Sign in to follow this  
NeoHazard

Stryker MGS

I was fooling around with the Stryker MGS just now. This thing is a beast, but right now I think it needs a little tooling.

As it is, the vehicle model in the simulation has absolutely no recoil from the cannon through its suspension. When I loaded up my mission and walked up to it, I remembered seeing videos of this thing firing, and it bounces like a lowrider.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41CpIA1Jytk

Also, notice in the video how the turret poops out the casings.... very awesome and absurd.

Another point of order is commanding the driver from the turret position. It can be a bit cumbersome to get him to move forward and turn out of an idle. This can make manuevering through urban areas pretty nasty as the AI doesnt understand subtle movement.

I'd love a revamping of this machine in a patch lol.

Edited by NeoHazard

Absolutely there are some features missing/incorrectly modeled on the stock BIS Stryker MGS. For the most part everything you mentioned is addressed in ACE2, save for the effects of firing the M68 on the suspension.

Also, there is a Coaxial M240 next to the turret, not an M2. The M2 should be for the commander or something when turned out.

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/22000/08140028a.JPG

(It's that boxy thing above and to the right of the canon.)

Yea, I noticed this in the video as well.

Actually, shockingly I'm just now noticing that after getting in the Abrams, no recoil on that either. I would expect some. It would be a nice touch to have this. I'm also guessing this would have something to do with the lack of physics modeling in the simulation?

Without some rudimentary physics to be able to calculate the pressure according to the direction of the gun firing, it would be hard to model the jolt in vehicle suspension.

Edited by NeoHazard

Yea, I noticed this in the video as well.

Actually, shockingly I'm just now noticing that after getting in the Abrams, no recoil on that either. I would expect some. It would be a nice touch to have this. I'm also guessing this would have something to do with the lack of physics modeling in the simulation?

Without some rudimentary physics to be able to calculate the pressure according to the direction of the gun firing, it would be hard to model the jolt in vehicle suspension.

That's correct, I wont expect any thing like vehicle movement from recoil of the weapons. And using animation will make it look clunky in some parts. Plus you have to get the animation from every angle the weapons can fire at. So only time we can expect things like this is when BIS gives ARMA some physics.

But don't put off the animation idea. like I said it could work, but you need complex Animation on it for proper look at every angle. If not then you will have a clunky/stiff movement.

Also, there is a Coaxial M240 next to the turret, not an M2. The M2 should be for the commander or something when turned out.

That's probably the most significant issue with the BIS Stryker MGS, IMO.

SABOT type ammunition for the main gun would be excellent as well.

The Stryker MGS made by BIS is missing the commander position, that is the biggest flaw.

The commander uses the hatch mounted M2, while the gunner uses a coaxial M240 (as mentioned before) - the remote controled gunner M2 as it is right now is highly unrealistic.

I'm also guessing this would have something to do with the lack of physics modeling in the simulation?

Anyone who played Armed Assault might remember the 40 mm grenades throwing hmmwv's and strykers all over the place, it was terrible untill they patched it.

Just saying that the game supports the feature..

As I discovered (or rather re-discovered, heh) the other day, even OFP had vehicles affected by weapons fire (ie Abrams recoiling from the cannon).

It was a real "WTF?!?!" moment.

Some of the OPFOR tanks in OA still have it, as well as the dustcloud from ground when firing...I just hope it will be back in one day.

Seems like it was taken out in the units redone for OA as it is modeled in ArmA2.

Yes, I'm agreeing with everyone here. The commander position needs to be installed, the guns corrected, the shell dispenser placed.

I was wondering about this though, so I loaded up the USMC M1A1(just to be safe) just now and took it for a spin through the ditches of Zargabad..... and as I impacted the valleys of the ditches, clearly suspension was being displayed in a very nice way with the wheels popping and the treads conforming to the terrain. The ability is clearly there, and when I went to the gunner position and fired the cannon.... like a rock.

I think they'll fix this somehow. It might not take those complex preprogrammed animations after all.

well, and it seems MGS is also missing FCS features.

It is really hard to hit anything above 800m

well, and it seems MGS is also missing FCS features.

It is really hard to hit anything above 800m

Also agreed. At least some ability to calibrate the sights would be nice. I'm finding it very difficult to be accurate with what the simulation gives us here. Right now I just kind of have to calibrate myself and learn the projectile arc:distance relation.

I kind of feel like making a thread to point out vehicle technical problems.

I have been using the M6 Linebacker and ther turnout position for the gunner isnt complete. There are sights on the top of the cannon that would indicate that external firing would be possible, I can't use the optics button to engage the sights. I can't operate the turret at all from the turnout position.