Sign in to follow this  
THEBLITZ6794

hiccupy performance

amd64x2 3800+

2 GHz

3GB RAM

geforce 9800gtx+

im constantly, even at minimum graphics, getting hiccupy performance where it runs smooth for awhile then just abruptly stops. tested on chernarus with 9800gtx+. tested all other maps with 8800gtSC (was worse with 8800 obviously)

I think you are really going to struggle to get good performance even with low settings with that rig. The CPU is really going to struggle (mostly responsible for fill rate and draw distance) is very borderline and I'm surprised you can play at all. I found my E8400 at 4ghz and radeon 4890 really struggled to give playable frame rates and you're using a cpu that I last used in 2007. Even if you upgrade cpu with the rest of that system you will not get good frame rate.

I spent £2000 on my rig and still not entirely happy with games performance

Two nvidia 460's overclocked in SLI plus a new motherboard plus a 4ghz i750

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-299-IN&tool=3

will get it running nicely for the cheapest price but frankly trying to do anything in this game with your current rig is pretty pointless. The minimum specs of this game are a joke as even with i7 920 at 4ghz plus 5970/5870 trifire I sometimes drop to 30fps with most settings at very high and v low post processing.

I think you are really going to struggle to get good performance even with low settings with that rig. The CPU is really going to struggle (mostly responsible for fill rate and draw distance) is very borderline and I'm surprised you can play at all. I found my E8400 at 4ghz and radeon 4890 really struggled to give playable frame rates and you're using a cpu that I last used in 2007. Even if you upgrade cpu with the rest of that system you will not get good frame rate.

I spent £2000 on my rig and still not entirely happy with games performance

wuts wrong with the rest of the system?

the video card and ram should be fine

You need a Quad core at least 2.6Ghz or more if possible.

I bet you would get a performance boost with 3.2ghz dual core, but I do not know if you would then be limited by your video card (I don't buy nvidia, so I dunno anything about them).

If your option is a slow quad vs a fast dual core, get the slow quad (maybe one that overlocks a little)...

"the video card and ram should be fine"

Well it depends what you mean by 'fine'. You need a quad core the faster the better and the video card is OK but don't expect an enjoyable gaming experience. I had my I7 at 4ghz and 4890 crossfire which (while a big improvement on E8400 and 4890) was still only capable of 40fps with moderate settings.

Arma 2 is THE most demanding PC game I know of and if you're replacing your cpu and mobo (which you really should) then I would get a SLI/crossfire capable motherboard and at least pair your current card with another.

9800 GTX is no quicker than a radeon 4850 which was released more than two years ago-You're trying to play the World's most demanding video game on low-to mid range hardware from two/three years ago it doesn't take a brain surgeon to appreciate you're going to get abyssmal performance.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,687620/ArmA-2-tested-Benchmarks-with-18-CPUs/Practice/

Follow the link for an idea where your system stands

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Bear in mind they're using a 4890-much faster than a 9800GTX and a cpu Athlon 64 4000 rather than 3800x2 and THEY get average 9 frames per second-none of dual core athlons can break 20fps so if you're happy with under 20fps good luck!

Edited by Jacky60