty good shot if that's really 230 yards 100% ;)

It's a natural attribute (if you grew up in the country) to be able toshoot a gun (well). And as for the sound issue, well where as I can appreciate profextionist (yea I cannot spell that word) When your playing (ArmA) and your trying to NOT die, it doesn't seem to make a LOT of differance.

Still I can appreciate ALL the hard work being put into this puppy. Any idea when it might see light?

Sound wise you're never going to end up with the 'perfect result', the sound of a gunshot is affected by so many variables that what sounds right in the open sounds totally wrong in a forest, what sounds right in a city sounds wrong in an apartment block, y'need something like the old HARCP project to be able to make the 'right' gunshot sound

bf2 sound engine was good though. The way it could simulate close and distance battles still amazes me today.

A2 just cant match that sound engine, so no matter how good the samples, the engine just cant use them as well.

bf2 sound engine was good though. The way it could simulate close and distance battles still amazes me today.

A2 just cant match that sound engine, so no matter how good the samples, the engine just cant use them as well.

Totally agree here, the ArmA Sound engine is a strange one indeed.

Any plans for releasing an update or something soon? :) Gets kinda boring watching this thread for like 10 times a day without anything happening. ^^

Any plans for releasing an update or something soon? :) Gets kinda boring watching this thread for like 10 times a day without anything happening. ^^

your real answer is: do something else than watching this thread

Well, if you want faster updates, donate some chicks, food, money, new PC's, new houses and what ever else they need and you will get your updates.

:D

I agree

Here is a chick to keep you company.

chick2.jpg

-k

all sounds in game like mouse-trap. Accuracy need to be lower as well.

Now to kill someone in game from 200-300m no problem at all.Sometimes you getting every bullet from 500m and even 1000m

Russian tanks sound

m1a1

reality_studios_podcast_header_podcast1.png

Welcome to the first official Reality Studios Podcast! Due to the huge thirst for information revolving around PR: ArmA2, we decided to create a Podcast for the Community.

The whole community was asked over a 2 week period to ask any questions they wanted answering in relation to PR: ArmA2.

The team then sat down to answer all these questions about the highly anticipated upcoming PR: ArmA2 modification release for the retail ArmA II PC game. The topics covered a huge range from how game play is being altered and what new game modes you can expect to see, to detailed insights on what various new weapons and vehicles will be available.

wa0AjAl1Rmw

To compliment the video, we have also provided a direct link so you can chose to download this Podcast and play it through an MP3 Player, or simply at your own leisure.

The Reality Studios team comprises a group of dedicated individuals from all over the world, several of whom have backgrounds in armed services. There are currently three projects in simultaneous development; a modification for Battlefield 2, a modification for ArmA 2 and also a standalone game currently called Project Reality 2. The main focus of all our projects is to produce the most realistic, team oriented, online gaming experience available.

We hope you enjoy the Podcast, and more importantly hope you find it informative. You can be assured we plan to run further Podcasts in the future for all areas of Reality Studios, so be sure to stay tuned in to the Project Reality website for more updates and news. Cheers!

- Reality Studios Team

Well Im sure this project is great and one of the best but I doubt we will be able to see it this year. Its like a never ending story.

Its like a never ending story.

I hope thats the general idea of the mod. I want of course want it to be perfect for PVP in arma. But this comes with time and paitence from everyone.

It's only March, my friend.

Considering your the guy in the podcast, it seems you might be dropping a rather large hint :-D

Hmmmm, micro terrain, new destruction, and tight MP playstyle.....cant wait!

Shame about the inability for new animations, if they ever loosen them up in a future engine it'd be most welcome. Did they say they made 15,000 (!) new animations for BF:PR :eek:

Maybe they can "adjust" the hit animations to give some sort of reaction to being shot (crosses fingers)

Edited by froggyluv

Sounds great, cant wait also. Sounds like one of the Devs is from good old Lancashire.

Project Reality - Strategy Meeting - 20/03/2011.

Last night the PR team held an epic 3 1/2 hour meeting to discuss a lot of things within the team, and take a good look at our Release Plan.

One thing that came to light was that at present our weakest area - and the main problem holding us back is the import/config process.

Mainly working with the model.cfg.

We now have a backlog of work in this area, and its not moving as we would like.

If there are any Community members out there who would like to assist in this area and be a part of the Project Reality team, please, please feel free to get in touch with me.

Likewise if you know of anyone out there that may be interested, point them this way.

We have a great team, great gameplay, great models etc, but a lack of skilled importers to make the magic happen.

In the meantime, and due to the above - we have reassessed what we believe to be a priority list of assets to release in v0.1, and once we have confirmed this - I will ensure an update is sent out ....... we do intend to release however in the next 2 months or so.

Thank you

Edited by Craig.Turner