Sign in to follow this  
red oct

Great movie behind enemy lines

but what i dont get about it is those missles that the serb launched at the F-18 Hornet. why would you make a missle that gets to a certian distance away from the target, than have the nose cone blast off and than under it has basicly a giant shot gun that fires a bunch of shrapnel and then makes contact w/ the target and explodes? it just seems like over kill to me, whats the purpose of having a missle like that?

I've heard that it's a lame action movie so probably no worth paying your precious money for.

its not a lame movie, its pretty good. and i already saw it which is why im asking about this missle that was in it smile.gif

Yeah but I'm warning everyone not to spend their Euros, pounds, dollars or El Salvador colons or whatever on an apparently crap movie.

thats sort of how AA missile works.

it explodes some 2-8 meters away from the aircraft in order to peper it with shrapnel.

erm ok.

anyway back on the missle does anybody know why a missle would be built like this? why set up a device that launces a bunch a shrapnel at the target and then collide w/ it and explode? would it do this to maybe slow down the target so it can do this? there really isnt any aircraft that have armor that can withstand a missle attack

AA misiles detonate before impact at shower the target with shrapnel, so the movie was correct in that respect.

Otherwise I cannot begin to say how bad that movie was on all levels. It is seriously one of the worst movies I have seen.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scout @ April 27 2002,15:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">thats sort of how AA missile works.

it explodes some 2-8 meters away from the aircraft in order to peper it with shrapnel.<span id='postcolor'>

the one in the movie didnt explode away from the plane to fire shrapnel, the nose cone just opened and it fired the shrapnel like how a gun would, than it would ram the aircraft and then explode. is this missle a fictional aa missle or is it real cuzz i never knew such a missle exsists or why it would

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ April 27 2002,15:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">erm ok.

anyway back on the missle does anybody know why a missle would be built like this?<span id='postcolor'>

It makes holes in fuel lines, hydraulic systems etc. Planes have very little armour because they would get too heavy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the one in the movie didnt explode away from the plane to fire shrapnel, the nose cone just opened and it fired the shrapnel like how a gun would, than it would ram the aircraft and then explode. is this missle a fictional aa missle or is it real cuzz i never knew such a missle exsists or why it would

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes it did, it was just in slow motion. A shaped charge blows away the top of the missile which is made of fragmentating material. Basically a shaped charge frag grenade.

ok here is how it goes.

the missile warhead has IR/radar sensor that detects the plane when its in range of 10 meters. this sensor is NOT the IR or Radar tracking device.

when the missile gets to this range (or less) it explodes and pepers the aircraft with shrapnel. the aim is to hit as much area of the aircraft as it can, and as much systems as can be.

small warheads isnt likely to shoot down an aircraft but it'll damage it pretty good.

larger ones, like those of AIM-7M or AIM-120 will defenatly will shoot it down.

the range that the missile explodes it defined by determining what would be the optimal range or shrapnel dispersion.

denior what is that in your avatar? is that some sort of Military mascot for a battle grouP???

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ April 27 2002,18:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">denior what is that in your avatar? is that some sort of Military mascot for a battle grouP???<span id='postcolor'>

Nope, that is Red Guy from "Cow and Chicken", and he is my idol:

red_guy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 27 2002,11:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ April 27 2002,18:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">denior what is that in your avatar? is that some sort of Military mascot for a battle grouP???<span id='postcolor'>

Nope, that is Red Guy from "Cow and Chicken", and he is my idol:

red_guy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Cow and Chicken is great!

Behind Enemey Lines was pretty good. My favorite part was at the end with all the mg tracers and FFARs (some type like an FFAR at least).

Only thing i thought was kinda stupid was when he caught the marines arm and didnt get shot once. I mean most of the army was killed but theres still those BMPs.

What did you guys think of Perdovic (the civilian looking guy that was chasing burrnet)? I loved his rifle. So awesome.

That was the only good thing about the movie, the bad guy rocked biggrin.gif

Ok, I expected BEL to be another brainless hollywood-style action movie, and I was right. Having that state of mind, I could watch the movie until the silly end. I could stand the sterotypical bad guy/good guy theme. I even accepted that mines only hurt the bad guys... somehow.

The end was too unbelievable for me. You have 4 hueys against X number of BMPs and BMP-2s. Since this is a piece of unbelievable pro-us-military propaganda, the hueys win. I can accept exaggeration in the interest of the entertainment, but this was just over the top.

The directing of this movie is questionable. It is shot in a music video MTV-style. Sometimes it works, but often it doesnt.

Not to say that it is full of shameless US propaganda - for instance the evil NATO Admiral that doesnt want to rescue the heroic soldier. This is worse crap then Rambo.

Rambo had the excuse of being made in the '80-es. What excues does Behind Enemy Lines have?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 27 2002,19:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not to say that it is full of shameless US propaganda - for instance the evil NATO Admiral that doesnt want to rescue the heroic soldier. This is worse crap then Rambo.

Rambo had the excuse of being made in the '80-es. What excues does Behind Enemy Lines have?<span id='postcolor'>

all those Europians jealous about US's ability and their lack thereof tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ April 27 2002,19:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">oops..gotta hide form flames!!<span id='postcolor'>

flame.gif

Run Forrest Run!

Stick that film up your ass!!! I was so deeply hurt by SavingPrivateRyan clayming to be a "historical documentary" that I will never again watch Hollywood Productions that have anything to do with war!!! And if that isnt enough dear stage directors, stick the millions and billions of dollars up the ..... too, and if you still didnt have enough, see if you can also fit the Oscars in your.....! wink.gif

I'm not sure that I understand your signature Albert. First ok, you have the Bundestag election with "your" party winning. But then you have the flags of Austria, Switzerland, besides the German flag. Are you planning an Anschluss? wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 27 2002,20:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm not sure that I understand your signature Albert. First ok, you have the Bundestag election with "your" party winning. But then you have the flags of Austria, Switzerland, besides the German flag. Are you planning an Anschluss? wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL, Albert just got smoked! tounge.giftounge.giftounge.gif

Ouch!!! Yeah, I agree, one could get the impression. But it doesnt say "the german solution" it sais the "german way".

No, I just feel commited to all three countries. Switzerland is where I lived the last years, Germany is where I was born and I got many friends, roots and relatives in Austria.

And my name is not Albert Schweitzer (or maybe?, No!wink.gif. I like this guy, because he believed in God, but his thesis of the Echnaton proofed that Jesus made errors in his forseeing of the future. Believing bible/church/pope is not obligatory to believe in god and to be a good human (oh, I sound like scientology!! biggrin.gif )

After his years of theological research he wanted to change his life and add some flavour to it. But he didnt go out into the world as a colonialistic conquerer, he went out to help people, those kind of people which at those times were considered as animals. He s my man!

For me this man is the personification of the optimal way Germany followed/should follow after WWII. Which means:" shut up, dont play the big motherf..., just help whereever you can!" I like hearing things such as the Afghans want the germans to take responsibilty of the Security in their country during the next years.... this I like to hear! (even if it wasnt us that liberated them).

I wish I would have the same drive as Mr Albert Schweitzer to leave my career aside for a couple of years to do something good. But I have the impression that in my environment a successful career is more admired than a few years worthful social service (I wish it would be the other way around). I hope I could just ignore the human drive to get admiration!

Hey, but this belongs into the "why I used this name" thread.  wow.gif