Sign in to follow this  
gossamersolid

Gossamer's Warfare --- Variant of Warfare BE

I've written a short guide on getting started with gw. It's a 25 MB download, as it contains quite a number of screenshots:

Playing Gossamer's Warfare

It's based on the HGs edition of gw, but it should be general enough to cover the std edition as well.

TeTeT

well done..you should have added a screenie for the facs..where the vehicles spawn, to make it more clear for "newbie" commaders, so they don't mess up the factory and vehicles spawns inside a building or so ..But overall good thing

Some dude that is part of one of the last communities playing Gossamer's Warfare added me on steam to ask me if I could fix two bugs:

- Build interface can be exploited to build into other objects/out of the build radius if you click fast

- Respawning can take longer than the counter says if your client FPS is low

So I thought, what the hell, I'll go ahead and fix it up a bit so these guys can have a better experience.

So far from what I can tell, the building exploit is now fixed by simply making it so that the condition starts as false (meaning it's not a proper location) and then it does it check on whether or not it's a valid location. Now, I didn't write the original build interface, but I'm not sure why it was ever the other way around (the code assumed it was a valid location, then went to do a check and changed it. This mean that when the client FPS was lower, they could easily see a 1 second gap and use that as an exploit). I've only been able to test this fix myself, so it'll of course need some real testing to verify it's fixed.

As for the respawn interface, I know the exact issue. At one point in time (cannot remember exactly what version I started this on), I made the respawn interface update the respawn points dynamically (meaning if an enemy captured something or a building was destroyed, you couldn't spawn on it). The code I used was merely supposed to be a placeholder (During the spawn loop, I recalculate all spawn points... but think about if the team has Logistics lvl 3 and has a bunch of towns under the possession as well as a lot already going on in the client. Every second it was trying to recalculate that and it just couldn't handle it).

I'm now re-doing the respawn code so that it builds a list of available spawn locations which you can pick from. During the actual respawn time ticking, it will not update these positions. Upon the respawn timer hitting zero seconds, the player will not automatically spawn. They will have to click a "respawn" button to confirm the selection. Upon clicking that button, the interface will ensure it's still a valid spawn point, if not, it will re-build the spawn points and wait for the player's selection again. While this is not a PERFECT solution, it's a much much much better one than what we have now. This also allows the player to ensure they are at the right spawn point. No more picking a camp, losing the camp at 1 second and ending up back at the MHQ by accident.

Besides these two major changes, I've made a lot of changes over the time of the last "playable" version (v3.04d I believe) and what code I have now. I haven't had the time or people to test all of these changes. Of course I've replaced the networking system with one that was provided to me by Domination creator Xeno. This system is written very well and ensures network related actions do not degrade over the course of the game. It also ensures very high accuracy in network related functions running (If you've played 3.04d, I've used this network system for the PM System and the Kill messages already). v3.05 will have every networking function on this new system, which is exciting as it is a noticeable difference, but like I said, haven't done much testing so a lot of things might be broken.

In the background, I've also re-written a lot of the Town initialization system. Towns can now be given ownership from the get go (by default they are owned by the Resistance of course). This was written to allow people to make quick start maps (each side starts with 5 towns) or even an invasion gamemode (One team starts with a majority of towns and the other side has to attack them).

Something I haven't touched and that I know a lot of people wanted me to touch was the Equipment Purchasing interface. I hate working with GUIs in ArmA to begin with and I certainly don't want to touch this thing. It'd take a lot of time to re-design it as well as re-code the functionality. A lot of people have told me "just ask Benny to use his interface", but I'd really prefer not to take anything else of his (I mean, this warfare version is already based off of an old code base of Warfare BE).

Mando missile system has been removed from 3.05. I have a feeling this change is going to bring a lot of anger/disappointment, but hear me out. When I originally added Mando to Gossamer's Warfare, it was in the ArmA 2 days (pre-Operation Arrowhead). We didn't have counter-measures on aircraft back then and it was incredibly frustrating to be constantly shot down by Tunguskas across the map. I was hesitant to add Mando to warfare in the first place because it was a very large scripted system. Scripted systems are never the best solution in this series and everybody knows that. My number 1 issue with Mando Missile Mod is that it basically becomes useless when the server/client fps degrades (which ALWAYS happens in every single match). It's not really Mando's fault, that's just how it is... scripts will begin to fail (especially complex ones like Mando) when the FPS is low. Aircraft loadouts will be re-balanced by the Build unit script (as they are now) to better transition the loss of Mando's better locking system and missile handling. No aircraft will have Anti-Air capabilities anymore. Aircraft can still attempt to shoot each other down with their cannons (if they have them), but they won't be locking on to each other. AA will be reserved for ground units. This means aircraft's primary role will be air support for ground elements (that's how it should be).

I can't think of anything else to say right now, so that's it.

We have a server running Gossamer's Warfare with a couple tweaks. We would be happy to test 3.05.

We use to host the AWP version and just switched to OA version. Players are a little disappointed with the weaker vehicles in the OA version.

A non-OA version would be cool on regular Arma2....we would get a lot more players on the server....with no TK'ers!

Edited by Kurrency

We have a server running Gossamer's Warfare with a couple tweaks. We would be happy to test 3.05.

We use to host the AWP version and just switched to OA version. Players are a little disappointing weaker vehicles in the OA version.

A non-OA version would be cool on regular Arma2....we would get a lot more players on the server....with no TK'ers!

I have gone in and tweaked a few things to mirror how we play CTI on your map. I have transferred over our old addon pack into Gossamers Warfare to have better quality vehicles and a wider variety such the MRAP, Stryker, T-80, T-64, etc. And after reading on what you have done with the current version without mando, in which some of the old guys that have been playing since the OFP days don't like, it would make for a better game for those guys. I like the mando system because it brings a more realistic feel like the VBS system I was accustom to while in the Marine Corps for combat simulation and actual flying time. But, for a video game, mando places a load on the server degrading it after a long period of time as stated. If I may, I would like to take a look at the new version and would love to take a shot at adding the Gunny's addon pack to it with the better vehicles and ships. It's been a great experience to see the CTI or the old RTS type maps like yours here. Thanks for the work put into it. Our server that has your retweak version is "Warhouse" in CO.

Cheers!

Gunny JD