Sign in to follow this  
ryguy

Aircraft belly damaged easily

There's one problem with A2 planes: Arma 2 built in the failure where if you damage the gear it won't let you bring it up/down. But on a gear failure you have to eject since there aren't any emergency landings: Once you touch your belly to the ground, the plane immediately explodes. I think you should make it easier to do belly landings.

Well, heres the thing. If your gear is stuck in the down position, you can (and many have) make a semi "safe" landing. It depends on the skill of the pilot. Say 1 wheel is gone or is stuck in the up position, a skilled pilot, if he decides to try and land, can keep the aircraft level until the last possible second, so that the chance of it cartwheeling is small.

Yea, I guess I worded that wrong. The problem is if you get hit and can't put your gear down at all, the engine simply won't let you land on your belly. The partial-gear landings are actually pretty realistic.

I've done belly landings in ArmA 2, you just suck.

^ Reported for spam & flame baiting.

@ryguy: Belly landing are possible, but very very rare & hard to pull off. I've only successfully pulled one off in a C-130 & i think an A-10. You will end up with somewhere around one "bar" of health, but you survive long enough to jump out. ;)

^

Nonsense, go into the desert, put flaps down fully, fly at 5m above the ground, slow down to 100 km/h, slowly descend.

Ive managed to land on my belly, taxi and take off. I don't know what's going on with you. I had a video of it, but never uploaded to youtube and got wiped cause virus. :(

I've done belly landings in ArmA 2, you just suck.

Ouch! My feelings! At least I can feel secure that I'm up-to-date on my internet memes. :icon_smile:

Well my point was that it's way too easy to just explode when you scrape the ground. It's certainly not that hard in FSX even with crash tolerance set to zero.

This is what I mean:

3ed4ygrrKg8

Most FSX aircraft simply have no real damage model, thats it.

Try a belly landing in a more real to life Simulator like Lock On or IL-2 Sturmovilk and you will raley survive high speed belly landings simply because you will end in a burning and soon exploding wreck.

Look at :12, that literally makes no sense at all.

Look at :36, that literally makes no sense at all.

@Beagle: How so?

7ak3gBImhLI

I wouldn't mind belly landings in the rare event that the gear suffers problems. But I've never seen it happen myself (I'm not a flyboy though), and if others can make it happen I'll buy that. One mistake in the Arma video - you land with full tanks. If you know you have to do a belly landing you should be forced to bleed off the fuel. So it should only work if you have very little juice in the tanks - and thus only be rewarded to the really patient pilots. So, a lot of code for so little gain I guess...

Look at :36, that literally makes no sense at all.

What about that doesn't make sense...

What about that doesn't make sense...
The model has no correct contact points (scrape) defined in its .cfg...the wings just sink into ground...this means there ca'nt be any simulated damage from ground contact to it. In fact onykl very, very few FS aircraft, all of them high grade payware addons, have a damage model at all in FSX.

Did just a quick and dirty test with a success rate of 50% on belly landings. Seems it is down to these factors:

- full flaps

- approach as flat as possible

- speed at touchdown <200

- do not land on runway but on the dirt between runway and taxiway

I tried with Su-25, A-10 and L39, with all i could do successful belly landings if the above conditions are met.

is an example of me doing this witha C130, its not all that hard :) Edited by tyler4171