Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality - WIP Discussion

I'd like to know this too as if there's one beefed up faction versus a PoS faction, then nobody will want to PvP, which is the focus of PR IIRC.

Well new Taliban guys would be a cool addition all-around. Seems to be something no one's touched since BIS released OA, as well.

Uk Force,

Do you plan to have any gore/blood/gibs?

There is a mod called SLX, that had a simple, but reasonably effective gib system, it would be nice if that was taken to the next level.

regards,

Ahmed.

Are there any solid plans for creating an opposing force to go up against these fine British vehicles? I'm really curious to at least read what ideas you are all considering.

Well in their game play highlight reel I did see some custom looking insurgent types, but I'm no spokesman so don't take my word. Go check out the video and you'll see what I mean.

That's like saying BIS made a good military simulator, so if they made an action-arcade shooter, say similar to COD, that it would be GODLIKE and flawless.

No it's not, but you're entitled to being wrong.

Abs

(PS: If BIS made an action-arcade shooter, I'd buy it. Think about it, Marek.)

No it's not, but you're entitled to being wrong.

I think you misinterpreted the entirety of the actual content to that post I made...

I think you misinterpreted the entirety of the actual content to that post I made...

Perhaps. In which case I'm entitled to be wrong. ;)

Abs

Will we be able to use the units in OA or PR:Arma 2 only? I meant using the units to make missions etc. in OA not PR.

Will we be able to use the units in OA or PR:Arma 2 only? I meant using the units to make missions etc. in OA not PR.

No, you wont. I'm no dev but I'm pretty sure you won't.

I don't see why or how you would stop people being able to use them in the editor?

The "how" is easy - easily circumvented, but easy enough to do to stop 95% of people using them - set their scope to private in the unit config.

The "why" is not mine to explain.

If we can't use default models from BIS in PR:A2 then it would be a pretty sad mod to use, honestly.

I don't see why or how you would stop people being able to use them in the editor?

NOOOOOOOOOO

:(

I wanted to use them and fuck around in the editor. :(

If that route is used, very few in this community will touch it, although PR has its own community, so they don't really need us (us as in community members who play MP) anyways. PR fanboys claim that this mod will bring thousands of people to ArmA.

If that route is used, very few in this community will touch it, although PR has its own community, so they don't really need us (us as in community members who play MP) anyways. PR fanboys claim that this mod will bring thousands of people to ArmA.

If it's as simple as writing a config making them visible in the editor, I'm sure the community will be able to overcome that oversight by the PR team. I for one would love to use that Mastiff 2 on some ops on Chill_XL's Tora Bora.

Still curious if the OPFOR will just be the default Takistani Locals or if they're going to make new Taliban models? :confused:

If we can't use default models from BIS in PR:A2 then it would be a pretty sad mod to use, honestly.

What I meant is that you probably won't be able to use the PR models in other online ArmA 2 missions than PR missions.

ArmA 2 models might however be used in PR as placeholders.

But as I said earlier, I'm not 100% sure, I'm just pretty sure after reading posts that devs have made in this thread.

Edited by Twonk_Strilo

What I meant is that you probably won't be able to use the PR models in other online ArmA 2 missions than PR missions.

ArmA 2 models might however be used in PR as placeholders.

But as I said earlier, I'm not 100% sure, I'm just pretty sure after reading posts that devs have made in this thread.

I don't get the gigantic plinth raising reaction to these statements (actually, I do, it's well made PR for P:R) It's a mod just as much as Inv44 is a mod and ACE is a mod and FDF is a mod and so on and so forth. It just happens to have more focus on the gameplay modification than straight content

The simplest inference is The entire mod will be supplied as a package, not parted up in to individual vehicle and unit and weapon packs, with compatibility issues if used with other large mods like ACE, and so having to download and run a huge mod just to use a few units in a mission won't be worth the hassle

I'm personally a fan of the trickle down approach (unit and weapon packs and the like), gets work out there faster and more feedback from the off, but I'm not one to argue with another's decision, and I can see the positives of doing it this way a well

Exactly, I don't see why people are getting so shocked about my post now. :S

This was stated when the mod first got announced.

If you ask me, who's been playing ArmA 2 for a pretty long time, I like this concept. At the moment I'm playing without mods because it's to annoying to restart the game every time you want to join a certain server. And I usually just play on servers that doesn't require mods.

So, to make it short, to me this concept looks promising. I can simply join a PR server, without worrying that I've got a mod that's not allowed or that I'm missing a mod, and enjoy what I like about the actual core mod.

Another thing that I like about the PR team is that they send out large updates once every quarter, half year, e.t.c. Unlike some mods, that can be really good mods content wise, that releases patches each and other day. Which results in some favorite servers to be up to date, and some favorite servers to be on one or some times even two patches behind.

I've played PR for BF2 for many years too, and I really like what they've done there compared to original BF2 (which I rarely touch anymore). So call me a PR fanboy if you want to :P Anyhow, I like what they did there, and that increases my expectations for this mod. The first patch might not be super awesome, but give it time. PR:BF2 v0.1 wasn't even close to what PR:BF2 v0.95 is.

Edited by Twonk_Strilo

Project Reality, as has been said many times before will be released as a full stand alone Mod, within its own core - and not as an addon, to that end:

Project Reality will not support the use of its assets in any other third party modification / addon / mission. Therefore no guarantee can or will be made for people using PR assets for this purpose and nor will questions be supported in our feedback threads.

The reason for this is so the development team can concentrate on official bugs regarding Project Reality within the core, and not issues that arise through trying to make assets work through other ArmA2 modifications. The use of Project Reality assets in general will also be covered in our EULA on its release

Exactly, I don't see why people are getting so shocked about my post now. :S

This was stated when the mod first got announced.

If you ask me, who's been playing ArmA 2 for a pretty long time, I like this concept. At the moment I'm playing without mods because it's to annoying to restart the game every time you want to join a certain server. And I usually just play on servers that doesn't require mods.

So, to make it short, to me this concept looks promising. I can simply join a PR server, without worrying that I've got a mod that's not allowed or that I'm missing a mod, and enjoy what I like about the actual core mod.

Another thing that I like about the PR team is that they send out large updates once every quarter, half year, e.t.c. Unlike some mods, that can be really good mods content wise, that releases patches each and other day. Which results in some favorite servers to be up to date, and some favorite servers to be on one or some times even two patches behind.

I've played PR for BF2 for many years too, and I really like what they've done there compared to original BF2 (which I rarely touch anymore). So call me a PR fanboy if you want to :P Anyhow, I like what they did there, and that increases my expectations for this mod. The first patch might not be super awesome, but give it time. PR:BF2 v0.1 wasn't even close to what PR:BF2 v0.95 is.

Essentially the same as ACE2, which is understandable in like you said how it keeps everything working properly, however the angle they are coming from is more of a content base.

Take for example the Mastiff, post PR release some content such as it could be released outside the mod but in a basic form and not supported after, PR doesn't have to support and fix problems, more people get to be happy to use the vehicle whenever they want, everyone wins.

Not here to argue, just shedding light in case the message is misunderstood.

Edited by NodUnit

It isn't really that much different than Rock's position on his stuff.

Essentially the same as ACE2, which is understandable in like you said how it keeps everything working properly, however the angle they are coming from is more of a content base.

Which is not correct.

ACE is not and never was a content mod. Of course we have a lot of additional assets (weapons, vehicles, etc) but our main goal is to enhance the game in any aspect.

That's why it is a full conversation mod which touches everything that is available in A2 and OA, adds additional content and, one of our main goals, adds many many features which are not available in vanilla OA:

http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Features

Vehicles and units do not change the game and add just additional content. It's what's going on behind the scenes what is important for us and where we put the most effort into.

And our system is flexible enough for 3rd party content creators to make their addons easily compatible.

The difference compared to PR is that we don't focus on one game mode. ACE for example is used to play large PvP tournaments with ~100 players (Edit: actually the last time it was 117 players in one PvP tournament) but also Coop with up to 60+ players

And of course almost all existing missions are playable with ACE too.

While our main focus is MP (we put a lot of work into optimizing whatever is possible, specially for MP, thousands of hours went into this) we also take care that ACE can be used in Single player.

On topic:

I would like to see some ingame footage of your test sessions to see how the gameplay is. I've only seen some BF2 YT videos (don't have BF2) of PR.

Any chance we will see that soon as I'm not interested in british vehicles but more in how the gameplay is ?

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

I didn't see anything on it, so I was wondering will it be possible to use PR and it's features in your own single player missions? Will the AI be able to use them as well? Or is this strictly MP only?

UK_Force;1835043']Project Reality' date=' as has been said many times before will be released as a full stand alone Mod, within its own [b']core[/b] - and not as an addon, to that end:

Am i one of the few that understands this ? This means that you can do whatever you want with the Assets in PR but you cant expect to get any SUPPORT or HELP for implementing it in your own Missions or running it for example with ACE. The Devs just simply dont have the time to provide support for any other Add-on compability?

ACE for example is used to play large PvP tournaments with ~100 players

Do you mind to let me know where this happens? As far as I know AGW is the biggest tournament for Arma and they don´t use it.