Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality - WIP Discussion

There is no "right" or "wrong" in enjoying ArmA. Variety is the spice of life, correct? ;)

Exactly. I have no problem with PR. My issue comes from the way some PR members have acted towards the community/members of the community. It's possible I am mistaken and these people weren't team members, they were just idiotic fanboys, but the fact is, if they are fanboys, PR needs to reign them in.

It's just fucking amazing how fanboys are signing up to the forums and praising PR as if it's a god, and its going to pull the poor bastards (aka the community) out of the dirt/dark, and shine a light that will show us what proper gameplay is.

Everybody needs to respect one another's opinions, all comes down to this one simple thing.

The last pages of this thread aren't so bad, so let's move on and leave the "fanboys" discussion behind us ;).

Welcome To Part 3 of the PR:ArmA2 Highlights Special week!

pr_highlights_reel_header.jpg

- British Soldiers

One of the things we are keen to ensure accuracy on are the British Forces soldiers, which has caused us to run over our expected timelines. The move across to OA means a lot of config changes and some heavy optimisation is being carried out. Although work is slow, it is ongoing and will be worth it in the end, as optimisation for PvP is paramount.

on_target_thumb.jpg sniper_pair_thumb.jpg acog_optics_thumb.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

- New Realtime Sounds

As some of our community are aware, a field trip was recently run for the PR Sound Dept to spend a week capturing UK Vehicle sounds. The chosen location was the Armour Centre in Bovington. We managed to capture 20 vehicles in total (covering hatches, firing, doors closing as well as various engine sounds), and were joined by BISimulations for the trip. More info about the trip, as well as lots of media, by clicking on the image.

sound_trip.jpg

With over 80 GB of data captured, the Sound Dept need to now run through Post Production, and editing all of these sounds. This will take time as we are sure you can appreciate. You can be assured however they will find their way into PR:ArmA2 once they are ready. In the meantime, a small preview of initial testing carried out on some of the raw files (no where near the final product, and still very WIP). Initial testing however shows the potential of what great sounds can do for immersion these can be heard in the following Testing videos. (Note we have not implemented the Sight patterns either at this stage).

Please adjust your Sound first

IvPSuTDyBF0

4eiNmFOxd5Y

We are already planning the next trip, which will involve the team coming back down for another week, to record UK Small Arms (held on Live Firing ranges). All these sounds will be copyrighted under realitystudios, a commercial branch of Project Reality.

---------- Post added at 07:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

- PR: ArmA2 - Install, set up etc

As we have stated before, we intend to release PR as a complete installer package. One which you can simply install via its own single installer, run with the shortcut provided and instantly join in a Project Reality server, much like the current PR:BF2 system. In this way we can control both client and server files to ensure they match, leaving players with minimal worries about which version they may need. Each release or patch will again be much like PR: BF2 to keep the continuity between the server/client files. We will however provide an additional install package in the form of a compressed file, to manually install, for the users who prefer this method.

A PR:ArmA2 PDF user manual will be provided with every install too, so players can get a better understanding of the dynamic gameplay. This way we can cater for all manner of players, whether you're an ArmA2 veteren or new to the game.

- Recruiting Object Modelers!

The Project Reality Team are still actively recruiting. We are currently seeking a Static Object Modeler to build upon our PR objects pack. Of course if you have any other skill within ArmA2 and would like to help out, please don't hesitate to contact any of the team, or email [R-DEV]UK_Force. Whatever your skill, let us know. We are always recruiting.

As you can see, there is a lot of development still going on in the various development areas, albeit behind closed doors, with a lot more still to do. Stay tuned for Part 4 in a few days, and the final chapter in our Highlights Reel Special!

Wow ! Excellent work chaps :)

Really cannot wait for the first release, this is going to be the muts nuts !!

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

Thanks Rezza.

I have taken the liberty of creating a PR group. http://forums.bistudio.com/group.php?groupid=158

Good idea m8..... joined :)

To be honest I didn't play too much PR in BF2, but I did enjoy what I did play. I can't wait for this to (hopefully) get some good PvP games going in ArmA2. There isn't nearly enough, and what there is is pretty tame compared to most others. Looking forward to this!

a question, exists the possibility of making maps but small, but that are of the quality of korengal valley in bf2. I like that map: d

My issue comes from the way some PR members have acted towards the community/members of the community. It's possible I am mistaken and these people weren't team members, they were just idiotic fanboys, but the fact is, if they are fanboys, PR needs to reign them in.

The PR team - I would hope, are a little more mature than that.

However I have made it clear to the PR community - where I stand too.

My Announcement to the PR Community

So lets move on please now, and if there are any further issues don't hesitate to pm me.

Thank You

here just a random youtube vid with the squadplay atmosphere

[YOUUBE]9RgUydCFrQM[/YOUTUBE]

That's kind of depressing actually, the music and the tone of the squad's voices. They seem more concerned about tickets and their score than the enjoyment of squadplay itself.

DB has good PR videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/muitocomplicado

Edited by Placebo

Very nice indeed! Pvp in BIS games has always been a bit of let down for me with all those confusing or fragile custom playmodes. Hopefully you have also made improvements to the server browser and multiplayer UI as a whole.

I also like that you cater to those who are less experienced with addons and just want a solid "product" :).

Thanks for the posts UK_Force.

I'd think the ArmA2 community is also mature, and I'm guessing the thread title still stands, "WIP Discussion".

OT:

.... especially when there are any number of BI Devs interested in this release
... under realitystudios, a commercial branch of Project Reality

Very curious. You may not want to comment, but I'm very curious (as maybe some of the potential contributers are) about your commercial goals and intent with this project?

I think it fair to say there are NO mod's in this forum or community that are commercial by nature or intent. This is driven by the EULA and BIS policy that NOTHING is for sale.

A couple of mod's or a few addons might be consider "free advertising" for a group or an individual who works on similar products elsewhere.

Addons (like Queens Gambit) and DLC and stuff for VBS are done isolated from these forums / this community, for obvious reason.

Further to my request for comment, I'd ask the question, do you want this mod to become payware / DLC ?

@Gnat, don't assume that their ArmA project is their only project... :j:

I believe the;

"a commercial branch of Project Reality "

Applies to PR2 , which is more of a pre-alpha/Proof of concept stand alone game project for realitystudios based on a game engine called "C4"

The only publicly released info on PR2:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-pr-bf2-general-discussion/64205-pr2-faq.html

And so far the PR team has been very hush-hush about any info regarding PR2 apart from the above FAQ.

Edited by gazzthompson

Gnat;1723650']Very curious. You may not want to comment' date=' but I'm very curious (as maybe some of the potential contributers are) about your [b']commercial goals and intent with this project?[/b]

Further to my request for comment, I'd ask the question, do you want this mod to become payware / DLC ?

No, there are no commercial interests for either PR:BF2 or PR:A2 and there is no intention to ever change that.

A part of the team is however working on a stand-alone commercial game called PR 2.

Edited by Deadfast

Gnat, UK Force is the only one that should answer these questions. I'm sure he will shed some light on these things when he gets back online again.

No, there are no commercial interests for either PR:BF2 or PR:A2 and there is no intention to ever change that.
Gnat;1723660']yes yes' date=' but;

[b']commercial goals and intent with this project?[/b]

:j:

Your grasp of the English language amuses me. :D

Seriously though, while either UKF or Gaz should be the ones to answer this, it is as deadfast said. No commercial intent is planned for PR: ArmA2. I can safely say that. The only commercial interest PR has is for PR: 2, and even then it is very much up in the air. This is shown in links attached to previous posts. Please do take the time to read them, it really helps convey the information and prevents people thinking that others are simply trolling for an arguement! :)

Edited by Jeepo

Indeed you are both correct,

I don't really wish to discuss Project Realitys commercial side, and if I am honest these are subjects that are not really of interest to this community or have anything to do with PR: ArmA2, however I will summarise it for you.

There are No commercial interests with this project ... its a Modification of ArmA2 thats all

1. PR2 is a retail game we have in Development on the C4 engine, and has nothing to do with ArmA2 or BIS.

2. realitystudios is a commercial business that has recently been created, and again has nothing to do with ArmA2, the reason it was mentioned is due to the sounds incorporated, as they are copyrighted under this company and we have a commercial interest in these.

3. I am fully aware of Gaming Company Business savvy in general due to the above comments I have made, and my involvment in them, as Managing Director.

4. The 2 quotes made are way out of context in that post, and a little misleading to be honest?

5. The quote regarding BI Devs was taken from my post in the PR Forums to remind my Community that they are actually watching too.

6. The quote regarding realitystudios was taken from the Newspost in regards to the PR Sounds.

You have changed the look of it with the 2 quotes together and no reference as to where they came from, by blending "BI Devs" with "realitystudios" you have given the impression they are actually linked - although when you look further you see they are from 2 different forums, and 2 totally seperate subjects aswell.

This is something I have to clear up if you start mentioning "commercial" comments, like that, with no clear references .... sorry but that I do need to be wary of ;)

Hopefully that clears a few things up now.

[back on topic]

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Have just been informed that the Youtube Videos are not showing up?

I can see them of course so was not aware, they are getting switched over from Private - Public now.

My apologies .....oops.

Edited by Craig.Turner

good news just take your time to do something really good and make nice looking models.

A few Questions of interest;

1) What is the size your aiming for? Seeing as the bf2 version looks to be 3gb.

2) What is you view on the whole interchangable 3rd/1st person mode and will it be locked onto one of be free to change between the two.

2) What is you view on the whole interchangable 3rd/1st person mode and will it be locked onto one of be free to change between the two.

What Force said :)

Edited by Dredge

A few Questions of interest;

1) What is the size your aiming for? Seeing as the bf2 version looks to be 3gb.

1. Its currently sitting at around 900mb, but there is more to do and go in yet.

2. 3p view will be locked out and unavailable definatley on the PR Servers.

UK_Force;1723764']2. 3p view will be locked out and unavailable definatley on the PR Servers.

good decision!

UK_Force;1723764']1. Its currently sitting at around 900mb' date=' but there is more to do and go in yet.

2. 3p view will be locked out and unavailable definatley on the PR Servers.[/quote']

Locked out in server controls or locked out when PR is loaded?