Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality - WIP Discussion

Looking forward to those vids! :D

BTW, how are you fixed for beta testers? :butbut: More to the point, how are you fixed for a large group of well drilled and skilled beta testers?

HAve you joined a new clan, Because you cant be talking about us :-D

Edited by CannonousCrash
Added a smiley to show its a joke, And to appease other clan members

Question(s) for the devs - Assuming every 'entity' (read that as soldier) in the game will be played by humans, will this give you some spare processing power to do other stuff, seeing as the server won't have to be working out all the AI that would usually be present in a game of Arma? Does this affect things like framerates and the overall smoothness of the game? I'd be interested to hear how your beta testing is doing and if you've noticed a change or if it handles pretty much like co-op for instance.

I ask as I haven't really done much PVP (not since Bezerk! on the original Arma).

As the entities are all humans, then yes logically there should be a better performance overall than CO-OP, although I can not really comment on ArmA2 CO-OP as I have not played it enough to make that call.

Don't get me wrong - we have had performance issues however, big ones, but the causes have since been identified, and they are being addressed. We are really striving to ensure everything is as optimised as possible - to keep those performance levels high.

That extra performance however will be held in reserve if you like as we push the server further and further with larger numbers of players, and extra detail added in the missions.

We are also looking in the future at the use of AI Civilians, in an atmospherics module, to add to the immersion. We have an effective system working at present whereby if a Human suicide Bomber approaches these AI Civilian "Villagers", they will flee into buildings. This will provide the Bluefor with a good Combat indicator of enemy presence.

As its WIP however it's draining a lot of performance and needs a fair amount of work yet so will probably not make the first release.

Edited by Craig.Turner

A pair of questions for the PR Team:

*How will you handle armour? Will there be any improvement over the current hitpoints system such as A.C.E. has? It'd be a bit odd if you could blow up Challengers with RPGs as you can now, seeing as how they've managed to survive a good 12 hits or so with only minor damage.

*How will aircraft be done? Will there be any systems such as Mando Missile that allow for aircraft to become as useful as they are in real life, or will you go with the standard ArmA II style for them, with nothing more than a simple HUD?

*How will you handle armour? Will there be any improvement over the current hitpoints system such as A.C.E. has? It'd be a bit odd if you could blow up Challengers with RPGs as you can now, seeing as how they've managed to survive a good 12 hits or so with only minor damage.

Yes Armour will be improved upon to provide a more realistic level of protection.

*How will aircraft be done? Will there be any systems such as Mando Missile that allow for aircraft to become as useful as they are in real life, or will you go with the standard ArmA II style for them, with nothing more than a simple HUD?

We have not even looked at aircraft yet to be honest. We intend to look into this area more after we get the PR Core out, with a basic British Faction. Therefore the aircraft will be standard until we develop them, we are only at the discussion stage so far, but our Lead Dev - Deanosbeano has a system already in mind ;)

forgive me if this has been answered

without causing a fuss, im only using ACE as an example

what support does PR give to other mods

for example, ACE gives certain systems to 'enhance' other mods

does PR give any systems that would need to be added to configs form other mods?

i thiiink that is clear enough :P ill explain later when im not on a psp

Mr UK can feel free to correct me, but i believe that it has been stated many times that PR is meant to be standalone. In that respect I believe they look to other mods for inspiration, but not necessarily looking for things to make that mod better. I am sorry if I misunderstood you question. Typing with a psp is hard, hence why i bought a laptop :)

forgive me if this has been answered

without causing a fuss, im only using ACE as an example

what support does PR give to other mods

for example, ACE gives certain systems to 'enhance' other mods

does PR give any systems that would need to be added to configs form other mods?

i thiiink that is clear enough :P ill explain later when im not on a psp

Why would you mod Project Reality ?

On of the reason why Arma2 is so unpopular is because theres almost a unique addons setup for every single servers.

The R-Dev know that and by regulating the server licence they will avoid a variant mess (ACE - PR, CWR - PR,Pr with this map and this one...)

Arma 2 is a great game , it is realist enough to enjoy , but PR will show us the right way to enjoy it (tons of stupid Ai and omg explosions are not)

The R-Dev know that and by regulating the server licence they will avoid a variant mess (ACE - PR, CWR - PR,Pr with this map and this one...)

Arma 2 is a great game , it is realist enough to enjoy , but PR will show us the right way to enjoy it (tons of stupid Ai and omg explosions are not)

The first part, they can't regulate servers. I don't care what you say, with ArmA 2, anybody can host it. I can host it with every other addon that exists enabled if I wanted to, so can everybody who downloads it.

The 2nd part, that's insulting to the community. PR will not "show us the right way to enjoy it", because we already are enjoying it. It's that type of stuck up fanboy BS that is causing most of the issues that have been brought up.

*Oh, btw, you COMPLETELY misunderstood his post. FPDR *

Mr UK can feel free to correct me, but i believe that it has been stated many times that PR is meant to be standalone. In that respect I believe they look to other mods for inspiration, but not necessarily looking for things to make that mod better. I am sorry if I misunderstood you question. Typing with a psp is hard, hence why i bought a laptop :)

PR is designed to be a standalone mod. As you said, they are getting inspiration from other mods as well as from the players. When you are playing it you wont even remember what ACE is for ;)

have to agree with Darkhorse here, but do not let this fall back into another useless "heated" debate...

also the blink was asking if he makes xyz addon would it be possible to make it use the features that PR brings to arma, for example ace2 makes it possible to have an ejection seat in some planes, however for custom addons it requires a line of code in its config for it to work, will there be similar things in PR that the community will be able to work into their mods to be used with PR on THEIR own servers?

The first part, they can't regulate servers.

So far testing on a system we have has proven to work well, however its only at the testing stage so far, so anything could go wrong I suppose. A document on the inner workings of this have also been passed on to a few certain people to glance through it for us.

Edited by Craig.Turner

When you are playing it you wont even remember what ACE is for ;)

+1

@Darkhorse, Although he did completely misunderstand the post, I do not believe he meant insult. I think he was simply trying to say that PR had a style of play that forces teamwork, which when combined with Arma2, it would appeal to many players. I think he just chose his words poorly.

Although I agree that PR players can't just come in here and act all high and mighty, some of you might want to read your own posts in other threads. Both sides need to come off their pedestals and read with open minds. There is no one style of play to Arma2. PR will not destroy Arma2.

On a side note, from playing PR, and reading the forums, its pretty much not the same game as Bf2. Its like saying that OFP and FPDR are the same game. They have different features and different communities. Lets just all try to take a breather and listen to each others ideas, instead of starting insulting flame wars. :icon_hug:

UK_Force;1723399']So far testing on a system we have has proven to work well' date=' however its only at the testing stage so far, so anything could go wrong I suppose. A document on the inner workings of this have also been passed on to a few certain people to glance through it for us.[/quote']Why would you want to even go through the trouble? It seems like wasted effort. No sarcasm intended, just a simple question.
Edited by Big Mac

At this stage, I have a query and please forgive me if I've missed it elsewhere, it's getting hard to sift through this thread for information.

Have you decided on a plan for how you're going to approach your initial release and subsequent updates? Will you be releasing a stream of small-ish updates or be doing it en-mass in large bulk releases?

Specifically I'm thinking about gameplay tweaks that (for whatever reason) need to be made client-side. Will these need to wait for x-date to be part of a larger package? Or will they be coming out as and when you deem them required?

I am so looking forward to scenes like this but with better graphics :) and without the need of photoshopping NVG's :)

karbalanightvisionconvo.jpg

Edited by [10th] Rezza

Flufball: in bf2, there are three parts. Core (units and stuff), levels (maps), and patches (small tweaks). My guess is there will be a similair system for A2. You will download the core and levels right away, and then as they find bugs, they will release those in a patch, which will not require reinstalling the whole mod, just a very small part of it. For major releases (adding new factions), it will probably mean an fresh install of the mod.

Edit: rezzha, Karbala?

for fluffball: here is a link for what I am talking about http://www.realitymod.com/downloads.html

Edit2: eek, it has changed since when I started playing 2 years ago. Sorry. Still, the above still applies, just now I guess its client (maps and units and stuff) and patch (for small updates) plus the server files for the server admins, which is probably the same system they are trying to implement in A2

Edited by Cotala Studios

Its not even out guys? :S

Why are you so negatively hyped about something that's not even out and you don't event know how it is?

Edited by [10th] Rezza

Rezza you never answer, you are killing me with suspense :).

OT (sort of): really guys, the flamewars aren't helping anyone, and Mudkip, really? Let us pray that half these people never become in charge of foreign policy, or we will all be f*****

Flufball: in bf2, there are three parts. Core (units and stuff), levels (maps), and patches (small tweaks). My guess is there will be a similair system for A2. You will download the core and levels right away, and then as they find bugs, they will release those in a patch, which will not require reinstalling the whole mod, just a very small part of it. For major releases (adding new factions), it will probably mean an fresh install of the mod.

Edit: rezzha, Karbala?

for fluffball: here is a link for what I am talking about http://www.realitymod.com/downloads.html

Edit2: eek, it has changed since when I started playing 2 years ago. Sorry. Still, the above still applies, just now I guess its client (maps and units and stuff) and patch (for small updates) plus the server files for the server admins, which is probably the same system they are trying to implement in A2

Cheers for trying anyway, I got a similar response from the people I know who play, so I thought I'd ask to see what the official plan is for the ArmA version.

I'll be interested however they do it, I simply find myself caught up with a slight touch of insomnia fuelled curiosity. The publicity hack in me wants to know what the plan is and refuses to switch off.

They changed the PR:BF2 installers its just Part 1 and Part 2 now :)

and yes that scene is from Karbala :)

and if you want to keep up with the updates more the Developers always give out hidden hints infos etc on the forums.Not to mention that updates are posted there first.

http://www.realitymod.com/forum

Edited by [10th] Rezza

You probably should have asked the PR Operations Lead before doing that :)

Ask UK_Force about the group lets see what he says :)

but as far as i am concerned its not a big deal.

There is no "right" or "wrong" in enjoying ArmA. Variety is the spice of life, correct? ;)