Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality - WIP Discussion

The whole "Leak" incident has been taken care of, I spent most of yesterday on the phone etc - and there has been a good result, with no Legal Action required in this case.

Big thanks to the BIS Community for the support.

It has not affected the workflow though at all, and we are still on track.

''It has not affected the workflow though at all, and we are still on track.''

Few ! im so glad to hear that, roll on the new videos :)

This is good to hear. :)

It would have been very unfortunate if a single ignorant *INSERT EXPLETIVE* had significantly delayed the project.

Very much looking forward to the September showcase.

Not many tanks are fitted with Arena or similar active protection systems however, Arena may also not cover Javelin's top-attack mode, due to it's kill mechanism.

The T-90 and T-80UM1 are. Both are present in large numbers in the Russian Federation's armed forces. There are also plenty of tanks with the old Shtora system.

Whilst on that topic, a question, actually: In future versions of PR, once more conventional forces (The Russian Federation's army in particular, considering the extreme interest they take in APS and ERA) are in, will things like Kontakt-5 and ARENA actually be simulated in the game?

Edited by Lucan946

Lucan946 egh.. there are only 50-60 tanks with arena or drozd system and there are secretly served near the main strategic objects like Nuke Power Plants etc. And BTW Shtora and Arena are completely different systems. Normal tank should have both.

Lucan946 egh.. there are only 50-60 tanks with arena or drozd system and there are secretly served near the main strategic objects like Nuke Power Plants etc. And BTW Shtora and Arena are completely different systems. Normal tank should have both.

I know that Shtora and Arena are different and fulfill different purposes, but I'd imagine there are some (older) tanks that have Shtora but not ARENA or Drozd?

Also, all T-90s are outfitted with ARENA, and there are a few hundred of them in service.

Could today be video day ? I hope so :)

Maybe today? I hope

UK_Force;1758630']Slight hicup in the Media Department ....... should be out midweek all going well.

As in I screwed up getting the media to the lead web admin in time to get things embedded etc :o

UK_Force;1758747']As in I screwed up getting the media to the lead web admin in time to get things embedded etc :o

Ooops :eek: ! lol

Itll be worth the wait im sure

Sounds nice, but the real test is seeing it in-game, since as far as I understand the actual resulting sound you get in-game will usually be quite different than what was recorded.

NM just noticed at the end of the video you have it also driving away and stuff, nice ;)

I randomly bumped into one of the PR guys a while ago in Chichester down the pub. His name was Mark (I think) and he was out and about with some mutual friends having a few drinks. Seemed like a really sound fella - he was very enthusiastic about the stuff you're all doing. All the best for PR Arma chaps!

will the israeli defense force make it to the arma2:OA version?
there is a possibility. Like said before there is a chance for community factions to contribute to the mod. I'd keep my eye out for those community factions who'd be interested;)

Welcome to the September Edition of the PR: ArmA2 Highlights Reel.

pr_highlights_reel_header.jpg

This month has once again been a busy time for the team, with a lot of outside influences affecting development. Within the Project Reality team we have a lot of serving British Army soldiers, and although we demand realism where possible, we have to realise that this needs to be balanced with the fact that it is also a game that is intended to be enjoyable. We are not a Hardcore Mil Sim and do not claim to be, but we do like to get that balance correct. As you can see we have however made a lot of progress since our last update, some of which is not mentioned here but can be found on our forums.

As promised we are featuring gameplay this month, so here is an introduction to our current gameplay modes:

- Project Reality Gameplay

In PR:ArmaA2 we will be introducing some of the proven modes from PR:BF2, however they will not be exact replications. The ArmA2 engine allows us far more freedoms than the BF2 engine, and this is something we are taking advantage of. Firstly we find the strategy level a lot more intense as this is all based on the real life players decisions. We currently have the following modes:

Assault and Secure (AAS)

Advance and Defend (AAD)

Counter Insurgency (CI)

Command & Control (C&C)

Skirmish

Assault and Secure Overview

AAS is a linked objective mode. The ArmA2 engine now gives us the possibility to design complex and varied size missions. This engine theoretically gives us the possibility of 200 objectives in one mission. For the player it's simple; you just have to follow the attack and defend markers on the map as is currently seen within PR:BF2. Once one side lose or capture objectives, they are switched automatically to the next possible objectives in sequence.

Objectives are sometimes just simple single locations, while others consist of a group of objectives. For your team to advance, you'll have to capture this group of objectives. The size of these objectives can be set up individually and will strongly depend on map design, therefore the size of it will not be predefined as it technically could be 30m, 100m or 300m. Of course, this is all dependent on what the mission designer sets out to achieve.

cTsJ_sWVxXs

Advance and Defend Overview

AAD is very similar to AAS. The main gameplay difference is that in AAS, all sides move from a similar starting position and could attack and defend at the same time, fighting to establish dominance over the opposition. However AAD is one way directional gameplay. One team defends specific points. Once a flag has been taken by the attacking team, they cannot recapture that point and have to fall back to the next defensive location.

Counter Insurgency Overview

CI is based on the PR:BF2 Insurgency mode, where BLUFOR have to find and destroy the enemy's ammo caches.

However in PR:ArmA2 we have added some new features, like gathering information from dead or captured insurgents to reveal ammo cache positions. Insurgents will know also know all the ammo cache locations but they will not know which one has been revealed to BLUFOR. This opens a battle up to strategic chase play and will be an even more deadly game of cat and mouse.

Command & Control Overview

C&C brings new features too. Again as in PR:BF2 you first build your FO (Forward Outpost). But now FO's are flexible, and can be redeployed so as you advance you'll get closer to the enemy main base. As your FO gets closer to the enemy main base, the enemy's ticket count will start to bleed at a higher rate. At the same time you will constantly be attempting to push the enemy back to keep their FO as far from your main base. This gives the player unique situations where the same C&C mission will never play out the same, due to everything being based on Human decisions where each side decide their own frontline by use of the FO's.

In the near future we intend to record a PR Dev Q&A podcast, so stay tuned for details of how to pose your questions to the team.

armour_thumb.jpg convoy_ambush_thumb.jpg cover_fire_thumb.jpg

Edited by Craig.Turner

- Other WIP Work

- FOB (Forward Operating Base)

A lot of time has been spent on creating our own Large scale FOB for the British Army, this will be a main feature on our Map, and almost its own town. The pictures show the sheer size of it, and we are trying to keep it as realisitic as possible, but still in perspective. As you can see however, there is still a lot of the detail to add:

fob_thumb.jpg fob_search_area_thumb.jpg fob_barracks_thumb.jpg

Edited by Craig.Turner