I would pay more for BIS games  

60 members have voted

1. 1. I would pay more for BIS games

• yes
    • no

im not exactly sure where to put this post but its a question im curious to ask

I am an Arma crazy

i cannot play anything else except DCS

for years i have been dreaming about ways to make arma better and making my own missons, playing MP on my local servers. downloading awesome contents etc...

its been the greatest fun for ten years

the BIS guys have slaved away for years to bring me joy and so for that thanks

however

there are soooo many things that the community have asked for and there is only so much one team can do

my question is

how many BIS game fans would be willing to pay more for A BIS Game?

If it meant that the finer details can finally be addressed

things like thousands more animations that seem to be too much hassel to do,

or improving the ten year old mission editor, sorry guys i really suck at code

even with all the manuals and community sites (this doesnt mean i dont have some cool misions made with help from all over)

i would personally pay double for a copy of the best damb game on earth period.

in fact i would even pay double for a copy of arma 2

and i am buying several other copies for some of my ol buds

my biggest fear is that BIS is going to get old an tired and less interested thanks again for the games

:yay:

BIS' games are the only games I believe would justify being charged $60 for, and definitely not MW2 or MOH. :rolleyes:

So yes, I'd definitely buy BIS' games for more.

BI's games are games among many for me and it wouldn't feel right for me to pay an excess sum. Steel Beasts Pro PE went that way with a normal price of $125 and updates $30 a pop and it's doomed to be a niche game even among simulators.

Edited by Celery

BI's games are games among many for me and it wouldn't feel right for me to pay an excess sum. Steel Panthers Pro PE went that way with a normal price of $125 and updates $30 a pop and it's doomed to be a niche game even among simulators.

I also have a large appitite for games but you cannot compare a turn based strategy sim to a game like arma.

Think about how much money blizzard have made from the world of warcraft series. It rediculous that such a crappy little walk about game can have so many expansions backed by monthly subscriptions.

(THIS IS BY NO WAY MY SUGGESTION!!)

while BIS scrape through and still make a better games

I dont really know their financial sitch but I know BIS is small

so a little growth might help

not to mention the price of xbox games ahhm

I'm supporting them by buying each of their games one after the other, i'm not really looking forward to see the prices increasing, even if i can afford it.

BIS' games are the only games I believe would justify being charged $60 for, and definitely not MW2 or MOH. :rolleyes:

$60 sounds fair

This is actually a very important question to ask, especially in terms of "product positioning". I think BIS is fighting the wrong battle if they try competing with the common products out there on the market.

OA is good, but for the average gamer still not good enough in terms of graphics and simple gameplay. BIS is trying to please this largest target group but they dont succeed. Simply because the game isnt made for it. This desperate attempt to be mainstream fails every time. Only the true ArmA Fans know and forgive this mistake, because the see the true potential.

ArmA2 is not a game, it is a vanilla engine for people with a productive drive to create own content and to enjoy community made additions. They could sell their product without any campaign and the majority of the old fans would still buy it. If they would be able to create a product that is positioned between ArmA and VBS (in terms of price) then I think the main core of the community would go for it. The question then only is, what would you expect for your money?

Edited by Albert Schweitzer

This is actually a very important question to ask, especially in terms of "product positioning". I think BIS is fighting the wrong battle if they try competing with the common products out there on the market.

OA is good, but for the average gamer still not good enough in terms of graphics and simple gameplay. BIS is trying to please this largest target group but they dont succeed. Simply because the game isnt made for it. This desperate attempt to be mainstream fails every time. Only the true ArmA Fans know and forgive this mistake, because the see the true potential.

ArmA2 is not a game, it is a vanilla engine for people with a productive drive to create own content and to enjoy community made additions. They could sell their product without any campaign and the majority of the old fans would still buy it. If they would be able to create a product that is positioned between ArmA and VBS (in terms of price) then I think the main core of the community would go for it. The question then only is, what would you expect for your money?

it is true that arma has an old loyal fan base that has grown slowly over the years.

I have done my fair share of converting friends

and it seems to be growing a bit more every year

as for what to expect

more staff for BIS to do more polishing

:o

I would love to see in any new release or as DLC more animations and just a few more effects like muzzle flash, visual stress from suppression and so on, the games solid but just some small things to complete the immersion.

@Albert Schweitzer - I completely agree with that, (but still include some of the eyecandy) Nicely said...

especially this...

ArmA2 is not a game, it is a vanilla engine for people with a productive drive to create own content and to enjoy community made additions.

Says the one who got the Stimulus pack ;)

I have never played or mod'ed a game longer than OFP, or ArmA or ArmAII ......

That means the cost per hour of entertainment must be less than 0.06 cents

(at a guess, 4,000 hours across 3 products totalling ~ $220 to buy, not count the fact I bought ArmA twice ;) )

Compared to some games I've bought;

Sins of a Solar Empire: $50 per hour ! (what a bloody waste)

CitiesXL: $10 per hour

GTA: 10cents (yeh, I wasted some hours here :D )

Edited by [APS]Gnat
typos

I was introduced to Arma 2 by a clanmate, and decided to invest in it ($59) via Steam. Only to find out that about 3 weeks in a new Arma II Arrowhead was coming out at a cost of ($39).

Now I could purchase the two games together for ($49), but I don't want to buy Arma II again. To buy the Arrowhead alone would mean an investment in this game of ($100). Or both together total cost of ($110) That is a bit much for a game, and in a short time together.

I wish they had offered a discount to those who where late buying Arma II.

Had I known that Arma II was going to release a new game so soon I would have waited. ( I was talked into the game by a friend, and should have read up on it first.)

Like other games... when the game starts aging they go down in price. I can get BFBC2 for $29 now. It is just frustrating. I can't afford to shell out so much for another version of a game I just shelled out a chunk for.

Sorry just venting.:mad::(

I know this is not the topic of this dicussion, but it was about the cost of the games. I wasn't sure where else to put this.

Edited by JSCCajun
Clarify my point...

I was introduced to Arma 2 by a clanmate, and decided to invest in it ($59) via Steam. Only to find out that about 3 weeks in a new Arma II Arrowhead was coming out at a cost of ($39).

Now I could purchase the two games together for ($49), but I don't want to buy Arma II again. To buy the Arrowhead alone would mean an investment in this game of ($100). Or both together total cost of ($110) That is a bit much for a game, and in a short time together.

I wish they had offered a discount to those who where late buying Arma II.

Had I known that Arma II was going to release a new game so soon I would have waited. ( I was talked into the game by a friend, and should have read up on it first.)

Like other games... when the game starts aging they go down in price. I can get BFBC2 for $29 now. It is just frustrating. I can't afford to shell out so much for another version of a game I just shelled out a chunk for.

Sorry just venting.:mad::(

I know this is not the topic of this dicussion, but it was about the cost of the games. I wasn't sure where else to put this.

But do you enjoy ArmA2?

Steam isn't the best place for reasonable prices in the first place. A boxed copy of Arma 2 should cost around 20-25 dollars if you look around.

Says the one who got the Stimulus pack ;)

I also bought Resurgence if you recall correctly. ;)

Doesn't mean I think they're at all worth it, just $30 isn't too far out of my price-range to warrant a purchase if I can at least have something different in the game. But I'm lucky that way, and I still consider it a ridiculous price for what you get.

What's with the huge and blind consumerism on these forums as of late?

First people cry about how they want to be ripped off with furniture DLCs

Now people want to pay more for a game for no apparent reason (especially considering that SP content in BIS games sucks hard - OFP had 10 times more of it and costed less)?

I don't get it

Edited by metalcraze

[

But do you enjoy ArmA2?

Yeah, I Sort of do.. I am not your typical gamer. I am used to playing the COD series, the Battlefield Series, and so on. This game is very very different from any of those. I play as a way to relieve the stress of the day, The much faster pace of the other games, are a good release for all that stress.

This game on the other hand, has for me as least a huge learning curve. There is so much more going on and so much more you have to do to accomplish what you want. I am learning.. though it is slow going.

I guess I provide more fun for others, as I have created my own hilarious moments in the game due to my lack of control.. like the time I bought and ambulance, and when it showed up I walked over to it and it rolled away, and I started to chase after it and it kept going. If I stopped it stopped. Needless to say to see me running around chasing the ever elusive ambulance, had everyone in stitches. :D (Obviously it was staying in formation with me, and I didn't know how to stop it!) so.. I guess I have enjoyed it, but I still haven't learned 30% of what I need to know to really get into it. I want to learn more.. and will. I think once I get some time behind it, I will enjoy it more.

Only if they came more polished at release as a result.

yep. Not paying more money for this quality. Actually, next time I'll be careful even before paying the same money.

I agree with a previous poster, this game is one of very few that would be worth paying more than 50 bucks for.

At this time I had to say no, since ARMA2/OA has some yet to be addressed issues:

The performance is still hard to deal with, is this optimized for today's processors? I'd love to see the compile options being used.

If it's in the game content I want to see it in the editor, from street signs to roads.

The editor is far too imprecise for placing objects.

There is still no actual mod support in the game browser, we should be able to see what mods we need.

Also the server browser is broken now and we can not see who is on a server. It would be a bonus is we could see if the server has VON enabled too and it would be super if the server admin could set something to let us know if TS or some other third party VOIP program is required to play, and of course be able to filter based on those things, but I'm sure that's just a dream.

Still would like to see a way to override content with a local copy or when an addon is loaded after the content to be changed, but that's more of a feature request, most of which seem to get ignored.

The UAV is still a POS.

Weather and time of day still require too much effort to change.

The new ATV is bugged and flips way too much, WTH is that about?

The new SUV is bugged and flips way too much, again WTH is that about?

Most of the bridges in Chernarus are now bugged for some reason, just try driving across them slowly in many third party vehicles and while your fixing that ( Ha! Right, like that's going to happen! ) you could get that boulder out of the road west of the Chernagorsk city limits on the south road.

So, how much would that cost?

Edited by callihn

If the modding community is destroyed I won't pay even the 40 bucks I paid for both ArmA2 and OA..

Yea it seems they've gone the way of EA,DICE,Codemasters, and Ubisoft...