Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality - WIP Discussion

What i want from pr arma:

- lower fuel amount for vehicles to make sure that choppers and plains have a limited operation area/time without supplies and support from other plyers

- better logistic part for supplies, fuel and ammo

- bigger firebases and possibilities to build squad defenses

- ingame radio like acre

- restricted playerclasses (rifleman atomatic rifle, light at and so on) with restricted weaponpool for those classes (medic has acces to all assaultrifles without grenade launcher, grenadier has acces to all ri9fles with launcher, machinegunner can select all mgs etc etc...)

- like in pr bf2, special soldier classes are only accesable if the squad reaches a specifig strenght (sniper, heavy at, engineer with 2+ members and grenadier, automatic rifle, medic, marksman with 4+ squadmembers)

- soldier classes resricted to 1 or 2 per squad and overall 1 or 2 per side to some loadouts like sniper

- only crewmans and pilots can operate vehicles. and they only have acces to self defense weapons (mp5, pistols, m4 ironsight)

- the need for real crews (no one man tanks and choppers)

- diffrent equipable parachutes like in ACE 2, no jumping out air assets without the correct chute

- the need for 2 or more persons to get things done like build stuff and cap areas

- instead of big flag radius there should be a few points of intrest in an area which need to be controlled to get the area under your control

+ MUCH MUCH other teamwork forcing elements

mate you really want lots of things, well i just want pr on the arma engine :D

Wow, another death spiraling PR thread.....I'm hardly surprised. :mad:

Kudos to the PR team for working up a sweet looking mod and continuing to post info here about it even though they immediately get hammered by every small minded ARMA fanboy who thinks their opinion matters.

Look, it's simple. The PR team wants to build a mod; they are entitled to build it any way they want, they can release it any way they want. I don't see this sort of BS with anyone elses mods, why theirs? They have just as solid credentials as any other mod team in the community. It's their mod, get over it. Play it, don't play it, it's your choice and ARMA has plenty of choices.

I for one can't wait, and I think it'll fill a niche for great PvP and bring more players over to ARMA.

Geeze, it's just a game guys.......

*edit* I did have a legit question. How are spawns/respawns handled in PR?

Well based on my knowledge from the other PR mod, If you die lol..you're gonna have to wait at least or minute or two:o. Dont take my word though! thats experience from me dying in a round lol it will probly be along the same lines for PR in ArmA.

Na, not that long ebanks :p. Default respawn times start around 30 seconds. The more you die, the longer you have to wait.

If you're really at two minutes, you've done something terrible :D.

I don't know how PR for ArmA II will do it, but I assume it's something similar.

Really eager to see this mod alive. Everyone supporting this mod should post here to make louder noise than the crappy guys.

Na, not that long ebanks :p. Default respawn times start around 30 seconds. The more you die, the longer you have to wait.

If you're really at two minutes, you've done something terrible :D.

I don't know how PR for ArmA II will do it, but I assume it's something similar.

I think i killed a civ in insurgency...:o

I guess I wasn't too clear, I was wondering where you spawn, not so much when. Thanks though.

I checked out the Wiki, so I'm assuming that spawns will be similar to current PR, so you respawn with your squad at a rally point, fob etc. depending on gametype and other variables.

Yes, that's correct. Nothing is set in stone yet but the final system should be very close to that or PR:BF2.

Hey UK_Force, i hope you see this post under all the rubbish in this thread.

First off, could you answer the following question from Jack:

Ive just been going through some of your ingame pictures and i wondered about the 'hill drop off' shot, The one with the Merlin hovering over a cliff edge and a trooper taking a knee as hes just disembarked.

So my question is, Did the guy run down the ramp and off the chopper?

Which would show you've made it possible to move around in the back of a chopper without falling out whilst its in motion.

I also interested in this.

Also, when i played PR:BF2 back in 0.5 to 0.7, i noticed that there was great team-play and coordination within the squads but none at all between the squads. Ie. the commander would never say "squad 1 give covering fire while squad 2 flanks left".

I would like to know how you have changed the organisation and structure of the squads (sections now?) and the platoon.

How are you going to improve inter-section coordination?

Are you going for a platoon sturucture with limited squads in each platoon with each platoon under a company commander?

Or is it like current PR:BF2 where you create squads willy-nilly?

Okay guys I have ordered Battlefield 2 now, and now I am looking why so many fans say this is so much better than Arma 2 ;)

(PR of course)

Edited by sommergemuese

Yeah, in ArmA II they have a chance to really think things over to make it so that squads will interact better with each other, work together. And such.

Would be nice to see a game that does that. I would love to see them be able to get random games to end up being large scale tactical battles, Ive been waiting for a game like that. :)

Also, when i played PR:BF2 back in 0.5 to 0.7, i noticed that there was great team-play and coordination within the squads but none at all between the squads. Ie. the commander would never say "squad 1 give covering fire while squad 2 flanks left".

By implementing dynamics, like FOB's that need supplies and Engineers to create them, it now happens a lot more.

You do however still need a good commander at the helm, which is down to the players. If not you do find squad leaders will talk with each other a lot more than back then

I would like to know how you have changed the organisation and structure of the squads (sections now?) and the platoon.

Not "that" much has changed really.

How are you going to improve inter-section coordination?

In BF2 its pretty much ok now, with RP's etc - it happens naturally tbh.

Are you going for a platoon sturucture with limited squads in each platoon with each platoon under a company commander?

As of yet no, we are however looking into it still, as its an important area

Or is it like current PR:BF2 where you create squads willy-nilly?

When you join a Squad you will be able to join any squad you wish still. As the game pans out you may change squads, for example a Helo squad is required, and you are a decent pilot, etc etc, or your clan creates a squad, so you want to jump in with them.

In regards to the Merlin picture. No its actually no different than ArmA2 at the moment, but we are looking into this still, its just not a priority for v0.1.

Edited by Craig.Turner

The flame baiting in this thread stops now, this goes especially to Big Mac.

Sort your personal problems in PMs where you don't bother the rest of the community who is actually interested in this Mod.

Okay guys I have ordered Battlefield 2 now, and now I am looking why so many fans say this is so much better than Arma 2 ;)

(PR of course)

In terms of PvP I would say yes. I still love my ArmA editor though lol :) I'll have to re-install BF2 now haha

UK_Force;1722980']By implementing dynamics' date=' like FOB's that need supplies and Engineers to create them, it now happens a lot more.

You do however still need a good commander at the helm, which is down to the players. If not you do find squad leaders will talk with each other a lot more than back then[/quote']

Thanks for the quick response!

It sounds like there is coordination in terms of building and maintaining assets like FOB's etc. but is there honestly any tactical coordination? (Beyond, "You defend this, i'll attack this")

Will you find two or three squads advancing in (even a rudimentary) a formation to the enemy and then reacting effectivly and working togheter to destroy the enemy?

Maybe it doesn't happen at the moment in PR:BF2 but im sure it can in PR:ARMA2. It a more slower paced game and i find the players generally seem to be more patient.

Maybe im just too hardcore. :j:

One of the main problems in PR:BF2 with this was limited to zero inter squad communication options, short of typing, used on public servers. Long story short Alot (but not enough ;) ) of PR players use a 3rd party VoIP program called 'mumble' now;

Example^. This allows for proximity and Squad leader radio talk. Now with ArmAs more complex and complicated in built VoIP (and hopefully PR will develop its own one in future) Coordination should be more easy in ArmA between squads.

It does happen yes ........ its just hard to put your finger on how and why - exactly why that is, if I had to say I would say its a good mix of the gameplay and the actual players.

PR has also slowed down the Vanilla BF2 pace a hell of a lot - there is no flag rushing, and running all over the place to cap flags anymore, its much more mature and tactical approach to the gameplay.

All these features and more will be a part of PR: ArmA2.

We will be covering a large Gameplay feature next month, which will include video demonstrations of the game modes.

The reason for not featuring gameplay prior in news posts, is quite simply because it just was not ready at the time, and we had to make sure it was right before we discussed it. Well we are just about there now, so will be featuring it soon :)

Of course we still have 2 more parts to this Newsreel yet !!

The reason for not featuring gameplay prior in news posts' date=' is quite simply because it just was not ready at the time, and we had to make sure it was right before we discussed it. Well we are just about there now, so will be featuring it soon :)[/quote']

As I said elsewhere I appricate that. Having spent a som time in the PR side of a software company, I can understand what you're trying to achieve.

That said, I still stand by the suggestion that it might be worth looking at placing a bit more emphasis on the fact that a gameplay focus exists, at least in your original post if not elsewhere.

UK_Force;1723003']We will be covering a large Gameplay feature next month' date=' which will include video demonstrations of the game modes.

[/quote']

Looking forward to those vids! :D

BTW, how are you fixed for beta testers? :butbut: More to the point, how are you fixed for a large group of well drilled and skilled beta testers?

I would like to interject slightly in here........

I rarely get involved over here in the BIS community, because I can not be bothered with the in-fighting and bickering. But the BIS admins have done a good job so far of trying to keep this thread respectable.

Background about me: I am the Game Officer for ArmA over at Tactical Gamer, which essentially means I am in charge. We have a large, active community, and ourselves faced a few negative thoughts and comments from some sides of our ArmA community regarding PR. However, that has been set to rights now. TG has been through it all, from back in OFP, to ArmA and ACE, to current ACE2 and ACRE testing.

My background in ArmA and our TG ArmA community dictates that I can in no way be called a "PR fanboy", but I am a tester of PR: ArmA 2, and let me tell you, it will change things. There is no doubt about that in my mind, people who even considered playing PvP in ArmA will get a real eye opener. It is a realistic, exciting dynamic game. Just like its brother PR: BF2. I still play it, simply because I am a junky, I live for those moments, waiting for that perfect CAS bomb before 25 guys go "into the breach". And so far, PR: ArmA2 has exceeded even those. I can no longer even consider the thought of going back to shooting bots. Sure I still do it to hang with my mates who don't get to play PR yet, but what's a guy to do, we all have to slum it some times! ;)

Do not be afraid of the unknown. Let the PR DEV's announce it their way, let them make it their way. They will anyway, because they always have, and it has always worked. You don't win awards and legions of fans for nothing.

Sit back, chill, and enjoy the highlights reels. Once it is released the real fighting will begin! ;)

Jeepo

Question(s) for the devs - Assuming every 'entity' (read that as soldier) in the game will be played by humans, will this give you some spare processing power to do other stuff, seeing as the server won't have to be working out all the AI that would usually be present in a game of Arma? Does this affect things like framerates and the overall smoothness of the game? I'd be interested to hear how your beta testing is doing and if you've noticed a change or if it handles pretty much like co-op for instance.

I ask as I haven't really done much PVP (not since Bezerk! on the original Arma).

Question(s) for the devs - Assuming every 'entity' (read that as soldier) in the game will be played by humans, will this give you some spare processing power to do other stuff, seeing as the server won't have to be working out all the AI that would usually be present in a game of Arma? Does this affect things like framerates and the overall smoothness of the game? I'd be interested to hear how your beta testing is doing and if you've noticed a change or if it handles pretty much like co-op for instance.

I ask as I haven't really done much PVP (not since Bezerk! on the original Arma).

Very interesting question. As a rule of CPU power, I'd estimate, yes. It's not something we've actually compared afaik. I'd actually like to know the answer to this question even though we cannot do a direct comparison by firing up a CO-OP server of the same magnitude to give you a 100% accurate answer.

Thanks for the kind comments so far all :)

I'm sure there are communities that had chances to play both coop and pvp on high player counts (~100) that you can ask for info?

and ourselves faced a few negative thoughts and comments from some sides of our ArmA community regarding PR. However, that has been set to rights now.

Arrogant much?

Arrogant much?

Er... how on earth can you read arrogance into what Jeepo posted?

It sounds like there is coordination in terms of building and maintaining assets like FOB's etc. but is there honestly any tactical coordination? (Beyond, "You defend this, i'll attack this")

Will you find two or three squads advancing in (even a rudimentary) a formation to the enemy and then reacting effectivly and working togheter to destroy the enemy?

Maybe it doesn't happen at the moment in PR:BF2 but im sure it can in PR:ARMA2. It a more slower paced game and i find the players generally seem to be more patient.

At the moment on many servers this is one of the areas that mumble fulfils, in providing convenient ways for squads to locally communicate and squad leaders to non locally communicate. The BF2 engine does infact have a similar facility inbuilt, but many players have found mumble a better solution. With such servers, there is very often a high degree of intersquad communication.

We hope to bring to Arma2 a similar kind of communication system, very possibly based on a 3rd party solution.But again .. with all these things .. its uptake is down to the players.