Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality - WIP Discussion

Bullets should go to where the barrel points, like they do now. If you want to simulate untrained soldier then add sway, and even that should be very minimal because your "lack of training" IRL doesn't really cause a significant lack of ability to hit stuff, especially if you already have the theoretical knowledge needed to operate the weapon.

I'd glady Pay for PR...I mean I already paid for BAF...haha PR will surpass anything that BIS releases in terms of DLC for the future

Save that for PR2.

Regarding the island, the town looks awesome, but is the hill/mountain going to remain as plain as it is now? Currently it seems like there is absolutely no cover for someone moving in on the village from the top of the hill/mountain.

Also, you may want to set your view distance to maximum when taking screenshots, even if you drop to 1 FPS it's not like anyone can see your FPS in the screenshot ;)

About picking up enemy weapons, please don't go too crazy on this. Giving a lot of sway to someone because "he's not a trained sniper" is silly, because the main skill of the sniper is not putting the sights on target (that is pretty damn easy, at least at the prone position with a bipod), but rather actually adjusting for range (and wind IRL but that can't be implemented realistically in the game) so that the bullet hits where you're aiming the sights. Also I bet if one is trained to use an M16 he shouldn't have a hard time holding an AK-47 steady. Bottom line is I hope PR doesn't go excessive on this in the name of balance and in the expense of realism.

Bullet drop comes as standard,wind comes with ACE...

I'd glady Pay for PR...I mean I already paid for BAF...haha PR will surpass anything that BIS releases in terms of DLC for the future

now i wouldn't go that far.

To be honest I find sway horrible feeling in game.I would rather they cut sway in half and added in some dispersion.When your breathing comes down to semi-normal then dispersion is what the rifle itself has.Would work better than deviation in PR:BF2 since the breathing easily signals when your hands are steady.

The rifles in the game have their dispersion more or less correct (some specific weapons could use some extra tweaking but overall it's not at all far from RL values). I don't want to use a weapon that has 1 MOA accuracy with military ammo, put my sights on target, and have the bullets hit 3 MOA to the left and 2 MOA down from where I was aiming (if of course I was zeroed to that range and there's no wind).

Representing a lack of the shooter's ability to hit by making the bullets randomly spread around is a thing of the past (though arcade shooters still seem to use this simplified system, because, well, they're arcade). Arma 2 can do a lot better than that - Including an improvement to the current sway system.

Edited by galzohar

The rifles in the game have their dispersion more or less correct (some specific weapons could use some extra tweaking but overall it's not at all far from RL values). I don't want to use a weapon that has 1 MOA accuracy with military ammo, put my sights on target, and have the bullets hit 3 MOA to the left and 2 MOA down from where I was aiming (if of course I was zeroed to that range and there's no wind).

Representing a lack of the shooter's ability to hit by making the bullets randomly spread around is a thing of the past (though arcade shooters still seem to use this simplified system, because, well, they're arcade). Arma 2 can do a lot better than that - Including an improvement to the current sway system.

exactly the way i feel...

PR:BF2 Deviation = weapon sway, ArmA has weapon sway so PR:ArmA will not have excessive deviation like PR:BF2.

Edited by gazzthompson

You have to wonder that after a long run the weapon looks like your character is having a seizure and dispersion added in after a certain point with no more sway would look and feel better.I see you mentioning a reduction in amount of sway so that might cure what ails me.Problem is when prone your sway is very little and firing after each shot is just place dot on enemy/fire/repeat.IMO a tiny bit deviation(dispersion)that dissipates after a second or two would feel better.

Anything that PR team does will most likely be excellent so I have high faith.

This is NOT TRUE with the latest Patch!

They added Recoil/Weapon Kickback

Here is a Video but it is not that strong in A2 OA anymore ;) (Video is from first Beta with Kickback)

Z-vMJPqbA_M

A small update just to show something that the Devs work on during breaks from the PR Core Dev work.

Here is an example of a small cell terrain (small cell = takistan 10 meter detail between cells Example shown = 1 meter) , we have trialed a 1m cell size terrain and Beta testers are currently doing some small trials, we are trying to ascertain whether or not it is feasible for the average machine to run a highly detailed terrain with smooth fps in MP, this allows for us to better simulate natural cover between objectives rather than relying on manually placed objects.

This is likely to be investigated further post V.01 and if found to be acceptable we hope to implenet some good unit based missions.

1BHpSDtM_Hc

Looks pretty shit hot, this is the sort of stuff that drives the game forwards as a whole and really makes the idea of smaller islands/maps alá shapur and the like more welcoming, with their own benefits rather than just being like the bigger maps, only smaller

Nice trenches. There seems to be a lot of texture stretching from the projection on the steep areas. For the final release you ought to relax the ends of the trench where you will be viewing them from inside from a longer distance. It will serve to hide the streaking a bit. You can also try to hide it with clutter.

Nice trenches. There seems to be a lot of texture stretching from the projection on the steep areas. For the final release you ought to relax the ends of the trench where you will be viewing them from inside from a longer distance. It will serve to hide the streaking a bit. You can also try to hide it with clutter.

It is only a proof of concept at this stage, not even at alpha stage yet ;)

UK_Force;1773360']It is only a proof of concept at this stage' date=' not even at alpha stage yet ;)[/quote']

It's also proof that something truly awesomesauce is cooking!

I didn't notice any texture stretching, even after you pointed it out.

Also, the riverbed definitely needs more clutter, dead trees, washed up logs, etc.

The terrain stuff look awesome. My problem with A2 islands have always been that the terrain is too "plain", and you seem to be in the right direction to making this a non-issue or at least much better than it is with most current islands. Even if it means all/some islands will have to be smaller, so be it, at least we'll get gameplay that we can't have on any other island.

I have to say I don't like the fact you can use the M240 like you do in the video. All you have to do is pick one up IRL and you'll see why ;)

UK_Force;1773360']It is only a proof of concept at this stage' date=' not even at alpha stage yet ;)[/quote']

It was tried in OFP (was called InfantryRange). It almost burnt:computer: my PC . Hope it's possible in ArmA2.

A "light" version could be an option for testing too. Just curious how many AI's got lost in those trenches during first tests?

Btw deanosbeano did some tinkering with dynamic terrain in the past but it never made it into public beta/final release. Try to influence, convince or tickle him to release all of his hidden stuff... ;)

Well I hope AI isnt the determining factor since this will be developed for player vs player game types.

I have to say I don't like the fact you can use the M240 like you do in the video. All you have to do is pick one up IRL and you'll see why ;)

You don't even need access to the actual weapon to see why (or rather, feel why). The thing ways 11-13kg. Try holding up a 10kg dumbbell at "shouldered" height for more than 30 seconds. Now imagine trying to do that repeatedly while in combat, after you walked/ran for several miles with 35+ kg of additional gear at 40 degrees Celsius. That part needs tweaking imo.

Edited by JdB

Btw deanosbeano did some tinkering with dynamic terrain in the past but it never made it into public beta/final release. Try to influence, convince or tickle him to release all of his hidden stuff... ;)

I will give you 1 guess who is working on this then..........;)